“Really mixed review here. I do not recommend them”

Jost Van Dyke Scuba
More attraction details
Owner description: Jost Van Dyke Scuba was formed with the mission to provide our diving guests with the most memorable vacation experiences under the water! BVI Eco-tours is our sister company which was created to host short and long term travelers who want to experience all the natural resources the British Virgin Islands have to offer! Our companies have an endless range of guided and self-guided activities, as you will see by looking through our web site. Our professional guides will take you to extraordinary areas and show you highlights that are unique to the BVI, whether Scuba diving or on an Eco-tour. Whether your pleasure is to discover the sea’s underwater beauty.
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We did a half day of diving with these folks.There were many problems, but the worst of them were safety. This is the first time I have ever reviewed anything on Trip Advisor, but was compelled to do so after our experience. We were on a dive with another family, where one member was a novice and fearful and sucked alot of air quickly. The family told the dive master several times that this person was very very low on air after being under for about 30 minutes. They hardly responded to them. This was after being warned that you could not dive again on the island if you came to the surface with less then 500psi. In general the divemaster moved very quickly...did not stop for viewing and was very inattentive .Finally the divemaster woke up to the situation and had us all come to the surface. That was the smart choice, though smarter may have been to turn us around back to the boat much sooner. Then we had to swim on the surface, quite a ways to the boat. Some of the group had a hard time swimming to the boat with large swells. The dive master went way ahead to the boat while waving us to hurry. He never offered to bring the boat to us. Then someone in the party, was getting on the boat and the ladder came off of boat and went down into the water. The dive master , David then said to that person,"Hope I find that ladder, or you will have to pay for it" Later he said he was kidding, after he dove down to find it, never mentioning that the ladder needed to be repaired. So, there were serious safety issues, and in general they were not so service oriented. I know in the BVI that is not their strong point....but still...... The only good thing I can say, is that one of the members of the group did a resort course with David and he was a good teacher. so, yes a very mixed review on the worst dive shop I have ever experienced in my many years of diving!

1  Thank Louruska
"willy t"
in 4 reviews
"took great care"

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I relied on Trip Advisor to book a one day, private excursion with JVD Scuba. We had planned to go to both Virgin Gorda and Norman Island, but due to rough seas our trip was limited to just Norman Island. Our captain (Martin) and his crew (Holly & ???) were simply fantastic. He navigated the rough seas with the utmost care and took us to fantastic snorkel spots around Norman. We had a great lunch on Norman as well. Well worth the price!

Lysak, General Manager at Jost Van Dyke Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Glad you had a good time Jeff, Martin is a top notch Captain and certainly knows how to navigate the rough seas! Call us again if you are in the neighborhood, love to get you to the Baths. :)

Reviewed December 27, 2013

When I grow up and own a dive shop, I want it to be just like this.
I just spent three days diving with these guys and it was perfect. Rob was on top of every detail. The first day there were five other divers and a good dive master (Paul) and I thought, "What a great day." The next two days it only got better. By a strange twist, I was the only customer booked and enjoyed fantastic company diving with Martin and the interns. When it started, I felt like I was diving with friends. By the time it ended, I was. Excellent safety. Flexible dive locations. Great people. I will be back.
Craig

Hey Craig, so glad you had a great time, making new friends is what this business is all about! Give me a call when you want to book another few dives...that is if you do not already build your new Dive Shop! ;)
Happy New Years Craig and hope to see you again.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

We stopped in at the dive shop on Jost on the second day of our trip to rent some snorkel gear just to take over to White Bay for the day. We met Rob, who told us about a few of the upcoming trips that week so we decided to forgo the self guided snorkeling at the beach for one of the guided snorkeling trips to Norman Island instead (and might I add, VERY AFFORDABLE for an entire day covering 5 different sights and a stop for lunch at Pirates Bight). The day started out a little choppy as there had been a shower early that morning, but I never once felt that it was more than the boat (or our Awesome Captain for the day, Martin) could handle. We did get a little wet on the way over, but isn't that what a snorkeling trip in the islands is all about!! So after a few good laughs over our bumpy adventure we arrived at the caves, just off Norman Island. It was awesome! Martin opened the pool and we had around 45 minutes of exploring in and along the caves. Next was a quick dip to look for turtles, and even though none showed up there were some great reefs and beautiful fish. We then docked on Norman Island at Pirates Bight for some grub and bar time followed by a little exploration along the shore and reefs just off the beach. The Indians would be our next adventure following about a 2 hr lunch and relax break! The Indians was most certainly something to see! Huge boulders towering over the beautiful ocean with reef on one side and deep blue water and bigger fish on the other. Swimming between the rocks and seeing the reef growing together in between was so cool. We literally swam through the reef. We also had just enough time for a quick stop at Thatch Island which was by far the most colorful and beautiful stop of the whole day! The day was made so much more fun with Martin's sense of humor and stories about each stopping point. (It's always a good to have a history buff with you to really be able to understand the history of what you are seeing!) We can't wait to go back and take another trip with this great group!! Oh, and Martin.... don't forget to look for the fish that stole my UGA shirt!! LOL

1  Thank Jenna W

Hello guys and happy new year! Thank you for your positive input and the kind words on my staff, they work hard to satisfy. Make sure to call us on your next visit, love to have you again. Oh, Martin says the fish that stole your shirt looks great, just a bit baggy! :)

See more reviews
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Our group took a daytrip with JVD Scuba and we had a fantastic trip! Rob, Collin and the entire staff were very friendly and helpful throughout the booking process.
When the weather was bad on our day of choice, they were more than happy to reschedule to a better day.
Our daytrip with our captain Martin was incredible! He is very experienced and knowledgeable and went out of his way to make our day the best! Even though the seas were fairly rough, he did an awesome job running the boat while making sure everyone was comfortable.
I thoroughly enjoyed our experience on and in the water, but the best part is I feel as if I have made new friends!

Lysak, General Manager at Jost Van Dyke Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thank you Ronnie, that is exactly what we are about! Martin is one of the best Captains around and loves to have fun, as you did. We thoroughly enjoyed having you and your friends as our guests, and you are right, you have made some new friends!!!

If there is another visit in your plans please contact me and I will do my best to get you the "friends" deal :)

Rob