“Beautiful beach, otherwise just an "okay" vacation.”

Memories Caribe Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful beach, otherwise just an "okay" vacation.”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Traveled October 30-Nov 6 with husband and two kids (7 and 3).

We booked this trip fairly last minute as a “value” vacation just to get away with the kids for a week. We just paid for a 5* vacation to Mexico (adults only)in September – so with this trip we wanted to save some money. For the four of us to go for one week (taxes and departure fee in) was $2140. For the same week of travel for four people to Mexico/Dominican etc. we would usually have paid between $3600 and $4200 – so please keep that in mind when reading reviews and making your decision. Though it may be ranked as a 4* resort, you can’t really compare it to a 4* resort that is double the price.

SUMMARY

Book this hotel if you are a laid back, easy going traveler who doesn’t sweat the small stuff. You want to park your bottom on a beautiful beach, but don’t want to go too far from home (flight from Toronto was only 3.5 hours!). Good value for your money.

Do not book this hotel if you are easily stressed when things go wrong, run out, or get broken. If you’re very particular about hygiene and food, you may want to pass on this location.
Most of the issues with the resort can be explained by the social and economic climate in Cuba – so if you can be forgiving and let little things slide, you should be fine.

CHECK-IN AND ARRIVAL

The check in process as you board the bus is GREAT. Nothing worse than being travel weary, finally arriving at your hotel, then having to wait in line. We were able to go straight to our room despite the fact we arrived several hours before check-in. When we got to our room we had no toilet paper, no toiletries, no towels and no pillows. This was a bit distressing as the kids had to use the washroom immediately. It took two calls and about two hours but the maid did come by with the missing items. It took about an hour for the luggage to be delivered to the room. The bell boys sort of hung around looking for a tip, but we hadn’t been to exchange our money yet, so it was a bit of an awkward moment.

ROOM

The room was quite basic and in a bit of disrepair, but overall it was clean. There was some peeling paint, missing light bulbs, and broken tiles in the bath leading to exposed wood. There was a bit of a musty smell, but it was so humid it was to be expected. The two beds were very small (maybe a few inches wider than your standard North American twin bed) so they came by with a roll-a-way bed for us. We asked if they had mistakenly brought us only the box spring and not the mattress. This bed was AWFUL. Might as well have slept on the floor. We were short a pillow all week and unable to get another.

HOUSEKEEPING

The maids came every day and spent a few minutes in the room. They swept, wiped the toilet and straightened out the bed linens. We had two changes of towels (4 bath towels, 2 face clothes and 2 robes each times) and one change of bed linens during our stay. We were not able to change our beach towels until the afternoon before we left, so we didn’t bother. We did bring towels of our own so it was not a big deal.

BUGS

We requested a ground floor so we could sit and watch the kids run around – which was great, but also meant there were a lot of ants. They seemed pretty harmless (they were very small), but they did like to make their way to the bathroom counter in great numbers. Keep your toiletries zipped up if you can!
Mosquitos at night were not too bad. I would certainly recommend bringing bug spray for the evenings.
My husband ended up getting bitten a lot by what we think must have been sand fleas on the beach. I stopped counting his bites when I got to 104. The kids and I escaped with only about a dozen each. Might be a good idea to bring some AfterBite (helped with his itching).

POOL

The pool area is good. We had no trouble finding a place to sit, especially in the morning. The pool was a bit chilly for my liking, but did feel refreshing after being in the hot sun all day. There were few broken and missing tiles, but otherwise the water seemed pretty clean and we saw staff vacuum it out every day in the early morning.

BEACH

This was my favorite thing about the resort and the reason we booked it in the first place. The sand is very fine and soft, the water is calm and warm and very shallow. During high tide, the kids could still stand with the water just up to their hips, but during low tide (9-2ish seemed to be prime time), they could walk out pretty far just up to their ankles. We saw a few jelly fish after a heavy morning rain, but they were pretty easy to spot and avoid. The beach gets busy during the first half of the day. To have your pick of chairs you would want to arrive prior to 9:00/9:30. If you have little kids you don’t need to worry about them being knocked over by big waves – they’ll love this beach!

DRINKS

I cannot stress enough that you NEED to bring a travel mug or beverage container of some type with you. The bigger the better. We didn’t and I regretted it very much. Beverages are served in tiny plastic cups. The taste of drinks was mediocre – you won’t get fancy frozen, blended drinks, but what they served sufficed. My husband was not a huge fan of the beer, but you can buy Becks or Corona for $1.00 each at the store. Drinks for the kids were hit or miss. No real fruit juice, and sometimes the juice tasted funny, or they would run out. We drank a lot of water. Not water from taps of course, but they delivered 1.5 L of bottles to the room every day.

FOOD

I did not find the food to be great, but we were able to fill up our bellies every meal. Not much variety in the meals, but we did like the omelette station in the mornings. I did enjoy the selection of desserts after lunch and dinner. The 24 hour snack bar is a very good idea. The hot dogs, burgers and pizza were good. The kids enjoyed eating here. I would recommend getting to the buffet meals during the first half of the time slot as a lot of stuff would run out and not be replaced. What was left would show up again at the next meal , but a lot of what was “wrong” with the food and supply could be explained by Cuban economy and agriculture, and isn’t necessarily an issue with this specific resort.

ENTERTAINMENT

My kids loved the ladies who ran the kids club activities. They were very friendly and encouraging and I think my kids had a better vacation for it. The mini disco was also a lot of fun! We enjoyed doing the dance lessons. Always something going on to keep little one occupied. We also took my 7 year old horseback riding on the beach twice. $10 for adults, $5 for kids for a one hour trip up and down the beach. She loved it and we got to see some beautiful scenery.

GROUNDS

This is a pretty resort to walk through. Nice variety in tropical plants and flowers. The staff keep the grounds pretty clean, but the guests aren’t much help here. There are a lot of garbage cans, so it would have been nice to see everyone using them. Many guests would just toss their cups/napkins/cigarette butts etc. on the ground. It’s kind of awful to be surrounded by all of this natural beauty and have plastic cups float up beside you.

MAINTENANCE

This is where I think the resort needs to improve for longevity’s sake. I asked my husband how old he thought the resort was. He guessed that it was built in 1990. When I told him it was actually constructed in 2008 he was shocked. There are simple things, like actually bolting down the light posts properly so they don’t blow over and smash in the wind, and more serious things, like the effect mould and mildew will have on the structural integrity over time (ie. Water was trickling from my shower through a hole in the wall onto the wooden beams framing the bathroom). If they don’t invest some serious time and money into this place, I can’t see it still being operational in ten years – which is a real shame as it has tons of potential and is in a great location.

HYGIENE

The only thing I was severely disappointed with were the bathrooms in the public areas of the resort. Only once did I find any soap (lobby bathroom), and it almost became an exciting thing to find toilet paper well stocked. A messy bathroom would remain in that condition for an entire day, sometimes into the next day. The bathrooms by the pool and restaurant were not well kept. If the washroom facilities for the guests are like that, I worry about the washrooms for the staff – which may explain why my kids and I became violently ill on our last day. We unfortunately had to spend our trip home suffering from severe gastrointestinal distress and dehydration. Better the end of the trip than the start I guess! I would recommend being well stocked with pepto bismol and immodium for your trip. Carry some t.p. and hand sanitizer in your pocket or purse while you’re out and about.

MISC. TRAVEL TIPS

Money is the Cuban Convertible Peso. You unfortunately cannot change your money prior to arriving in Cuba. There is a bank at the airport, but you can also change your money at the hotel desk (I would recommend waiting until arriving at the hotel as some of the passengers on the bus going to the hotel grew a little impatient waiting for a few people to exchange their money) . You won’t get the posted exchange rate at either though. Google listed the exchange at 96.49 Canadian to 1 CUC the day we left but we were offered 88 CUC for 100 Canadian. Don’t bring American money – they will exchange it, but you’ll take an even bigger hit with surcharges. There is also plenty of opportunity to change your money back while waiting for your return plane at the airport.

Immigration was pretty straight forward both in and out. A little bit of a line, but it moved fairly quickly and this area is air conditioned. Cuba requests that you approach their customs officers one at a time (kids excluded) and you will need to fill out a visa form on the flight to Cuba (they take half, you must keep the other half safe for your departure).
You also need to pay $25 CUC per person in order to leave the country. This is done right after bag checking and before customs.

If you’re traveling from Canada, your electrical appliances should work. You may need a voltage converter if it’s not a dual voltage appliance (check on the label to see if it says something similar to 110v-220v, most things do). The voltage in the bathroom is 110, which will suffice for electric shavers. The 220v plugs in the room will accommodate flat 2 or 3 prong plugs – even if polarized. It looks like they are made to also accommodate the round (European?) style plugs.

In 2010 Cuba started requiring that visitors show proof of travel insurance (or buy it upon arriving). When I called my insurance company to obtain travel cards with our names they told me this was no longer the case. We took them anyway, just in case but were not asked to show proof.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
13 Thank Jenna S
eynel v, Director of Sales at Memories Caribe Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Jenna S,

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay in our hotel and all the explanation you give to the other passengers who read it. We are very sorry for the inconveniences you had to face while being here, so we hope you can visit us once again and that you go home with a better thinking on our hotel and the services we offer.
Please, do not hesitate to let us know if you are coming back for if we can be of any assistance.
Sales Commercial Hotel Memories Caribe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (946)
  • Polish first
Timmins, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My boyfriend and I went to memories caribe for 1 week as our first vacation outside of Canada. The staff was excellent and organised. We chose the diamond club and our room was excellent. We went in April and the weather was amazing! The staff entertaining at night were very good. The resort has scooters available for rent (25$ for 24hrs), which we used to explore the island. We felt very safe exploring, definitely suggest visiting Pilar beach, even though the beach at memories caribe is excellent. I was disappointed with the drinks offered at the resort (there were no fruity type "girl" drinks), and the majority of drinks were very strong. The buffet was good at supper, but kind of plain for lunch and breakfast. We definitely enjoyed memories caribe resort and would enjoy returning but our next trip to cuba will be at memories flamingo because the food and drinks look better :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cottage-girl-12
eynel v, Director of Sales at Memories Caribe Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear cottage-girl-12,

Thanks a lot for posting your opinion about your holidays in our hotel.
At Memories Caribe Cayo Coco we are committed to enhance and improve staff attitude and quality service.
Your review shows us that we are in the right track and still we have a lot to work to do.
Please, do not hesitate to let us when you are coming back and if we can be of any assistance.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Lots of people talk about the beach, food, and amenities at this resort but I wanted to talk about places to snorkel right off the beach because it took us a while to find these spots but they were well worth it. There is quite a bit of sand on this beach, so it was hard to find any spots that were snorkel worthy. When you get down to the beach, you can walk to the left to the Playa Coco resort. You will see dark patches in the water and those are rock formations. You don't have to swim in very far to see lots of interesting fish. If you continue further out towards the darker grassy area and then go further left, you will see even more coral and plants.
The other way to go once you get down to the beach at Memories Caribe is to the right. This is a good 20-30 minute walk around the point and close to the mouth of the lagoon. Go straight out and again, lots of coral and fish.

Room Tip: Our room looked out over the large lagoon on the 2nd floor. Awesome view in the mornings with your...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 375Jan
Dear 375Jan,

Thank you very much for having posted your comment regarding your stay at our hotel. We are glad to know that you liked the hotel and the beach. It is not because it is ours, but it is one of the best around here!!!
We really appreciate your nice words and hope to receive you once again.
Best Wishes and have a nice day,
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Our Booking: We just returned from a week's stay (December 28-January 4) with family of 4 including 2 children under 12. We had a Junior Suite with Al Fresco shower, and also paid at time of booking for the Diamond Club upgrade. Flew Sunwing, and as a "Signature Vacation", but travelers should know that Sunwing, Signature, Sell-Off Vacations, and the Memories family of Cuban resorts are all owned and operated by the same Canadian company.

The Arrival: The airport arrival was quick and efficient, with Diamond Club being received and taken to the resort on our own bus. We were from the airport to resort in about 20 minutes, and received all check-in materials and bracelets on the bus. Although we arrived in the morning before noon, our room was ready, and all we had to do was go and change for the beach. Luggage was brought to our room promptly by staff. The room was as described, and as others have mentioned in these reviews, clean and tidy but somewhat worn looking in spots. Water pressure and hot water were never an issue for us even with the resort at full capacity over the holidays. The fixtures in the bathroom need replacing as they are cosmetically worn, and the shower head in the outdoor shower needed to be re anchored to the wall.

The Beach: The beach is honestly as incredible as the pictures show, and as others have mentioned in their reviews. The sand is white, the water is clear and turquoise. I am often skeptical when looking at photos online and in travel brochures, as sometimes pictures have been enhanced or photoshopped; but this beach is truly magnificent. You don't need beach shoes or water socks, there are no rocks or coral as you walk into the water. At low tide, you can walk out seemingly forever. It is shallow and calm, and even on a windy day the water is shallow enough to not be too rough for little kids or the water-shy. The water-sports building is well-staffed and the folks there were helpful and knowledgable. The kayaks, paddle-boats and Hobie Cat (catamarans) were in good condition. Although we took our own snorkeling gear, they had masks, fins and snorkels available for sign-out. Staff will take you out on a Hobie Cat for a 30 minute ride, included in the price of your stay. They also offer a snorkel trip to a gorgeous reef about 5 km away at a cost of 20 pesos per adult and 10 pesos per child with a private guide. We took this trip, and as it was a bit of a windy day and the water rough, my husband and son didn't snorkel. As a result, they didn't charge us for them at all, refused to take payment! Very capable and lovely guide staff. This was a trip of a lifetime, the reef was incredible and fish spectacular to see. I'd highly recommend this excursion ~ just ask at the watersport building. If you walk about 5 minutes down the beach to the left, Hotel Playa Coco's beach is white sand, but a much rockier entry to the water. However, if you are into snorkeling or even just want to look into the clear water at fish, there is a little coral reef right at the water's edge. Even non-swimmers can walk into the waist deep water and see some amazing fish here. We easily spotted a Lion fish and Angel fish swimming right around us. Grab some bread the night before at the buffet, and let it go stale in your room; take it along, and the fish will eat it out of your hand. Incredible! Lounging on the beach is easy to do all day long. There's a bar right there, a pizza station (delicious and custom made for you as you wait), a BBQ station (the hamburgers and pulled-pork sandwiches were excellent), and as we were on the Diamond Club side, chairs were always available no matter how busy the beach. There was waiter service for Diamond Club, but seriously, the bar isn't that far from your chair... the guys on the beach hustle and bring you occasional slices of pizza and drinks as requested, but don't expect a full-time dedicated butler. Bottom line~ the employees are working hard for tips, and if you're really thirsty, rather than wait, just get out of your chair and go to the bar. Service there is fast and professional. And the walk isn't that far at all.

Food (Buffet and a la Carte): Much has been written on this topic. It's Cuba. The food is different. If you want Tim Horton's and McDonalds, then stay home. There is a large selection for everyone, and even picky eaters will find pizza, pasta, fries, and enough bread to stay full and happy. The buffet has a good selection, and it changes a bit every day and at each meal. The seafood is fresh and one of the highlights. Breads, rolls and pastries are delightful. Baked fresh daily. Omelette and eggs station as well as pancake station great for breakfast. There were custom stir-fry, pasta, and fish stations for lunches and dinner. Tabasco sauce was available to be added to your custom cooked creation if you wished something with a little kick. The New Year's Eve buffet was out of this world, and the roast beef was some of the best I've ever had, carved fresh in front of you as you waited. There was lobster (meaty and great), crab, roasted pork, and a large variety of rice, potatoes, salads and sides. Incredible. Service at the buffet was always excellent, you are quicly asked what you'd like to drink, and water, juice, and wine is refreshed as needed. Servers all polite and smiling. Most have excellent English, and even better French. We had also a la Carte at the Italian and International restaurants. Italian was fine, but nothing memorable in terms of the menu. Service was attentive and excellent. International was essentially Mediterranean, and the food was better there. The seafood bisque entree was very good. Service again was excellent. We were to have a Cuban style dinner on the beach, but the night was super windy and we opted instead to visit the buffet. Diamond Club has the option of a private lunch from Monday -Friday in the International restaurant, but we were happy to eat the offerings at the beach so I'm unable to review that option.

Drinks: No complaints at all. Bartenders are friendly and always eager to please. Inventive when asked, but are solid on the basics too. If you want a great Mojito, go to the snack bar/bar near the pool. The mobile bar behind the churro stand at the pool also serves great frothy cold cocktails. Perfect in the heat. The kids always got fun looking virgin drinks as well; they would ask for a 'kids special' and not be disappointed! Beer is beer, and considering that Cuba's breweries are partly owned and managed by Labatt Canada, you can count on ales and lagers that are pretty familiar tasting. Coffee is good, and the specialties served at the piano bar near the lobby are excellent. They are open all day as well, and this is a great air-conditioned location to enjoy a hot coffee on a hot day. Pianists at night are quite good and have a wide repertoire, thought the baby grand could use a tuning.

Entertainment: There are events all day and all night, in multiple locations through the resort. All that we saw were well-done and professional. Kids are kept entertained and our children joined a few games and contests. The entertainment staff work hard and long hours, but always are enthusiastic and amazing. Strolling musicians were often in the buffet and a la Carte restaurants, a pleasant way to enjoy your meal. We didn't visit the disco.

Diamond Club: I'm not sure that this was really worth the upgrade, though the difference in cost for us at the time of booking was small. The separate bus to and from the airport was convenient and got us to the hotel and back to the airport faster than the rest of the guests. Not a big deal, but helpful when heading home as we got to the check-in desk at the airport first, and avoided some of the long lines. Our Diamond Club came with the Junior Suite, which as worth it for the extra bit of space, quiet, and outdoor shower. There are premium drinks free of charge for Diamond Club and these can be found at the bar near the pool (stage side, not the swim-up bar) as well as in the piano bar near the lobby. If you must have a single malt Scotch or Beefeater gin, then this might be important for you. Otherwise, not a big deal. Having a guaranteed chair on the beach was worth it, as the Diamond Club has a small private section of palapas/sunshades on the beach. If having a few extra a la Carte meals is important to you, then the Diamond Club gets you those. We didn't use the spa services at all, so I can't comment on whether the Diamond Club discount is worth it or not at the spa. If you have other specific questions about Diamond Club or other Memories Caribe questions, please feel free to e-mail me and I'll be happy to respond.

Service in general: Staff are very friendly and helpful overall. Language is not a barrier, even if you only speak English. Tipping is clearly expected and abundant, but we didn't tip all the time, and apart from the maid service, I can't say that we noticed a difference when we didn't tip. We chose to tip for exemplary service or to those employees who went the extra mile. Maid service was amazing, room was always very clean and each morning we found creative towel and linen creatures that the kids especially loved. Fresh hibiscus flowers were left in the bathroom. The maid made the tired room sparkle, and it made all the difference. Gardeners work incredibly hard, and the grounds are lovely, well kept, and clean. We had no issues with finding toilet paper, the lobby and public washrooms were well kept and stocked each time we used them. Desk staff were helpful, and the only complaint we had was that our toilet got plugged and it took 6 requests over 26 hours before it was properly fixed. We spoke with management and hopefully they will correct this issue, as it is unacceptable to have an unoperational toilet for more than a day.

Bottom line: Cayo Coco is an ecologically preserved island off the coast of Cuba. It is home only to resorts, and has no residential areas. If you are looking a a beautiful piece of paradise with incredible beaches, swimming, snorkeling and birds, then this is likely for you. Memories Caribe is located ideally on likely the best beach on the island. It's close to the airport, but not close enough to watch the planes come and go. This resort needs some updating and routine maintenance, and hopefully the Canadian group of owners will give this feedback some attention so that travelers continue to spend their vacation dollars at Memories resorts. I'd return to Cayo Coco, and recommend this resort to those looking for a relaxing vacation on an incredible beach. Just don't go expecting a 5 star room. It's Cuba, this location is amazing, and the good service and friendly staff do cater to Canadians and the generosity of our travel budgets. Memories Caribe is good value for your dollar.

Room Tip: The Junior Suites are larger than the rooms, and have a good sized bathroom with outdoor "Al Fr...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
18 Thank brainygadgetgirl
ottawa
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We just returned on January 4,2014 from a one week stay at Memories Caribe. We have three young children, 9 7 and 4. This is our 8th trip to Cuba, first to Cayo Coco. We have travelled all over the Caribean mostly by cruise. I have to say that this is the most beautiful beach we have ever seen. When the tide is out you can walk to three sandbars in knee deep water. It was amazing to see the children collect starfish, hermit crabs etc.

The hotel itself was extremely clean. We stayed in room 2218 and found it very convenient in that it is close to the beach and pool. Mind you the grounds are so beautiful the walk is part of the vacation. Our room was just right for the five of us. Customer service was top notch. Thank you to Lumys for your care and help. A thank you to our favorite servers at the buffet Yanet and Yanisy (please forgive my spelling). You were always smiling and so kind.

I honestly don't understand the negative reviews. Yes the resort could use a coat of paint, and the food is what it is...but they do the best they can. And if you're noticing the lack of paint rather than the most beautiful beach then perhaps you'd be best to stay home. Or pay twice the price and go elsewhere. The rest of us that appreciated all the little nuances that only Cuba can offer will definitely be back.

As for the bugs...we only had about three bites between us. We were not affected by any sandflies. We did use the tip of placing a dryer sheet in a pocket. I did not spray with any bug spray either. Maybe we were lucky?

If you're thinking of booking, or have already booked and are worried about all the negative revues...Don't!! Just go knowing you will be at a wonderful beach with the nicest service and warm sunny weather (mother nature permitting of course).

Room Tip: We loved 2218. Beautiful view of the lagoon. No bugs in the room, very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank cubaloverOttawa
eynel v, Director of Sales at Memories Caribe Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear cubaloverOttawa,

It was a pleasure reading your review, but most of all the great experience you had at Memories Beach Resort, thank you for sharing it with us. At Memories we try very hard to make everyone feel happy and love caring, it looks we have accomplished that with you.
We thank you for coming here and for giving such a nice opinion about our resort.
Best regards,
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We just returned from a Christmas holiday in Cayo Coco. We stayed at the Memories Caribe and we loved it. It's defiantly a different experience than what we are used too. No tall hotel, no crowds. Long beautiful sidewalks and many "little hotels'. There was so much to do we didn't even do it all. There was lots to do for the kids, the nightly shows were amazing even my 6 year old loved to watch. The food was really good with lots to choose and even a little kids sections just for them. The staff was supper nice and kept everything very clean. Out 3 year old got sick with a high fever and the nurse was excellent with him. She came to check on him in the morning and was then seen by the doctor for a follow up.
Everyone there sleeps English (some better than others) and lots speak French.
We have been to Varadero and Havana and was not excited with the stay, this made me change my mind about Cuba. Loved it and would recommend it!!!
The day trip to Moron and Ciego de Avila was awesome. Got to see the real Cuban life.
Excellent beach with lots to do, boats at no cost and horse back ride for about 10pesos. Such a great holiday.

Room Tip: If you have kids try to stay in the middle of the resort this way it's not so long to the beach...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelerI3328TF
Good morning TravelerI3328TF,

Thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent experience at our resort.
We hope to see you soon over this paradise; at Memories Caribe we are trying to improve every day and keep customer happy and willing to come back. All comments are always taken into account and we are pleased to receive them all. Thanks a lot for having chosen our resort.
Best Regards,
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed for 7 nights, after 5 nights in Havana. We came on a recommendation that this was the best beach in Cayo Coco, and that was the sole reason we decided to come to Cuba - we are beach people. The sand is soft and white and there are no rocks or seaweed, and the resort does a great job of keeping the beach clean. We visited Pilar Beach during our Catamaran trip and I am way happier with our beach than Pilar and Pilar holds the official claim to the best beach. The resort isn't very big and even though we were there over christmas it never felt TOO busy. We never had to wait to get into the buffet, we always had lots of options for loungers at the beach, and the pool was never "busy". It was awesome. Unfortunately it is still winter in Cuba so I was hoping it was going to be way hotter than it was, but it only felt like it ever got to a max of 25C, and it was usually cloudy about half the day. Nights were chilly and watching the entertainment I usually needed a sweater. The buffet was actually very good, especially since we were not expecting much at all. We did bring a bottle of hot sauce however and I would definitely recommend doing so to anyone else.

The christmas dinner was extremely enjoyable - a glass of champagne, and then they had hourly seatings, where they prepared the entire buffet again, and it was glorious and SO much food. They even brought in prosciutto and brie cheese! (We always started our dinners with a cheese, bread, oil and meats plate!).

And oh my - the nightly entertainment was SO great! We had so many great laughs at some of them - they so SUCH a great job - even if some of it is inadvertently funny. We saw the tropicana in Havana and while it was a great show, this group definitely takes the cake.

The only real cons about our stay was 1. The check-in. Someone new was working that day and did the exchange rate based off the number we paid (be sure to bring a printed version of your hotel confirmation and total price with you). I should also note that we didn't come here on a Sunwing, etc tour. After some credit card trouble, the manager? now went to calculate how much we needed to pay and it was almost $200 LESS than what the first girl calculated. And we would have been none the wiser!!! SO PAY ATTENTION to how they are doing the exchange!!! How absurd is that?!?! It also really ticked us off that they told us to get towels it was 10CUC deposit but didn't ask us to make the deposit when we checked in? We did a run around when we went to get towels because the FRONT DESK takes the deposit - not the club house! UGH. So annoyed with the front desk staff that day.
And then the other cons about the hotel was the room we were in. Construction going on in the room next to us and woke us up at 8AM two mornings in a row. Sounded like they were in our room it was so loud. We also had a gecko have it's run around our room our entire stay, and a frog lived in our sink drain and came out at night and sat in our bathtub.
Sleep quality was pretty bad for me, not so bad for my spouse I think. The pillows are so flat you might as well be sleeping without any.

We don't have kids but we noticed the entertainment staff at the resort have things goings on ALL DAY for kids to keep them occupied. Hats off to them for enabling other guests to be at peace! Would recommend this to anyone with children.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ACCTD14
Hello ACCTD14,

Thank you for sharing your experience you had in our resort with us and the people that use to get into these sites. We are sorry about the inconveniences you had during your stay.
Let us know in advance when you are planning to return and advice us in order we can fulfill your needs.
Best regards,
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Memories Caribe Beach Resort? Share your experiences!