“Perfect!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Chicago
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband, son and I traveled on the ferry from St. Thomas to Jost Van Dyke. We left pretty early and were unable to eat before we left. Upon arrival, we were immediately greeted by Sugar and Spice. It is a very clean (the entire island felt very clean!) little restaurant and will be the first thing you encounter when walking off the dock.

The food....upon arrival, we wanted breakfast. My son, the picky eater, had a grilled cheese. Perfect. My husband had an egg, ham and cheese breakfast sandwich. Perfect. I had ham and cheese with lettuce and tomato. Again, perfect. But the most amazing part were the patties. We had beef and chicken. They were fresh and amazing! I'm still thinking about them. They also provide a nice selection of bottled drinks, both alchol and non alcohol. We spent $35 for breakfast...3 snadwiches, 2 patties, 4 bottled drinks.

After our day at the AMAZING beach of Jost Van Dyke, we returned to the ferry and stopped again at Sugar and Spice. My son was asleep and there was a nice little sandy spot to lay him down for his nap. My husband and I had the bbq pork and the bbq chicken. Each came with rice and cole slaw. The meat and cole slaw were great. Rice needed some help. So we just ordered more patties. :) We spent $40 on lunch...4 drinks, 4 patties, chicken and pork.

The service....Service is amazing. It seems like the owner has SEVERAL people either working for her or at least rooting for her. Everyone around the restaurant was talking about her and helping us out. She has a couple of picnic benches outside of the restaurant and a little covered area as well. It was a very "whatever you want, we got" sort of attitude. Very helpful and accomodating.

Can't wait to return!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank mary5984

Wilmington, Delaware
“Just like home - in the islands”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Home cooked, great taste, full portions, Worth the stop.
Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner, Sugar and Sice is always sure to please. Special orders are no problem.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Todd-and-Brenda-Z
Oxford
“'Real deal' delicious home-cooked meals at very reasonable prices .. lobster to eat in or to go ?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2010

A simple and very reasonably priced local eatery and take-away with excellent food, conveniently located at the Western side of Great Harbour beside the ferry dock.

Joan is a great cook and I was very well fed during a 2 night stay on JVD. Evidently a favourite with the locals, Sugar and Spice is as much a 'meal bar' as a ‘snack’ bar.. fabulous meals to eat “in” (an adjacent covered patio open to the sea breeze or a simple table across the street right at the water’s edge) or to go.

Headed out early morning both days with a boat. Joan set me up for the day, rustling up freshly brewed coffee and scrambled eggs with tropical fruits whilst I took a quick early morning dip round the jettys, snorkelling massive bait balls as pelicans dive-bombed the water for their breakfast.

Welcomed back on shore after hours in the waters of the ‘wild North West’ to big smiles, friendly banter and a huge plate of fresh-as-it-comes mahi mahi at lunchtime, with ‘funghi’ (see previous review) ($10)..

Returned again (exhausted) late afternoon with sweet as honey lobster just hand-caught by a local fisherman, and a large pan of sea water was summoned. Joan excelled herself preparing it with the most delicious sauce I’ve had with lobster, and all the trimmings, to take away and enjoy as the sun set on another perfect day. Best take-away I ever remember picking up !

3 Thank Alex103
Ohio
“Great local food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2008

Sugar and Spice is a small restaurant located right by the ferry dock in Great Harbor on Jost Van Dyke--the owner, Joan, is a wonderful cook. We especially liked her "fish and fungi"--it is fish steamed with green and red peppers, onion, garlic, tomatoes --when the fish is finished cornmeal is cooked in the fish water--that's the "fungi". Really it is a wonderful dish--very tasty and delicious. We ordered this twice to take back to our cottage--but you can eat there also. We also had the chicken rotii--also excellent (kind of a West Indian flour tortilla with chicken and vegetables with a curry flavor).
For breakfast try the meat, chicken or fish pastries (the filling is wrapped in pastry then fried. we aren't big fried food eaters but these were worth the calories)--we had the chicken and the fish and both were very good---we ate them while waiting for the ferry on our way home--wish we'd learned about them sooner because they were wonderful.

3 Thank OhioLiz