“Average”

Ranked #13 of 24 Restaurants in Jost Van Dyke
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My impression is that there is no great food in Great Harbor. Ali Babas is no exception. The food was acceptable but nothing special at all. Service slow but not glacial - might have been a problem if there had been more than 3 tables eating or if we hadn't placed our dinner orders midafternoon when we booked. Prices astronomic for the quality but the same as the other beachfront places here.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

It took us two hours to get our meal. I assume it took everyone else just as long because the tables around us looked just as bored.
We had to get our own drinks from the bar because we could never get our server's attention. We would have left except by the time we got fed up, it was getting late and we weren't sure we could get food anywhere else.
The lobster was over cooked, and nobody else raved about their meals, so I assume theirs were equally unsatisfying.
Wish we had eaten on board that night.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Ate here with our sailing group of 6. Others said their food was just OK. Their chicken and ribs were dry and my kingfish was terrible. I love fish and know when fish is good and fresh and this was rotten. Very fortunately, I only ate 3 bites so my food poisoning was limited. I told the owner the fish was "terrible" and he said, "I will tell the chef". Poor service, poor attitude. Can't beat the location and view though. We did have excellent service and food everywhere else in BVI.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We arrived at JVD during off season, and Urinthia graciously took our dinner reservation, and though we arrived an hour before, began cooking our dinner as soon as we arrived. The lime garlic shrimp was out of this world, and her rice is like nothing you've ever tasted - absolutely savory and delicious. Of our 5 days on JVD - we spent 3 of them eating dinner at Ali Baba's. Enjoyed the atmosphere, the service, and of course, the food! A definite must on JVD - we will be back!!!

Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband and I went into Great Harbor searching for ice cream one day and couldn't find any so we stopped into Ali Baba's for a piece of their key lime pie which we had seen on their menu in our hotel room earlier that day. There was no one around when we walked in but a man came out to see what we wanted. He said the kitchen was closed and asked what we were looking for. We asked if it would be possible to get 2 pieces of Key Lime Pie. He said yes and came back about 10 minutes later with two pieces of frozen key lime pie. Did not ask if we wanted drinks or even check on us once while we were eating. When my husband asked for the bill the man said '$20', my husband laughed assuming this was a joke but he was 100% serious. The frozen key lime pie cost us $10 per slice! The service and prices we encountered on Jost were amazing and this place truly left a bad impression compared to everywhere else we visited. We will never set foot in this place again, guaranteed!