“Better than I expected”

Soggy Dollar Bar
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I am not an overly hard reviewer, and give many more great reviews than mediocre or poor. That being said, I really thought before going that I would be disappointed with the Soggy Dollar Bar, just because you hear a lot about it, and it doesn't look all that nice. I can say that you're not going to mistake it for your upscale downtown bar, but the atmosphere was at least charming. What surprised both my wife and I however, was the quality of the pain killer they served. I didn't really think they would be any different than any other place on the island, however after watching them make the drinks, complete with grinding fresh nutmeg in them, I can say there is a difference, and this was one of the top drinks I had while on the island even though I don't particularly care for any of the ingredients they put in them.

The setting for the bar is great, with a great swimming area and beach in front of it you can enjoy before, during, or after enjoying your drink.

I expected it to be a tourist trap that lived by reputation alone, and I was wrong. My wife and I were both glad we visited the soggy dollar and will be back again some day.

1  Thank joshua b
Write a ReviewReviews (1,450)

Reviewed August 25, 2011

Busy, busy, fun place. Lives up to it's reputation. True, it's swim ashore, but hey they have plumbing, so it's worth it, right? Drinks are good, everyone's having fun. FYI drug dealers work the fringes.

Reviewed August 23, 2011

The Soggy Dollar Bar is worth ever soggy dollar you take with you. We were able to Dingy in so we didn’t actually have any soggy dollars to donate for our drinks. But like others here have said, the place is a must stop for all the bare-boaters out there. A trip to the BVI’s isn’t complete without a stop here. On our quest to find THE best Pain-Killers on the islands ended here. Few places still used fresh nutmeg ground onto the top of your drink. This is the true essence of a Pain-Killer. For those of you who have not experienced one yet, this is the best you can get. Besides the cold drinks, the people there do really enjoy their jobs and talking to you. We had a wonder evening there and I believe you will too. So grab a hand full of Dollars and don’t worry about getting them wet. They are proud to serve you wet and dripping.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

Loved this place, more of a bar, totally worth the swim. Great atmosphere. Best Roti's in the BVI/USVI, enjoyed it so much we came back a second time. Just remember you have to swim back to the boat.

Reviewed August 17, 2011

I wrote a review last year...I was very disappointed. Went again this year and it was so much better. Uncrouded, fast service, and beautiful.

I think the real trick here is knowing what you are after. The later in the day you get here or the closer to the weekend you go, the more crouded and frat party like it will be. A noon mid-week lunch was perfect for a group of 40-something married people. Still a party, but not too wild or crouded.

Everyone in our group had a fabulous time!