“Place in paradise”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jost Van Dyke
White Bay Campground
“Place in paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

Ivan's is the perfect place in paradise. A spot for anyone that love the peacefulness of life. The staff, rooms, food etc. Is excellent.
I've read some negative comments , but when I got there I found a totally different atmosphere. With all the distractions in life, Ivan's is totally the place to stay on Jost.

• Stayed March 2011
5 Thank Tikihut79

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

Someone commented about Ivan's having the worst service. Well, Ivan's is best enjoyed if you drop the 'serve me' notion at the ferry dock. There are other accommodations that have the service angle covered on Jost. Ivan's is more 'communal' in it's approach to getting your personal needs met. Serve Thyself is the motto here, and while you're at it try serving someone else while you're there, especially Ivan. I'm sure he will be grateful. What a lovely place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
8 Thank MissBrown
sacramento
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

This past weekend we were lucky enough to be on Jost. Met some friends, missed the last ferry back to Tortola, was told, "no problem, mon, Ivans still has rooms". Made the trek to Ivans,( our friends had made reservations over 2 months previously). No one was there, they called the number and after a short wait, Ivan's daughters came over from the beach party they were at. Ivan was out of town. The daughters were very irritated at having to come to us, our friends told them they had reservations, they said they knew nothing about it. We asked if we could get a room also. Their Visa machine was down, they said if we didn't have enough cash, they wouldn't help us. Tried to explain that they already had our friends visa info but they got more and more irritated and rude. The next thing we know they disappear. Hearing a boat leave, they had locked all of the rooms and LEFT US STRANDED!!!!! Since it is low season, all other hotels are closed. We had NO SHELTER, NO FOOD, NO WATER and were stranded. Had to spend the night on their beach with nothing. HORRIBLE! Would warn everyone about this atrocious place !

4 Thank luvmybullys
Northern Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2010

Last June we traveled to St. John with friends and extended family (our 10th trip down in 12 years). Had a great villa but knew that we'd want to take a side trip to Jost. Having done the ferry experience before from STJ and only getting about 5 1/2 hours on island, I decided that we would extend our stay at Ivans camprground and do an overnight, returning to STJ the next afternoon.

Because Ivans is so inexpensive I had no problem shelling out $$ for the villa bedroom that would go unused one night.

We had very few expectations and had seen Ivans on a previous visit so we knew generally what to expect and decided to stay in a cabin for $55.

The cabins are brightly painted, and ours had an overhead light, mini fridge, fan, built in shelving, a mirror and a king size platform bed.

It also sported a fabulous little front porch with a clothesline and a few chairs. The cabin was situated 10 feet from the beach.

The accomodations were perfectly comfortable and adequate. We didn't use the kitchen and ate out at the other restaurants on island while we were there.

I am a long time visitor to the US and BVI's so I slip easily into island time when there. My usual high maintenance standards I live by at home seem to melt away when I set foot in the VI's. This mindset is essential if you want to enjoy yourself at Ivans.

We rented a car, which made life a bit easier, especially going into town for meals. We're lazy like that. I suppose you COULD walk. But it was hot and I was happy to drive. Like I said, I'm lazy like that.

There are VERY limited grocery options on Jost, but a little on loine research will reveal that Bobby's on Tortola will happily deliver groceries to the ferry dock for no extra charge and they are extremely reasonable price wise.

Showers were OK and in line with many bathrooms in the VI. Bring shower shoes.

Bathrooms were OK. Again like many in the VI.

People were great. We hit Foxy's BBQ for dinner. $28 -- all you can eat in one pass. Excellent food. We have eaten at Foxy's many times for lunch (on day trips) so a dinner there was a new experience. We loved it.

Christines bakery in town is great for breakfast breads and bakery treats.

Ali Babba's was great for breakfast. Apparentyl Ivan meets his buddies for coffee there in the mornings. It was good to listen to the banter over a Carib and eggs.

Ivan's beach is lovely and quiet. Plenty of shade and seagrape to tuck into if you want to get out of the sun. Decent beach chairs. Some patched up with bits oven woven material.

Overall we found it to be refreshingly simple and a back to basics approach. I think it is an excellent value for the money as long as you are in the right frame of mind before you go.

Jost is home to only a few hundred people. we have found everyone to be kind and helpful if they sense the same from you. West Indian manners are a must. Greeting with a "Good morning/afternoon/night" before asking a question is preferrred and will earn you points and immediate assistance. Thisis true throughout the US and BVI's.

We liked it so much for one night that we're headed back this December and will stay in the same cabin again for a week.

Because of our previous overnight experience and the fact that we are staying longer this time, I plan to bring a few items along to make life more comfortable in the spartan surroundings:

netbook
extension cord for iPhone and other digital paraphenalia (i like to be off the grid but I can't go cold turkey!)
my own padlock
febreeze and some bounce dryer sheets (keeps things fresh)
extra clothespins and my own rope so I can hang things out to dry.
bungee cord (hey-- you never know what you need a bungee for!)
our own sheets (bought at a goodwill store for sheap that we don't mind leaving behind)
Candles (citronella and scented)
Our own towels (bath and beach) and washcloths

With a little extra planning I'm expecting that we will spend a perfectly comfortable and extremely inexpensive Jost vacation.

To be sure, Ivans is not for everyone (as has been mentioned several times) but if you are looking for an inexpensive get-away-from-it-all experience then I suggest you give Ivans a try.

I'll happily post another review in December.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank GromitVA
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2010

Well, I must say that many of the reviews about Ivan's, good and bad, are accurate about one aspect-- This may not be a place for everyone. We simply camped on the beach, which was breathtaking. Our 'site' was just past the tree line on the beach, plenty of shade. One must understand that when you are here, you are on 'island time'. So, if you arrive and there isn't someone around, you may have to wait awhile. However, that said, one can be quite self-sufficient here. The communal kitchen area is great. I woke up early, took a quick dip in the crystal clear warm water and made my way towards the kitchen where I found a gentleman brewing coffee. We shared stories of travels and adventures over coffee. The employees were very warm and inviting! Also, they offer Wi-Fi, microwave, two refrigerators, an oven/stove and don't forget the 'honor bar'

Bottom line, there is nothing wrong with tile floors, spotless bathrooms and being waited on hand and foot. However, if this is your idea of a Caribbean vacation, Ivan's might not be for you. But, if you are like me, and cherish the people you meet, the place you are and the experience that you get out of it, GO TO IVAN'S!! We stayed at a Villa on Tortola for most of our trip, but will definitely stay at Ivan's on our next trip!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

When I read the reviews of this place I was expecting Thailand style huts on the beach with basic amenities i.e. not a lot. There's no doubt this is a slice of paradise, but the attitude of the locals is disgusting. Most of the time there was no one around and the campers attended to themselves, which is fine if you're into camping, but if you're paying $80/night for a wooden shack you'd at least expect hot water and a modicum of decency.

When I checked in there was no one there, so I was waiting around for an hour before someone showed up. And I didn't see anyone from the place until I was leaving. The woman who checkout me in/out was rude and seemed to have no real interest in whether the guests were happy or not. I think the attitude is, 'you're on a beautiful beach in paradise so lucky you, get on with it and don't come complainin to me.' The Islanders reminded me of spoiled children charging $45 for 2km cab rides.

If I go back I'll spend an extra $40/night for hot showers, mosquito nets that work, and less attitude from the locals.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Jonny_Jetset
kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

This was our first time to spend the night on Jost Van Dyke. Previously, this had only been a daytrip and we loved the island so much, we wanted to spend a weekend instead of just a few hours. We chose Ivan's because of the great setting and for the price. I had read all the reviews, so I was prepared for our accommodations. We had a cabin near the back but still close enough to the water to hear the surf at night. The cabins are basic, bed, small refrigerator, fan and a couple of chairs. There is no plumbing in the cabins and the showers and bathrooms are shared by the other cabins and campers, however, I was surprised at how it all works out and didn't have to stand in line too long to wait for the showers. There is a kitchen that is shared by whoever wants to cook with all the basics that you would need. SInce we were only there for a couple of nights, we did not do any cooking.

The setting is absolutely stunning and you will not find any nicer people than Ivan and his family that run the campground. It is truly a simplistic, laid back atmosphere where everyone can just kick back and relax...hence, the "Stress-Free" motto!

If you are looking for an inexpensive, no frills place to stay, Ivan's is it! I think once you are here, you will realize that less is more and it is all about the experience that makes this a place that you will want to return to, time and time again!

From Ivan's you can walk to the Soggy Dollar and One Love bar, you do have to walk across some rocks for part of the way but it isn't too bad, a little tricky at night. If you are feeling energetic, you can also walk to Great Harbor where there are several restaurants and bars like Foxy's and Corsairs. A taxi from Ivan's to the ferry dock is $5 per person one way.

We had a fantastic time at Ivan's--the weekend we were there, he was celebrating his 19th year since opening the campground so there was music, bbq's, etc. I cannot say enough about the graciousness of Ivan and the others who made our trip so memorable, Charlene, Darlene, and Atena! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
#7 of 25 in Tortola
Concordia Eco-Resort
Concordia Eco-Resort
#1 of 3 in Virgin Islands National Park

Been to White Bay Campground? Share your experiences!