“A Piece of Heaven on Earth”
Review of Soggy Dollar Bar

Soggy Dollar Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Reviewed February 23, 2014

If at any time you were to ask me where if I could choose anywhere would I want to be it would be this place. My first experience well over 20 years ago when the Windjammer fleet would make a regular stop of it. Then years later on a charted honeymoon aboard S.V. Girl Friday. I taught my wife the instructions for The Soggy dollar......Swim in. Drink. Swim back. Repeat.

I remember the days of hanging our dollars up to dry on clothespins above the bar to dry, learning magic tricks and card tricks that would blow your mind. I met people from every corner of the Earth and it was also my father's favorite place (go figure), may he rest in peace.

I haven't even mentioned the Pain Killers!!!! I have a bottle of Pusser's rum at hand always with all of the other ingredients however never to have achieved perfect proportions. It's a secret I know. I have not been back in recent years however a good friend of mine Scotty Rosencrans would visit friends on USVI St Thomas annually and always visit The Soggy Dollar bar and bring me a T-shirt however...........I wanted to tell the world the following.

For those fortunate enough to have personally known our late friend Scotty Rosencrans this story is for you.

Each morning when I open the restaurant the first person I always see is Scotty. His photos and written words of memorial from friends are placed carefully at the entrance of Rossi's for everyone to see, to remember, and to reflect on our young friend passed.

Scotty was killed by a drunk driver, but this was not the end of his presence here with us. Scotty truly lives around us in ways you may not think of right away, not only in memory and spirit, but flesh. I will explain.

A woman visited Rossi's recently and spent some time getting to know Scotty. She spent time reading his memorials and staring at his photos. She asked for a moment of time to speak with our owner in regard to this young man she had just recently met. It turns out she knew the best part of Scotty all along, his heart, yet she never knew him. How is this possible?

When Scotty died he gave is body and organs so that others could continue to live, and see, and feel, and to love. This woman who knew Scotty met him when he died and gave his heart to her husband who needed a transplant. She wanted to know about the man brave enough to do this.

She described the joy she herself witnessed as Scotty's gifts to others were received at MUSC. The gift of sight. The gift of love. The gift of life. No matter what the part of human life he gave, he gave it. I'd bet he's laughing about it right now.

Scotty's voice and contagious laughter have gone from this earth but he is still here, all around us. You just never know when you may see him again.

We miss you Scott, rest in peace. We'll see you around, hopefully at The Soggy Dollar!

Love, All of us still here

Write a ReviewReviews (1,494)

Reviewed February 20, 2014

This place is world famous and it could sit back and rest on its laurels, but it doesn't. Nearly every day trip boating excursion includes a stop here and nearly everyone that returns from the VI's talk about their time at the Soggy Dollar and White Bay. The place can get very crowded and you could spend a small fortune if bought your drinks here all day long, but that is not the point. Go to visit with the main bartender Mic, whose laugh you can here from 500 yards away, play a ring toss and enjoy one of the nicest beaches around. If you can go early or late it is even better - day boaters dominate the scene from about 1-4pm.

1  Thank Ragtop67
Reviewed February 18, 2014

A place you must visit, the drinks are good (a little small, but priced accordingly at $6)...but the beach, water and friendly people are the best!

Enjoy!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stopped here on a trip to Jost Van Dyke. The beach was jam packed full of cruise passengers and other tourists brought in for the day. Otherwise, good bar- home of the PainKiller. The drink is good, but the bar hygiene left a lot to be desired. Thankfully alcohol kills most germs.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Every tour book and every pamphlet says "ya gotta go here". It is a very busy beach bar with its own moulded plastic drink glasses (non-degradeable and thrown in a heap when done). It is full of people who were told they gotta go there. Our impression was that it was frankly nothing special, except to provide a place for people to take selfies of their visit to where they gotta go with a fat drink in their hands. When I asked if we could make reservations for dinner, a very rushed staff or owner said, "not if you've got kids. No underagers!" No apology, no explanation, no suggestions of another place. (Just get outa my face so I can slop a bunch more plastic mind-bending drinks to people with embarrassing T-shirts). Save your money and your peace of mind and go a little further down the beach to any of the other more sincere and interesting bars and eateries - places you don't "gotta go" to but actually. Over Rated on its own success.

1  Thank squash