“What a great value for your dollar!!”

Memories Caribe Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Brantford
“What a great value for your dollar!!”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

If you've booked here, relax! You've made a good choice! First of all, anyone who books this resort is clearly looking for a cheap holiday. If you want all the glitz and glamour of a top notch resort, then book there! Don't complain about this place. You get what you pay for, but in this case, I actually believe we got more than what we paid for. My husband, son and I paid $1705 (taxes included!!) for a week at this resort. I went here thinking that we might be in trouble. I'm the type who pretty much always insisted I'd never go to Cuba because I had heard too many complaints about the food. If you couldn't find something to eat on this resort, then you're just a whiner. Breakfast each day offered freshly made donuts, omelets, hard boiled eggs, bacon, toast (make a toasted bacon and tomato sandwich for breakfast! yummy!) cereals, yogurt, pancakes, fresh fruit and a variety of different smoothies that they'd make you. At lunch and dinner, there was always pork chops or beef they'd grill you, a variety of fresh seafood (including crab, muscles and shrimp), the pasta bar (although I wasn't a fan, my husband, son and his little friend certainly were), rices (s), chicken, salad, veggies (one night they had grilled bacon wrapped asparagus that were to die for!), roast beef...the list goes on and on. Oh, and don't forget the bread! The bread is absolutely wonderful! Often we'd get bread that was still steaming from the oven. Very delicious! I'm not saying that all of the food was as good as some of the other resorts we've been to, but I am most definitely saying you will find something to fill your tummy at every meal. And the red wine in the buffet restaurant was good. Ask for Yanet for your waitress! She's an absolute doll! She's there each evening for dinners. You can also get grilled cheese, or grilled ham and cheese, pizza and fries at the pool restaurant from noon until about 4:00pm. The line ups move slowly though, so get a couple of drinks (try the blue daquiries at the pool bar!!! Delicious!) in your hand to get you through the wait. Cappuccino's are amazing as well!!

Check in was fast, we got a drink while waiting, and were given a ground floor room (1904). The rooms are out dated, but who cares!? They're clean, the maids do a great job and are wonderful with the towel art each day (which thrilled the kids!). There was a bottle of rum on our table after her first cleaning (which we brought home). We tipped her 2 - 3 peso's a day with a couple of gifts that we brought from the dollar store here.

The night shows always began with involving the crowd (the kids just loved that!) and although they weren't the best shows we've ever seen, they certainly tried their best. I have no complaints there. If you don't want to watch the shows, don't watch them. Go sit at the beautiful piano lounge and have some drinks instead.

There's a bank at the resort ($100 Canadian only gets you $88 peso's) and a gift store. We didn't go to our "orientation meeting" and I regret that. We would have found out a lot more about the place and what it offers had we gone. We did one day excursion called "Moron Plus" which took us to a Crocodile breeding farm, and the city of Moron, where we rode horse and buggy through the streets (it really is something to see, makes me extremely proud and blessed to be Canadian) and to a little restaurant to have a drink and banana chips with mustard (and it was good! Don't be shy, try their foods! Everyone was asking for more!) and then off to Lake Redonda for boat rides and a "typical Cuban lunch" that was delicious! They had roasted pig, Yucca (looks like a long white vegetable and tasted better than potato!) and salad and rice with beans. Everyone had a free cocktail here as well. When we got on the bus to head back to the resort, we were all given a small bottle (mickey) of rum as well. Great day overall and broke up the trip nicely.

The beach...I can't say anything more about the beach other than it was pure heaven on earth!!! You can walk out very far in the ocean and only be to your chest deep at the most. This was, without a doubt, was the most beautiful water I've even been in. Pure sandy bottom and no matter how deep you were, you could seen your feet clear as day. I spent hours in there each day.

Anyway, please ignore the whiners! If you want a $1500 per person resort, then go pay for it! If you want a bargain holiday, this is your place. If I was a negative person, I'm sure I could find somethings to whine about, but I just can't justify doing that at the price we paid. Keep an open mind, go enjoy the beautiful Cuban people, their glorious beaches, their music, their food and their beverages! Stay positive! I met a couple of whiners when I was there, and I met a ton of people who'd say "What a glorious day!", with a positive attitude. This place was well worth the money we paid. We've been to Mexico (x3) Dominican (x3) Jamaica, and Florida, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back here. This was our cheapest holiday yet and worth every penny.

Room Tip: We stayed on a ground floor suite and never had a problem with ants. I'm not saying you won'...
20 Thank rodgersfamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (946)
  • Polish first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I'm 13 and I went to Blue Bay last summer with my sister, mom, and dad, and it was all of ours first time there and we all really enjoyed it. The resort is stunning itself and so are the rooms. They did have many mosquitoes by the light outside of the front door but if you just put mosquito spray on it doesn't really matter. There were a little bit of ants as well but they were just in like 2 corners of the room and they don't really get in your stuff but we just sprayed them with mosquito spray and they died, haha. As for sleeping it was pretty good, not 5 star mattresses but it was still comfortable. Oh, and the maids cleans the rooms really well and if you leave then tips or even a lip gloss as a tip they will make you something special out of towels! The nicer the tip the nicer the origomi!

The food was okay, me and my sister usually ate at the snack bar, we got a hot dog or burger and some fries and it was really nice. In the cafeteria where they have meals (I don't know if you'd call it a cafeteria, more like buffet area) the wood was pretty good, it's all organic though so if you're a SUPER picker eater you may not like it, but I'm sure everyone can find something they like. I also recommend if you are a picky eater to bring like a peanut butter spread or nutella just so you can get some toast or bread to put it on. They also have very good service and they make things infront of you and some nights they have specials, which are really good. The drinks are good too.

I was at the beach most of the time and only twice I took a little dip in the pool. The beach was really nice and the water got really shallow which was so nice and cool where you'd think it went deep so you could go out as far as you wanted. The little boat/canoe rides that you could just paddle in around the water were also really nice. Except if you want to find a spot under an umbrella or one of those fort things, you have to get up earlier and like claim your territory, haha. And I suggest if you do leave the beach, ask someone near by to watch your stuff until you come back because some people may take a chair of yours if they don't have any. But they never would steal your things. The pool has a bar inside it which is nice but the pool is sorta small. You can't really swim like you could at the beach but it's still really enjoyable.

The shows at night are really fun to watch (just put some mosquito spray on before you go). They also have a small shows for kids around 6 or 7, I'm not quite sure, but those also sound fun. The staff there is amazing and they are so kind. If you're thinking about going, you really should, it's a fantastic time!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Nikolina Z
Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This is my 3rd time to this resort, twice when it was Blue Bay, once as Memories Caribe.
I had hoped for some improvements as it has changed ownership, and was disappointed.
The resort is still clean, food is as it was, but the only think new, was some chairs at the beach,
and around the pool.
The curtains and bedspreads are worn and dated, the resort needs some sprucing up for sure.
How can a resort change hands and there is no money put into making it more appealing?
The reason I have returned is the beach, one of the most beautiful ones I have ever seen.
I hope Memories reads my review, i would like to see some new fresh rooms!
Same old, same old , for the past few years, time for some new, exciting colors, and things
that don't look old, faded, and dirty.
Service is great, food was some what improved, beach is the best!!!
Please change the decor~!!!!!!!!
Also, don't waste your money on the "Diamond Club", the lounge has 4-5 bottles of so called "premium" liquor, a few snacks that are n o different than the buffet serves, and the "private" beach is just the right hand side of the beach, same water, same chairs, just a waiter who will go and get your drink, for a tip, not worth the money.
All the wildlife that was there when it was Blue Bay, turtles, ducks etc have been removed, except for 3 pink flamingos.
When I asked where they went, I was told, they were moved to another resort.
Go for the beach!

Room Tip: Best to choose Junior Suite, worth the few extra bucks, Diamond Club, not worth the money.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2012

We just got back from our week-long vacation at Memories Caribe. First of all, those who have complained in the previous reviews, just ignore them and be prepared for a lovely vacation at this resort. We are a family of four, two adults and two kids aged 8 and 9 and had an amazing time. Great service, clean rooms, good food and drinks, and great entertainment.The beach is breaktakingly beautiful and the pool is clean and spacious with plenty of loungers.

Info and tips
1. Be sure to bring a travel mug for your drinks. Many people regret not bringing one. Bubba cup is the best. They will fill it up to the brim. It is environmently friendly and beats the small plastic cups they provide you with and getting up a thousand times to get a new drink.
2. Book a balcony room, preferable lakeview. The view of the bay is beautiful, especially sunrise. We did not have even a single ant in our room. Ask for block 2200, 2300. Steps away fromn the beach and pool, as well as the eating area (buffet, snack bar, restaurants, lobby)
3. Bring bug spray
4. Bring a flashlight. You will need it until you get familiar with your block. Lighting is poor at night.
5. Pizzas are available at the snack bar after noon until about 4 pm (they run out quickly). We never ate at the buffet for lunch
6. Bring gifts for the entertainment staff. They typically don't get tips and don't get paid well. We gave clothes, toiletries, shoes. We even gave an Mp3 player and Sony digital camera to a couple of them who totally impressed us. They love runners, cologne, backpacks, baseball caps. Be generous.
7. We tipped our maid 1 peso everyday and she did an amazing job with our room and towel art. Fridge was restocked everyday with water, beer, and pop. If you don't use it, you don't get more.
8. Bring lots of hair conditioner. The water makes your hair brittle. I had to buy extra at the on-site store.
9. Bring extra sun block. We ran out and I had to pay 15 pesos at the store
10. Buy alcohol, cigars, and cigarettes at the duty-free at the airport. Way, way cheaper than at the resort.
11. Upgrade to VIP at the Cayo Coco airport with your Sunwing rep. For 20 pesos per adult, you get a priority check-in, boarding, a special lounge, unlimited free drinks, food and snacks, and sofa seating with tv, movies. Superior air-conditioning. Totally worth it.
12. If you attend the briefing with your tour operator the next day, you get a free bottle of white rum in your room. Don't miss it.
13. Try and book your excursion when booking your trip in Canada. You will save as you will be charges in Cdn dollars. Excursions are in pesos when you book at the resort and the exchange rate is horrible. At the resort, it was 88 pesos per 100 Cdn dollars. Same rate at the Cadeca and reception. Airport is just about the same. I heard Tryp Cayo Coco resort gives the best exchange rate, so if you have the time, head down there to exchange your money.
14. Book your a la cartes the next day of your arrival. Booking is only from 10-12 am everyday. We tried international and seafood and both were great. Portions were small, but very yummy.
15. Don't get any beauty treatments done at the on-site spa. Waste of money. The massage is excellent though. The guy is very friendly and good at what he does. The lady at the salon is cranky and doesn't seem like she likes her job. She did a good job at hair-braiding though. But other treatment, don't bother. If you want to get pampered, go to the Acuvida spa at Sol Cayo resort
16. They are very strict with their beach towels. If you lose it, you will have to pay 20 pesos. Next time, I'll bring my own, so I don't have to worry if it gets lost
17. Check out for Sunwing customers is at 2 pm. Our flight was at 10.25 pm (pick up at 6.45 pm from the resort), so we extended our checkout until 5 pm for 10 pesos per hour. You will have to see if their is availabililty though the day of departure. Gave us enough time to enjoy the day, and then pack and shower instead of lounging around the resort with your hand baggage after 2 pm.
18. Ask for blue daquiri at the piano bar. They are amazing.

Things to do:
1. Horse back riding-10 pesos per adult. Totally worth it
2. Horse buggy ride-5 pesos per person for an hour. He takes you to this little ranch. Nice experience
3. Swimming with the dolphins-Unique experience but very expensive
4. Playa Pillar-Breaktaking beach about an hour away from the resort. You can take the local double-decker bus for 5 pesos roundtrip. Timings are available at the reception. They charge 2 pesos per lounger so be prepared. Otherwise for 24 pesos per adult, take the Pillar break tour. You will have an air-conditioned bus, nice lunch with one drink, plus a lounger. Bus picks you up at 8.45 am and departs at 3 pm. Bring toilet paper as there is never any.
5. There are trips to Moron, Jeep Safari, Speed boat, Catamaran trips as well. Heard the speed boat one is amazing.

A big shout out to the animation team and entertainers, Yandri, Yamilka, Anna, Luis, and Victor. You guys are amazing. There is always something fun to do poolside. Nightly entertainment is great. We would look forward to it every night.

Do not hesitate to book at this resort!

21 Thank romsark
barrie
Reviewed April 19, 2012

jst came back from memories in cayo coco, and had a great time, we are in our early 50s and have traveled in cuba, domiican, antigua, curasa, among others. after reading the comments on tripadvisor before we left we didnt know what to expect. we stayed 2 weeks and no complaints, drinks very good, room was good and no bedbugs or ants or any creepy crawlies. always found something good to eat and the pasta was awesome. the resort was clean and booze good, orange daquaris at lobby bar were the bomb. the staff always ready to help you, the beach simply amazing, people staying at the 5 star down the beach came to use our beach,food and drinks as they liked memories better than their resort. we would go back and remember it is what you make of it, dont sweat the small stuff, you are on vacation so enjoy and if you want 5star than go to a 5star and dont run down this resort.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank vicki p
Montreal, QC Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I had an excellent stay at the BlueBay (now Memories and managed in part by Sunwing) with my two daughters. We stayed from April 7 to 14 2012. It was very sunny and hot during our stay with a little breeze to episodes of gusts of winds (short but intense). Got to admit that the place is very nice for families with kids and there are lots present. No wifi; hey, this is Cuba!

Arrangements to have two beds in the room prior to arrival were met with even a third bed (real bed, not a cot or folding bed) delivered to the room without even asking for it. Room was spacious (less with three beds in it) and a balcony. Everything was clean and tidy. However, the toilet was dripping and hard to flush (for the girls) and the shower head was broken (functional but cracked and therefore spraying everywhere). We had a nice balcony with shade and sunny areas. Rooms on the west side of the lagoon are more quiet since they are the farthest from the theater scene where the evening shows occur. A/C was functional and kept room dry and cool. There is a TV with more than 20 channels. Safety deposit box, coffee maker, bar fridge, lots of storage and hanging space in double closet.

White very fine sand at the beach, lots of shade, lots of long chairs and bar and grill (open for most lunches) also present. Water was hot and the gradient is very gradual (can walk at least 100m before hitting 5 feet deep). Rooms of the west side of the lagoon have to go around the Arenas Blancas Restaurant to get to the beach though.

Pool actually divided into two pools, large shallow area (approx. 3 feet) for young kids, and bar accessible by the pool (may wait a little bit for service; bar tenders they might not notice right away you're there).

Buffet restaurant was very good service wise and in terms of food variety, quantlty and quality : did not find something that we didn't really like. Mind that were in Cuba and the beef is generally to be avoided since it is tough, but pork, chicken, fish and seafood are all nice. Would of like more "local" meals. All meals were good and there was "poutine" offered one supper and nachos another. There is the central buffet (hot, cold, salad and coldcuts & cheeses), a counter for pasta (great with kids and they serve fresh donuts in the morning) and two grill stations. There is also a counter with breads and bakeries (always fresh and good tasting) and another for desserts and fruits (which sometimes had a "smootie guy" for breakfast).

There are three "a la carte" restaurants (International, Italian and Seafood) but can only choose to visit two during your week. Chose the two firsts and they were very good and heard people saying that the third is good as well. White wine is fine, but the red wine is "imbuvable". Coffee is either "suave" (regular) but most restaurants serve also "café" type coffees like lattes, expressos, capucinos, etc. However, some of the machines required for those specialty coffees were down sporadically at the restaurants and bars (bars have them too!). There is also a snack bar located in the building next to the pool; they serve sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs and pizza. All were fine with the girls.

We did not take any trips or activities proposed but heard from people that took them that they were great. The information meeting with Sunwing rep was a waste of time unless you want information about those trips. It was an hour long in the Discotheque while the air conditioning was off... Gruelsome!

Mind that this resort, like all the others in Cayo Coco, is away from "civilization"; you're 1 to 1½ away by car from the nearest city which is Moron. "Gua-gua" (their public transit system; small buses dating from the 50's) is awfully slow and taxi rides can be very pricey if you do not speak spanish and/or negociate ahead with the driver. The resort also rents mopeds, but I've heard it's not a good idea...

To sum it up, we really enjoyed our stay. It is a very good "what you get for the money" place (paid $2,700 for the three of us, all included: taxes, etc.) and kids get rebates. Would go back and currently recommending to friends. As always, tips help get better service, but 1 peso convertible goes a long way.

Room Tip: We had a second storey room: better than ground floor rooms since nobody is walking on your head and...
2 Thank Eric P
Innisfil, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Memories Caribe has become a second home to my family. This was our 3rd trip back. We travelled March 2011, September 2011 and March 17-24 2012. I read some of the reviews on here and wonderful what resort they are about, we have never had a problem. We did not upgrade to diamond club as we wanted to see what it is before paying the extra fee. From what we saw there is an area to the right of the boardwalk at the beach with both sun and shade areas for Diamond club that gets butler service and I believe they get one extra dining reservation. So 3 in total. For spa services there is a 10% discount. Diamond club also receives a separate check in, this is also in the lobby just at the customer service desk.
From the moment we checked in the bags are unloaded promptly from the bus, they had the lobby bar bartender serving welcome drinks we called them life savers as they were yellow, orange and green. We sat back and waited for everyone to check in there was some people very annoyed that there was a line up to check in. But it is kind of expected when a bus load of people all go to check in that you would have to wait a few minutes. We received our room and bracelets and went on our way within 15 minutes of arriving at the resort. Our bags arrived to our room with 30 minutes. We usually stay in one of the multi room building specifically 15 block but we were upgraded to a tower block 27. We loved it we had a wonderful view of the Laguna and lobby and Italian restaurant. Our room was very clean, everything was great.
The staff at the buffet was wonderful they offered drinks within minutes of you sitting down and cleared plates away very quickly without you feeling like they were hovering. I always hear people saying the food in Cuba is horrible. Well I happen to love the food. There are something’s that are not for me but I can guarantee I never went hungry. I am not a seafood person, if you are there is many options from calamari to fresh fish and occasionally lobster.
For breakfast they have freshly made crepes, they cook eggs anyway you want, 8 different kinds of cereal, bacon, sausage(hot dogs), more eggs already prepared, fried potatoes, croquettes, fruit and a yogurt smoothie station where it is prepared for you personally. Lunch and dinner there is pasta with 3 pasta choices , your choice of 3 sauces, white, red and meat sauce and you pick what things you would like added, pizza, beef, pork and chicken, fish all cooked to your specifications. They have ready prepared meat dishes with chicken and beef and pork. There is rice, potatoes, fruit and delicious pastries and cakes at least 8 different desserts a night and 3 different flavours of ice cream. On occasion there were some line ups. As with any restaurant there is busy times and slow times. It was never more than 10 minutes.
The al a carte restaurants were wonderful as well. We did not visit the International restaurant this time but previously the menu at the International restaurant is a mix of everything. We have had beef, pork and fish with potatoes and a delicious Ajiaco soup. The servings are very large you won't leave hungry. The Italian restaurant is our favourite. Very wonderful staff. Brenna our server made us feel right at home and suggested items and made sure that we had everything to our liking. She is very good at her job. We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. There are 10-12 tables so it is a more personal experience. The Italian restaurant is a 4 course dinner. You have 3-4 choices each course. They are huge servings.

The pool area was very clean they have just upgraded the pool chairs. The area was always kept clean. The pool area staff cleaned up all cups and any garbage left from guests immediately and made sure the unused chairs were set up for others to use. They are very efficient at their job and unless you are paying attention you will not even notice them. The entertainment staff Luis and Gerard were not too pushy and encouraged everyone willing to get involved in some games. They have volleyball, crazy games and water polo. There is kids game time with dancing and crazy games. If you wanted to relax and watch the world go by you were never pressured to join in and the pool area is large enough that you can be away from the games and still enjoy the main area.
The beach is gorgeous. They now offer massage on the beach. It is $20 cp for 35 mins of back and shoulder massage they offer full body massage at the spa. They have paddle boats, hobie cats on one end of the beach and horseback riding at the very far end. There is a volley ball court between the far beach seating area and where the horseback riding begins. From noon till 2 they have entertainment at the beach. There is dancing lessons, Spanish lessons, and water aerobics.
The beach bar is very nice and the staff is very friendly. They have added a few more bartenders at the beach bar to accommodate for the diamond club members and the butler service that goes only with this. There is never more than a 5 minute wait at the beach bar. They have a snack bar available at the beach as well.
The piano bar is a great place to relax. Sandros is our favourite bartender. He makes the best Pina Colada’s! In the evening they have a piano player from about 8pm till 9:30-10ish. There is plenty of seating both inside and out.
The nightly entertainment by the dancers is our favourite part. The show starts with a kids club dance at 7:30pm and the main show starts at 9pm with a game of guess the song or bingo. 9:30pm the dancers performance begins. There are 11 dancers to the team and each one is amazingly skilled. They have a 7 day rotation of performances so unless you stay longer all performances are different. The shows include disco, dances of the world, famous songs, nights where guests get involved, Dj night and the romantic show.
Throughout our three trips to Memories Caribe we have become friends with our favourite dancer, Humberto, he is an amazing dancer and amazing person. From fast songs to ballet he is very graceful and always full of life and has a huge smile on his face. He makes you feel like he is dancing for you only as he makes sure to look at the audience. You can tell he loves his job it beams from him. On our first full day at the resort we went to the stage area while the dancers practiced to look for our friend Humberto and when he saw we had returned he came right over and welcomed us back. Many other dancers remembered us as well. They are all so very nice and friendly. We love to sit and watch them practice in the day time. They are all very dedicated and have amazing talent. The dancer’s names are Roberto, Victor Humberto, Emilio and Alexander for the men and Ada, Yuyi, Danay, Betsey, Yahira and Maulyn and Mari.
You can see them practicing every day at 3pm on the stage. It is wonderful to get to know them as they are such hard workers who are all beautiful people.

This trip we rented a car through George who was wonderful. He explained what is included in the rental cost and what isn’t. We enjoyed our day in Moron and Ciego de Avila spending the day with our friend’s family and seeing what real Cuba is like. We visited a wonderful restaurant by the town centre in Moron. There we enjoyed a delicious meal of pork, chicken and steak served with beans and rice and salad. The serving was very large and no one was able to finish their plates. We went to a beautiful park that I believe was called La Turbina. They have a boat ride that takes you around the small lake. You can go to the floating restaurant or just enjoy the scenery. They offer paddle boats. During the weekend they have a small amusement park. There is a little bar/restaurant with electric cars for the kids and a playground. Our youngest loved the electric cars. Our friend and her drove for almost thirty minutes and it only cost $4 pesos. On the weekends we are told that the park and waterfront is filled with people, they all enjoy this wonderful place. On the other side of the lake there are old trains from the early 1900’s.
We visited an alligator reserve where we were able to hold some small alligators and learned a little about them. On the way back to town our friend stopped on the side of the road and got us some sugar cane from the farmers who were harvesting the crops. It was very sweet and tasty. Back in town we bought some guarapo which is sugar cane juice. It is super sweet and is a very popular drink with the locals.
We had taken the trip to Moron with the hotel in early 2011 and I will say that our visit with our friends seemed like we were in a different country. We visited the same area but it was night and day. We did not have any problems the first time but our naivety made us uncomfortable being by ourselves. The local people are so friendly and welcoming. It was so nice to sit and talk with some of them and learn about their lives and country as well as share about our lives and country.
I will suggest to anyone that they do not drive themselves in town it is very different than any areas we have in Canada. There is much more bicycle traffic on the street and many more people. I could see thousands of times that my husband or I would have had an accident but our friend maneuvered through town with ease as this is second nature to him. We are very thankful that he did drive and provided us with this experience.

We are already planning our return trip in September and can’t wait to get back to this wonderful resort.
I hope everyone who travels to Memories Caribe enjoys their trip and please say hello to Humberto at the night entertainment and Brenna in the Italian restaurant and tell them their Princess misses them and will see them soon.

Room Tip: We like the area by blocks 16-18 and towers 25-27 between the pool and Italian restaurant. Never hea...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Memories Caribe Beach Resort? Share your experiences!