“You go here for the beach”

Memories Caribe Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Rothesay, Canada
“You go here for the beach”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a week starting april. 1st 2013 and the main reason for going to this resort was due to my wife's cousin getting married here on the beach. Overall the resort is nice, the grounds were nothing really to rave about but clean and essy to navigate about the property. The rooms were pretty basic and clean for the most part but our room, 1205, could use some refreshing as there were some patched holes that needed to be repainted. Our room had good AC during our stay as well we had hot water and good pressure up until our last morning. Every day they would straighten the room but we found no matter how clean the room was made up to best the tile floors were gritty since they do not use a broom we would use but more like a squeegee with a cloth wrapped on the bottom. Everyday we would leave a gift and a couple of pesos and would come back to our room made up with different displays on our bed and in the bathroom sometimes with fresh cut flowers. Room 1205 has a king size bed but they did not have fitted shets but instead used a couple of top sheets overlapped as the bottom fitted sheet which would shift while you slept. The pillows were very thin and we had to fold them over to get any head support otherwise we would have a sore neck in the morning. The in room safe in the closet worked well and there were enough hangers but there is no dresser with drawers but a couple of shelfs in the closet to store clothes but we tended to keep most things on our luggage. The room bathroom was spacious and while the tub is small the shower head can be hand held. Toilet paper is not replaced
Daily so you may want bring some of your own.

The food was ok at best and while I know the food can be bland in Cuba but here it seemed to leave a little to be desired. I highly recommend going to the the grills and having things cooked to order, like eggs or chicken/meats to ensure it is fresh and not sitting around for hours. The breads and the pasta station became our goto as the week wore on and as a result it became boring food. The alacartes were ok as the Intrrnational restaurant was better than the Cuban restaurant but both left us looking to hit either the buffet or the snack bar later in the evening. The snack bars would be available 24 hours offering pizza, burgers, hot dogs and fries. The alacarte by the beach is also open with a simple lunch buffet each day of pizza, burgers, fries and other prepared dishes which would save you from having to walk from the beach to the buffet to get something to eat during the day.

The pool is a good size and the few times we went we always found a seat. There is a swim up bar but we did not use it but it was packed most times of the day.

One thing that became apparent was unless you tipped the bar staff the service was not prompt nor friendly regardless of how nice or how much you would try to strike up conversation. We found the lobby piano bar wss the worst for this, would be slow to take an order or skip you for others that came to the bar after you until tipped some pesos then the service picked up. The snack bar offered the best coffees on the resort and would be a place to hit every morning if you like a good cup of coffee. The beach bar was good but again the more you tipped the better and more friendly they became but you felt you needed to keep the tips flowing otherwise they seemed to forget you again.

We flew there with Sunwing and took the Diamond package which seemed to offer more perks but for the most part there was not much difference over the standard guests. We were given an impression by the travel agent that there were special diamond club rooms but there is not so you are in a standard room. There is a dedicated area on the beach for diamond club so we had no problem getting a chair nor a spot with shade unlike the rest of the beach were we were told people would leave things on chairs very early in the morning. The diamond club beach service included beveage server but Rene was serving you more often based on your tip frequency. They also had a room up by the buffet stocked with brand name booze and a few snacks put out but one night while we were in the room one of the bar tenders from the piano bar ran in and took every bottle out of the room. The other avantage to having diamond club is the late checkout of 4pm vs 12 noon. The resort will allow you full access to the resort after checkout but having ghe late checkout was nice since the will charge you 10 pesos an hour to extend your checkout time if you have a late flight.

The resort offers a store with some grocery items like snack foods pop and the likes along with clothing and sourviners like trinkets and jewerly. The store also has bottles of booze and cigars you can buy to take home. The prices here and at the airport are almost the same if not spot on like the cigar prices are the same as well as most jewerly prices were the exact same for whst we bought.

The bus to the airport tends to have you leave 4 hours before your flight even though the drive time is approx 25 mins to and from the airport and the resort. You may want to hold onto some pesos to spend at the airport but you can convert any money you have back to Canadian at the bank on the resort but make sure you kep your 25 pesos per person you need to pay as a tax when leaving ghe country and make sure you have your tourist card stored safely as you need it when you leave at the airport.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pweb44
eynel v, General Manager at Memories Caribe Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Pweb44,

Thank you for giving us a feedback of your stay at the resort. We have taken note of all your suggestions and we'll be forwarding them all to our colleagues to be shared with the whole staff. As seen, we are running an amelioration plan all over the resort for the enjoyment of all our customers. We do hope we welcome you again in the near future so you can experience all changes that have been implemented. It would be really appreciated if you could get in touch with us prior to your arrival.

Hoping to see you soon,

Valerio Lanzarotti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (927)
  • Polish first
Nova Scotia
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I really had no big issues at all with the resort and would definitely return. Flight was on time departing and a bit delayed returning but not sunwings fault, it was due to a passenger which wouldn't be returning with us. We were in room 2114, a second floor room central to everything with a bit of a pool view. You could hear the evening entertainment outside but with the patio door shut it was not loud at all. The mattress does need to be replaced as you could feel the springs and of course pillows are flat but we knew this and packed our own. I had emailed prior to arriving with the room request. The food was great, no complaints. We didn't watch the shows as it's just not our interest. The staff were very very friendly, no one passed you by without saying Hola ! The beach was amazing ! This was my 3rd trip to Cayo Coco area and this beach is the winner hands down ! You have to be an early riser to get a beach chair in the shade and the staff that work on the beach would have spots arranged for people who I am guessing tipped / arranged this in advance. Our last night we actually put our towels on our chairs at 10pm and were surprised to still see the spots reserved the next morning when we got there, wish we had done this all week. Only went to the pool one day but it was fine too. Did the speedboat adventure ( which I had done in the past ) and we went to he Acuavida Day Spa ( which we always do ) Great trip that went by waayyyy to fast !

Room Tip: 2114 - central to everything !
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank novascotiasunandsand
Hi novascotiasunandsand,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travekers who read these pages. It makes us happy to hear your vacations were quite memorable. We do hope we'll be welcoming you quite soon on this corner of paradise our beach is. It will be really appreciated if you get in touch with us in advance again prior to your arrival. It will help us to organize everything a lot better.

Hoping to see you soon,

Guelph, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Visited this resort April 9-16. From the check-in at the airport until our departure, this was a great trip! Stayed in the 2100 building, room was spacious and kept nicely clean by staff. It was central to everything which is what I had asked for. Cannot say enough about ALL the staff at this resort! Every single one had a smile and a greeting for you! The food is fair, you will not starve. Some items were excellent, others not so much but there is always something. The bread is outstanding! The one thing I did miss was some sort of jam. Beach is amazing, beautiful sand and clear water. The pool is well kept and clean but we spent most of our time on the beach. Grounds are lush and very well kept. Even on our last day, we had late, late check out. When I approached the young man working the front desk to enquire about a 'courtesy room' he was more than helpful and instead of getting the usual gross room everyone uses, we were directed to an actual room that the maids had just cleaned. Lovely!!!
Bring mosquito repellent...the mosquitos were not a problem until the last evening because of the nice breezes. But if there is no breeze, they will get you!
This is my fourth trip to Cuba, 3rd one to Cayo Coco and Guillermo. This is by far the best visit I have had. I am sorry I did not get staff names but they ALL deserve a pat on the back! Well done! I am definitely returning next year!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 303lookingforsun
Hello 303lookingforsun,

It's very nice to know you enjoyed with us the best visit you have had to the Cayos. We hope you get in touch with us in advance before your upcoming holiday at our resort next year. We'll be sharing comments with our staff so they can be updated with our customer's opinions. We all appreciate it.

thanks you very much and see you next year down here at the Memories Caribe.

Summerside, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2013

There was 7 of us whom went and all of us had a wonderful time. Our request that I sent in an email was done for us.Thank-you for having us in the same building.
Rooms were great and the maids did a great job. We were in the 1900 building which is close to everything.
The food,service,hospitality all was terrific.
Especially love Salsa Man on the beach, his salsa is terrific.
Beach is amazing and was in it everyday. Only complaint is the reserved chairs on the beach, don't mind if you are going to use them early. That wasn't the case at all. My husband needed shade due to the medication he was on. I am an early riser and after day 1, good luck getting one. I don't agree with this if you are holding them then be there by 9 AM, if not don't do it. As other people need them.
One suggestion would be to have 2 accesses to the bread, as it can be crammed up.
The weather was awesome, loved the buggy ride to a farm and also, the glass bottom boat ride. The snorkeling was awesome.
We only ate at the buffet and it was all good! Hubby loved the sweets. If you can't find anything to eat well guess that is your problem.
Bar service was good and loved and right now miss my cappuccinos. Loved the piano bar, and the guy whom plays, remembered us from last year. He played several songs for us.
I would like to that all staff from the airport to the resort for a wonderful time.
We plan to return in 2014, keep up the great work.
Downside was the rudeness,ignorance of many from Quebec, sorry to say but you are no better than anyone else regardless what you may think of yourselves.
GM you are doing a great job, please congratulate all your staff they are wonderful.

Room Tip: Our room 1903 was great, though next time I will get a Junior suite. Had this for a room until our l...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cruisegiz
Dear Cruisegiz,
Thanks a lot for posting your comments after such a nice holiday at our hotel. I'll make sure all our staff is aware of your kind words and they'll be happy to know you're sending congrats for them. on your next trip to this memorable Caribbean spot, do not hesitate to cantact us. it will be a great pleasure.

Best wishes,
Ganeral Manager
mississauga
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Traveled Dec.13-20,2012. Sunwing champagne flight. Me, my husband and 2 of our boys 5yrs and at the time 7yrs of age.
Before boarding the bus at the airport we got our bracelets, key cards and map of the resort. Good way of avoiding line-ups.When we got to the resort whithin 5 minutes we were in our room and in about 10 min. all of my family started enjoying our first evening at Memories.
There was nothing fancy about our room but it was what we expected. Room size was good, bathroom was good size. Bath tub was kind of narrow, plastic and with low water pressure. Next time we'll take shampoo with us to the beach and on our way to our room wash off at the showers by the beach. It is fine for me not that big of a deal.
Beach was super and so was the beach service. In terms of drink selection could be better. There was orange juice, fruit punch and soft drinks. When it came to cocktales, piano bar was the best but at least we always had something to refresh ourselves with. If and when there was a shortage on drinks or food it did not take long for resort staff to fix the problem.
A la carte would not probably book again but buffet we were more than pleased with. Good food,lots of food and good selection. Nobody was hungry at least on our side.
Also went with kids to the farm but it is 1 time trip you might want to take only if with young kids. One hour horse back riding 10cuc per person wath great and would go again. Husband went snorkeling twice and doesn't mind going again.
Dec. 2013 considering going to Cuba again. Memories Caribe is 1st on our list. Maybe this time it will be 10 days vacation because 7 is a bit short. There are more things we want to do next time we go.
Thanks to Sunwing and Memories Caribe for making our memories GREATLY REMEMBERED.
For everyone going for vacation ENJOY IT!!!

Room Tip: Building 20 was good for us.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
eynel v, Director of Sales at Memories Caribe Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hello annapmississauga,

Thanks a lot for posting your opinion about your holidays in our hotel. We will congratulate the workers you mention because of their good job. At Memories Caribe Cayo Coco we are committed to enhance and improve staff attitude and quality service. Your review shows us that we are in the right track and still we have a lot to work to do. Please, do not hesitate to let us know when you are coming back and if we can be of any assistance.

Brampton, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Well I must admit that before leaving April 2-9/13 I read the reviews on a daily basis. Wasn't really sure what to expect but will say that you make it what you want. If you are the type to complain than STAY HOME.

I'm not going to bore you with repeating what other vacationers have said about the beach, getting your room info at airport etc.

I will say that I love to cook and feel that I am good at that, but the food here was absolutely AWESOME, nothing to complain about. I always found something different every day. Cannot comment on the al la carts because I didn't feel the need to go. People I met said that they were good. I would of loved to have some lobster but oh well. I didn't.

Would I go back? For sure. I enjoyed my vacation with the people I went and with the people I met.

I had a blast, wonderful location, pleasant people (except for the french). From the front desk to the bar tenders and servers, restaurant servers and chefs, grounds keepers, maids and entertainment staff I would like to say THANK YOU for the wonderful vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank crazyforlife
eynel v, Director of Sales at Memories Caribe Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear crazyforlife,

It was a pleasure reading your review, but most of all the great experience you had at our Resort.
Your review has been sent to all departments to be read during their daily or weekly meetings.
We hope to see you soon over this paradise; at Memories Caribe we are trying to improve every day and keep customer happy and willing to come back.
Let us know in advance when you are planning to return and advice us in order to fulfill your needs.

Wetaskiwin
Reviewed April 15, 2013

stayed from March 24- April 7 2013

We went with our family a group of 10 of us for the 1st week..We had a few bumps as there was no hot water that week in the 3 rooms we were staying in!
The staff was very accommodating, and tried there best to help us out! ( Jenny, Susi, Jumys, Aluiska, and Yulianela) Thanks again for being so amazing! We were Diamond Club as well. We chose not to move until the second week, when our second set of family was coming in as we liked our location. The second week was much better, we had hot water till wednseday then it was luke warm after that. But whatever we learned how to shower fast. We didn't let it bring us down.
The alacarts we not a hi-light for us as the food was always luke warm or cold, and the service was quite slow. But they do try there best its not the servers fault its the kitchens.
The Beach, WOW! The most beautiful beach I have ever been to, And Rene our server went over and beyond to make us happy! He was amazing, we never had an empty drink in our hand when he was on the beach, we sure missed him on his days off! He knew what our kids and us wanted everyday, it was great!
The Piano bar had a great bar tender he was amazing as well, we would start our mornings off their before heading to the beach a big Thank You to Yassel!
The entertainment staff is incredible always something to do during the day whether you are at the pool or beach they keep you busy if you choose. They are so great with kids of all ages, as we traveled with kids ages 6-18. Thanks for the memories Gerald, Yudith, Jami, and Oyarsa the kids still talk about all the things they did! My favorite the Olympics on the beach! Thanks Jami for all the laughs!
The food overall was great we enjoyed the buffet the best, as there was always something to choose from, even with a family of Celiac is was easy to find something to eat. Kind of disappointed that the snack bar only had poutine the first 2 days of our 2 week holiday and never had it again even though it was on the menu..
The staff of the hotel is what made our stay so awesome they were so friendly and being there 2 weeks, we really got to know a few of them quite well. Thanks again for making our holiday so memorable.
The mini disco was great our kids looked forward to it everynight they were upset the nights they could not attend.

Jenny, Susi, Yassel, Rene, Jami, Gerald, Oyarse, Jumys, Yulianela, and Yudith went way over and beyond to make our stay there so great. Thank you guys so much, hope to see you in a couple years!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank WetaskiwinWab
Dear WetaskiwinWab,

We are so glad to have received your comments on our hotel. Thank you very mucho for publishing them and let the other people read the great experience you had with us.
we will congratulate all the workers you've mentioned for the good service the brought you.
Your opinion is very important for us since it is the way we have to know what are clients are thinking about. It is nice to know that you enjoyed your vacations with us and that you liked the resort and its workers. We hope to welcome you and your family back pretty soon.