“Lovely beach”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Toronto
“Lovely beach”
Reviewed December 22, 2009

Stayed a week at BlueBay Cayo Coco in Sept. 2009. Absolutely gorgeous hotel, brand new, made in two storey bungalows.
Not too far away from the airport, friendly staff. Greeted by complimentary drinks. Bartenders seem to know what they doing, if not, a menu is always available at the bar with over a hundred drinks for you to choose from.
Food was surprisingly good. Steaks and chicken breasts cooked daily, salad bar and many other choices.
Swimming pool is gorgeous, lighten up at night. Main bar is great also, have after hours snack bar. Huge stage for night entertainment and it's always packed with people rehearsing for the night shows.
The only little disapointment was closure of pool bar. It seemed that everytime you wanted the drinks, had to swim to the bar and wait there till one of the bartenders from main bar would see you and make you a drink.
Rooms was great. I would recommend second floor, as you get a little balcony where you can hang your clothes to dry.
Gorgeous beach, one of a few i've seen this gorgeous. Stunning clear blue water with white sand. Absolutely amazing. If you walk couple of hundred meters you will end up in different resort, however, i've noticed they used our beach as it was much nicer.
There seem to be a problem with jellyfish when i was there, however, it was easy to avoid it.
The place does get raided by little mosquitoes in the evening and hotel staff does great job spraying the bushes and common areas to prevent this attacks. However i do advise you to bring a repellent.
Fitness center and tennis courts are amazing. The observation tower in the middle of the resort does add some spice to it, as it great for picture taking and wedding ceremonies.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Guamokolatoking

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (934)
  • Polish first
Pembroke
Reviewed December 20, 2009

Mu husband and I stayed at the blue bay Dec. 5th until Dec. 12th and had a very relaxing vacation. Reading the past reveiws yes they are pretty accurate. Never before when I stayed in Cuba did we have a problem with bugs but my husband got bitten a lot but I think it is because he was at the beach early in the morning. I had no problem. The beach was the best and the weather was perfect. My husband and I may come back for a second time the staff is wondeful. My husband and I have travelled to Cuba seven times and everyone complains about the food but I always find something to eat and the past station is always good. We met some great people while on vacation and yes they made it fun for us for sure .......just relax and enjoy the sunshine and wonderful beach.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
North Bay
Reviewed December 18, 2009

Left Toronto airport an hour late due to weather, but were happy to leave the winter behind. Our Westjet flight was pretty uneventful and smooth. Landed around 2:45 in Cayo Coco, hot, sunny, and windy. Saw the 'temperature-gauging machine" as we were all coralled through an area before going through customs.

We were met at the hotel with a nice cocktail, and the check in was really quick. Our rep gave us our hotel card on the bus, so we had it filled out already. We just handed it to the front desk and got our key. I had emailed Ademir the manager with a request for a nice room with a king-sized bed, and my request was fulfilled. We were given room 2217 with a great view. The room had 2 cans of cola and 1 large bottle of water. Some tiny ants on the bathroom counter that stayed the entire week, but they didn't bother me at all.

We were told at the front desk that the deposit for a beach towel was 20 pesos (payable at the front desk), but we could not pick up our towels until 10am the next morning. Oh well, other things to do until then.

There is a 24 hour snack bar that serves sandwiches (ham & cheese), hamburgers, hotdogs, and french fries. Pretty good food, but often a bit of a line up. The buffet was great - lots of variety, and always something freshly prepared: a pasta bar, a grill to get chicken, beef, pork, fish, cooked to your liking. Service was good.

The piano bar made great drinks - anything you like. But at times it was a long wait, only 1 bartender no matter what time of day or night.

The beach bar had great service, never had to wait long for a drink, but not as much variety. Also, there are no restrooms anywhere close to the beach - we walked back and forth from our room.

The beach was spectacular - one of the best we've been to. Crystal clear water, no rocks, coral, or weeds. Smooth, clean sand. Saw a few little fish, and only 2 days of jellyfish. The first day my husband was stung by one. He related it to being stung by a bunch of insects at once. A little painful, but it went away quickly. We saw no other jellyfish until our very last day when we counted 50+ along the shallows, and went to the pool :) Just a note about 'holding chairs' at the beach: We often went down just before breakfast, put our things on a chair, and returned 5-10 minutes later to spend the whole morning. Some days we could not get shade at the beach as people were holding chairs all day without ever going (at least I never saw them claim their chairs). The workers on the beach who clean your chair for you were holding chairs for people too. Sometimes these people would not show up for hours. grrr. Ok, rant over.

The pool was nice, never had a problem getting a seat, or a drink at the swim-up bar.

The lighting was not good at night around the resort, very dark. I can't comment too much on the entertainment either, but the bits we caught looked ok, typical.

For the price, I think we got a good deal. Not sure if I'd go back, but had a good time.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank zimmyNorthBay
guelph
Reviewed December 12, 2009

Note: If you are going to the Blue Bay and live in Ontario around Toronto - London area, and would like to take a suitcase of goods for the Cuban people, I would like to hear from you as I have a suitcase full of goods for them and would like to send it. I will pay the extra money for it. Please write [--]

My review:
This is a new hotel and the buildings and rooms were clean and new. Our room had a sofa plus 2 double beds plus we could see the ocean from the balcony even though it wasn't an ocean room. We found 2 very luxurious beach towels waiting in our room, plus a bottle of champagne, and 3 rums. The staff at this hotel really makes you feel wanted and welcome. They are also very responsive when called for anything. I asked for 3 extra pillows and they were sent immediately.

The buffet was very good always having chicken, pork, fish and beef. They had wonderful tasting fresh fish that you can get cooked right infront of you to your specifications. They have garlic and oil, hot sauce, onions etc. that they cook with your food. We really liked the food. Their salads were also very good. They had leaf lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions plus much more. We really really liked the Italian a la carte! Finally a chef in Cuba who knows how to make a good spaghetti sauce! I ordered spaghetti with the spicy tomato sauce and liked it so much we came back the next night. Howwever, during low season in September, they alternate nights and it was the International restaurant. It was also excellent. Cubans have learned to make really delicious sauces for their meats. I had the port tenderloins covered in a sauce that was absolutely wonderful. The a la carte restaurant was beautifully decorated as were the tables with formal waiters and atmosphere. The buns and butter they served were soft fresh and delicious.

The pool bar has great hamburgers. They made me hamburgers and reuben sandwiches (cooked pressed between the grill till the chese melts) to go for Pilar Beach.

The front desk was responsive and efficient and very accommodating. The pool was large and beautifully done with a swim-up bar. Now the beach: Could there possibly be a more pristine crystal clear perfect white sand beach than this? We have travelled to many beaches but this one takes all. It was in a bay so you did not get heavy waves crashing on you. You could easily swim without fighting waves. This place is perfect for children as it has a very gradual grade and is shallow for a long time. You certainly would never worry about your children's safety here. The water would be at their knees for 50 feet out. There is also good shade on the beach. No problem getting a lounge in the shade. There is also a good beach bar with excellent service.

There were NO mosquitos. We read about mosquitos but we did not see even one! Every night they fog so they have good control on them. The weather was 90 plus degrees with beautiful sun shinny weather. The water was very warm. I loved that! My husband went out fishing the flats with the hotel contact and said the boat and day was very professionally done. Because the hotel was new, the vegetation is still young. In a few years it will have beautifully manicured gardens. We go to the caribbean 3 times a year. To the Mayan Riviera, Punta Cana, Holguin, Santa Maria, etc. and we often go to 5 star resorts. This one was worth far more than they charged for this trip. I would definitely recommend this to people with small kids, couples, and retirees like us. It is a lot of vacation for the money. Cayo Coco is a very safe place also. We always felt perfectly safe. No one trying to sell you things on the beach. Perfect serenity. It is funny, but I liked this hotel better than some of the 5 stars we have been at. The beach is perfect, the a la cartes have superior cuisine and class, the rooms are large. Good reading lights by your bed. All the things I personally like.

Sharon C. Guelph, Ontario, Canada

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sharonroxanne
Ontario
Reviewed December 12, 2009

From the moment we entered the resort we were treated amazingly well.
Front reception has everything in order upon arrival, and within minutes of many travellers getting off the bus we had our rooms allocated to us. The snack bar servers/(bartenders) put in many long hours each day and always with a warm smile! Juan, and Vidjma thanks so much! Our day time servers were Hamlet and Rolando who always went the extra mile to make sure you had everything, from wine to orange juice to ketchup! Also the evening server Renee made our suppers extra special with his warm and energetic style! They were great.

Our rooms were well appointed with a large king bed, bathrooms with plenty of towels, and our maid Vidgami was extremely helpful, and went above and beyond making our stay very comfortable.

Our block 20 was right in the heart of all the food areas, the pool, and reception, which we really appreciated! And to our surprise we all were registered in the same block! And it was only a 3 minute walk to the beach! Awe the beach and the ocean is breathtaking! The sand is like flour, the ocean a paradise to behold! Lots of sunbeds, and palapatas on the beach for the sunnier days! We saw only 2 jellyfish in the 7 days we were there, and very little pesty no see ums did not like our blood! I would recommend a bug spray for the dusk hours. Every evening they sprayed the complex and tried to control the mesquito population. The cappucinno bar/piano bar is also a great area to hang out after dinner before the show!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank JohanVan
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2009

My boyfriend and I went for a week with our 3 month old daughter. Generally, things were good but there were some flaws and annoyances. Our room was nice, they gave us a nice big playpen for the baby (we ended up just putting her in bed with us but it was nice to have it just in case). We encountered a few glitches with the air conditioner over the week but nothing really devastating. One major annoyance - our desk was crawling with tiny white bugs (termites?). Every few days we sprayed it down with bug spray and that seemed to keep them at bay, but it was really a hassle, and kind of gross. Besides that the room was clean, cool, spacious, no other bugs anywhere.

The food, of course, was not the best. The grilling stations at the buffet are the best choice, although chances are you will get very tough meat no matter where you go. There is tons of fruit although it is fairly colourless and flavourless. The 24 hour snack bar was very useful, although the food got pretty monotonous and 3 out of the 5 I was traveling with came down with mild cases of food poisoning. A tip: if you like ketchup they have it, but you have to get it out of the shorter bottles that are labeled "bangor", or else it will not taste like the ketchup you're used to.

The beach was beautiful and wonderful, although we encountered a handful of jellyfish which kind of put us on edge while swimming - but that's not the hotel's fault. We saw lots of fish, even without going on any excursions or snorkeling. Lots of neat seashells, too. There's usually noproblem finding a chair in the shade... even if you can't find a palapas to go under there's a nice cover of palm trees at the back of the beach and an abundance of chairs you can drag wherever you want. Be warned though - one day I went down to the beach at dusk and I was eaten alive! I'm covered in mosquito bites that I didn't even notice I was getting, for the most part. The mosquitos are tiny but they are fierce.

My boyfriend and my dad rented a car and drove to Moron, instead fo paying for the excursion there and they had a great time - something to consider if you don't want to pay a lot.

Definitely, definitely bring some pepto bismol, as it seems that stomach problems happen fairly often and the gift shop doesn't have any. There are lots of neat vendors selling trinkets and souvenirs at a decent price which are definitely worth checking out.

The front desk was very accomodating; we blew a fuse with our adapter and they lent us one for the week.

Yeah. So in general, it was a nice vacation with not many problems - but the problems we had were reeeally annoying ones. Would I come back? Yeah, but only if I got a good deal, haha.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
OAKVILLE
Reviewed December 11, 2009

We were down at BB from Nov 28 - Dec 5th. The weather was wonderful. Rooms are clean. Resort is on the small side but that's okay.
Drinks were below par - my one and only margarita ended up in the bushes. I don't like a pina colada made with sugar in the bottom, they're sweet enough. I resorted to drinking diet coke, wine and vodka tonic - that's the end of it. My husband thought the food was absolutely appalling. I'm not that fussy and can make a meal of what's offered but they really didn't have much variety. Loved the fish; hated the beef and pork. I saw people in the International Restaurant who could NOT cut through their pork tenderloin.
Beach is nice but narrow. Lots of jellyfish and absolutely no shore snorkeling.
The bugs were HORRENDOUS. I came home with roughly 200 bites from the no-see-ums or "hei-hengs" as the locals call them. There was one man at the resort who had about 350 bites and had seen the doctor and had to receive 3 separate cortizone shots. I tried repellant, and afterbite and nothing really work. It's now the 11 of Dec and I'm still scratching and still have scabs on the tops of some bites. Pilar beach was pretty, but is really just more of the same.
Best day was our very last day there. We did the all day catamaran excursion to the reef to snorkel and have a lobster lunch. This was the highlight of our trip. We have been to Holguin and Veradero before, and I will not go back to Cayo Coco. This trip just reaffirmed my love of Mexico.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — biting bugs
  • Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Finssup