“Superb meal and magical country charm”

Moulin de St-Laurent- Restaurant- Chalets
Reserve with OpenTable
Moulin de St-Laurent- Restaurant- Chalets is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The restaurant is located in an old flour mill dating back to 1720. We serve fine regional cuisine. Open from May to October. We have some fully equipped riverfront cottages that can accommodate 2 to 10 people summer and winter alike.
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My longtime friend Dawn and I were at the Moulin de St-Laurent the same Sunday night (May 26) as the two previous reviewers apparently were. There was a violin and guitar duet that was absolutely superb, our meals surpassed all expectations, and the staff was extremely warm and welcoming. I am a strict vegetarian and I must say my entree was exquisitely prepared and presented--a rarity in a high-end, non-vegetarian restaurant. Dawn reported that her tilapia entree was excellent as well.

I don't understand the fuss over the group of Australian retirees that was there that night. These people had as much right as anyone to be there and were apparently having a wonderful time but were not bothering anyone. We also came in without reservations, and I do not feel our service was diminished in any way because of the tour group. And I most certainly would not characterize Moulin de St-Laurent as a "tourist trap," as are many of the venues in Old Quebec that serve cafeteria-quality food at highly inflated prices.

1  Thank David V
There are newer reviews for Moulin de St-Laurent- Restaurant- Chalets

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Food was good, and we were welcomed with open arms without a reservation around 7:30pm. HOWEVER... there was a tour group already there -- a bunch of senior citizens -- and they had absolutely no regard whatsoever for the other diners in the restaurant. They sang raucously to whatever the violinist and guitar player they had hired played, and even got up to dance around all the tables. I overheard one of them say that they were likely to accidentally push my head into my soup!! Now, of course the restaurant isn't responsible for what patrons say. But they *are* responsible for allowing tour groups in to disturb their other diners, without requiring that the tour group reserve the entire restaurant. I'm sure the seniors had a great time. My husband and I, on the other hand, were thoroughly embarrassed and our "romantic dinner" was no such thing. So my only real recommendation for this restaurant is that if you can eat in peace, great. But if there's a tour group, run. Go to Les Ancestres instead. Wish we had, especially considering how much money we spent on this expensive restaurant.

1  Thank Tara S
_lise_P84, Owner at Moulin de St-Laurent- Restaurant- Chalets, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

I am very sorry if the group was pretty loud and noisy. Most of the time, that kind of group is leaving the restaurant by 8h00 pm. Also, you have to know that at this time of the year, we are open only for groups. The restaurant will open every day around Mid-June. We will then set up the dining room upstairs or the private room in the back to give the client the best experience they could get. Once again, i am very sorry for what happened and i will talk to the musicians. Maybe they didn't realize that can embarressed other people.
Anne Lachance
owner, manager

Reviewed May 28, 2013

First, the positives, the interior is very charming with exposed stone work and rustic decoration, our meal was enjoyable, and our server was friendly. However, a growing part of their business is tour buses who take up most of the dining room, sing songs and dance around the dining area to live music. If they accept tour groups, they should book it as a private function and not accept other reservations or walk ins. Our dining experience was like being at a boisterous wedding or birthday party to which we were not invited yet are subjected to their antics.

At one point during the dancing, a tour group guest joked about shoving my pregnant wife's face into her soup! I do not hold the restaurant or staff directly responsible for this comment, but, accepting such large groups and integrating them with individual customers results will result in some appalling and hostile behavior. This was incredibly unacceptable, we will never return, and will actively warn people against dining here.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I must say both my husband and I were very surprised that our shore excursion took us to this out of the way place with such good food, atmosphere and fast service. The mill house is a french affair with vegetables grown from the island. We had a delicious meal (if I remember right I think we had stuffed chicken) but the soup I couldn't stop raving about. It was the best pumpkin soup I have ever had! Even on our ship. When we come back to the area we most definitely will return to this quaint french mill house.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We were touring Ile d'Orleans on a rainy Saturday and were recommended to this charming little spot by a friend ( a French teacher). The setting was beautiful, even in the rain. there's a "pittoresque" waterfall adjacent. the price was fantastic ( 3 course lunch for less than cocktails the night before....!) service was swift, efficient and most amiaible. The ambience was charming French stone cottage. ( had a wonderfl sauvignon blanc w lunch) A lovely dejeuner!