“Best Empanadas!”

Sugar and Spice
Ranked #12 of 25 Restaurants in Jost Van Dyke
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed August 2, 2018

We just returned from a two week bare boating excursion in the British Virgin Islands. I'm usually wary of people coming up to our boat selling food but I'm sure glad I gave this one a try! The son of the woman who operates Sugar & Spice stopped by our catamaran with an offering of lentil or chicken empanadas. I tried the lentil and raved about it so much that our captain brought us to shore an hour or so later so we could buy enough for the whole boat. Unfortunately, they do sell out early so I recommend getting there early.

1  Thank Chandra C

Reviewed August 2, 2018

Last week the family and i spent 10 days sailing around the BVIs and by chance came across Miss Joan at the Sugar & Spice Snack Bar. i had never heard of a lentel empanada or pattie as they are called locally. You have got to try them, they are awesome. if you are on a boat make sure you call the day before and pre order, they go fast. The number is 284-543-9016. A very nice guy will deliver them to your boat in his dingy with his kid. Try the local herb tea as well. Not that king of herb :) Enjoy!!!

Reviewed July 17, 2018 via mobile

I visit Jost Van Dyke quite often. If we stay in Great Harbour, a dinghy sometimes appears bearing foil wrapped gifts from the gods. Pate’s or empanadas filled with chicken, beef, or veggies. They are still piping hot. This particular morning we did not stay in Great Harbour. We stayed around the corner in White Bay. As we came around to top off water and ice for the boat I stopped into Sugar and Spice to pick up these delicious goodies. Two left. Joan the owner kindly told me that next time if I phone ahead she will save them for me. We then had a nice chat about her home island of Grenada and how the season was. I’d like to think that I just made a new friend.
Stopping in at Sugar and Spice is a must do while you are on Jost. Great food and a wonderful hostess.

1  Thank trapper72
Reviewed June 19, 2018

If you are looking for a delicious and inexpensive breakfast sandwich, this is your place. They also have a lunch menu and the burgers are very good! Located near the ferry dock.

Reviewed June 11, 2018 via mobile

Just like your grandmama made, if she’s a Caribbean native with skills! Plates of chicken, pork and fish, all perfectly cooked and sauced. Great sides, delicious potato salad and vinegar slaw. Really reasonable and fun. Outside (picnic table) seating only. Also homemade empanadas for breakfast - super tasty and spiced just right. Very friendly! Our young entrepreneur makes her own earrings and does nails, if you’re
interested!