Gros Morne Adventures Day Trips
Review Highlights
Most amazing experience in years!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
chilger
Saint Paul, Minnesota
via mobile
Tablelands Hike

Reviewed September 12, 2019
Michael B
Toronto, Canada

All reviews hour paddle gros morne adventures bald eagles sea kayak bonne bay hiking experience hour guided tour a lot of fun experienced kayakers amazing experience two hours dry bag local history learn how western brook pond boat tour beautiful sights nice morning
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My brother and I and my two adult sons spent a year planning a hike on the Long Range Traverse of Gros Morne National Park. We did a little research and found Gros Morne Adventures. After talking with owners Kristen and Robbie Hickey, we thought they would be a good fit for what we wanted to experience. Since we hadn’t been to Newfoundland before and didn’t know much about the outfitters, guides, and other services available, it was a little bit of a leap of faith when we decided to go with Gros Morne Adventures, but I am happy to say that it ended up being one of the best adventure-travel decisions we have ever made.

We stayed at the Burnt Hill Cottages (also owned by the Hickeys), and it was clean, comfortable and extremely convenient. We ended up staying there a little longer than expected because of a delay in our hike departure date caused by Hurricane Dorian, but it was a great place to call home for a couple of days. Burnt Hill Cottages were close to the outfitters, some easy local warm-up hikes, and the Cat Stop Bar.

Our hike a couples of days after our arrival was a huge success. As I have learned, Gros Morne Adventures has some of the best guides around, but we really lucked out by having the services of Robbie Hickey (co-owner of Gros Morne Adventures) and his second guide John McKenzie. These guides were fantastic. Both were knowledgeable, helpful, and a lot of fun to be around.

My fellow travelers and I all agree that this was the best hiking experience we have ever had. The hike was physically challenging just as we expected, but we were rewarded with beautiful scenery and great camaraderie.

The Long Range Traverse is typically a 4 day/3 night hike, and while many people choose to do the hike without the services of a guide, I highly recommend using one if it is in your budget allows it. Gros Morne Adventures took care all the required permits, the ferry we had to go on to access the trail, the cooking equipment, tents, first aid equipment, etc. And the food they provided was outstanding. They cooked and dehydrated all the food and tailored the menu to our preferences, and they took care of all the clean up after dinner!

One of the really great parts of using Gros Morne Adventures, is that with them as guides, we were not required to use the Park camp platforms. This allowed us to camp at some really great spots, including the most amazing campsite I have ever been to - one that overlooked 10 Mile Pond on the last night of our hike. The guides also showed us the best place to get water, which berries to eat (and which ones to stay away from), and also made sure we didn’t get run over my a moose and her calf that ran down our trail on the final leg of our trip.

Thank you, Robbie and Kristen, as well as John and the rest of the amazing Gros Morne Adventures crew. You made our adventure one of the very best ever!!!

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed September 12, 2019

Fantastic, full day hike to see this highly unique geographic area of Gros Morne. It was quite challenging with 6+ hours hiking (off piste) across boulder / scree fields and the top of the tablelands. Our guide was highly knowledgeable and paced our hike to our capabilities. Would definitely recommend for those interested in a unique and challenging experience.

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed August 27, 2019

We rented a couple of double Kayak's for an afternoon. Business was brisk, with a bus tour outside and a beautiful sunny day. We were met promptly at the door and they communicated clearly what the options and next steps were. We were 'handed' over to a couple of guides who prepared our Kayaks and gave us an overview / refresher on paddling etc, they had a waterproof map of the bay and offered a dry bag for our camera. The guides were friendly and helpful and didn't make us feel rushed even though they were obviously busy. The equipment was in good shape and functioned as it should have. The bay was fairly calm this day and we enjoyed a good couple of hours paddling along the beautiful coast line. We didn't go far this experience for our family was more about just getting out on the water and enjoying seeing the coastline from the water. Our daughter loves being on the water and for her this was one of her favourite memories of our 12 day Newfoundland trip. I thought it was great value for the time spent and I couldn't have expected more from the staff. With the double Kayaks that are available this is something you could enjoy with younger children assuming you're up for doing all the paddling :)

Reviewed August 21, 2019

The equipment is always clean and professional; the staff is second to none in customer service; they can't do enough for their customers; safety first is their motto. From young to old, Gros Morne Adventures has something of interest for someone to do. If you are looking for 'that something' try their kayaking. You could see whales, star fish, or bald eagles. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed August 15, 2019 via mobile

Many thanks to the fine folk at Gros Morne Adventures! I took two kayak tours (the two hour and the longer four hour) as well as the guided Tablelands hike. Definitely recommend a guided tour if you are interested in learning about the geology and ecology of the area as well as the history of the local communities. Each time I went on a tour the guides were friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful (shoutout to the guides I met - Niki, John, Billy, and Colin - thank you!) Great experience overall and would highly recommend this to anyone visiting the park!