“A Long Time Favourite!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Black Spruce Restaurant

The Black Spruce Restaurant
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“A Long Time Favourite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

This was not our first dinner here. Since the opening, Doug & I make a point of dining here whenever we're in town. The service, atmosphere and food are always excellent - they never disappoint! It always makes for such a great evening. For our most recent dinner we all had the beef tenderloin. It was cooked just right and was seasoned perfectly - very flavourful! With shared mussels for the appetizer - which were great - we had room for dessert. So glad we did! The white chocolate cheesecake and creme caramel made for a perfect ending!
Thanks to everyone here for providing such a wonderful place to dine - I'm looking forward to our next dinner before the season ends!

Visited September 2013
atcanad, Manager at The Black Spruce Restaurant, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. As one of our regular guests your feedback is very important to us. I'm happy to read that you had another enjoyable meal, just reading the description of your dinner is enough to make me hungry! Support from our local residents is so important in so many ways and I thank you for taking the time to write this review. Thanks again for dining with us, it's always a pleasure.

Toronto, Canada
“A special treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

It was our wedding anniversary and the staff made an effort to treat us with care. The food was beyond our expectations. Our desserts arrived on a large white platter with "Happy Anniversary" in chocolate script written across the plate. Lovely surprise.
Breakfast was very tasty but the hot table was not sufficiently heated so our French toast and eggs were almost cold. Minor complaints as otherwise the food was tasty. ( I did mention this and my complaint was well received.)

Visited August 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm so glad you decided you celebrate your Anniversary with us and also very happy that we had a part in making your day special. Thanks for the feedback on the breakfast, we would have been happy to warm it up for you at the time but we have also taken steps to correct this. Thank you so much for staying with us and also for dining with us.
St Johns,
“good views,”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were staying here and the restaurant was the easiest pallce to eat after a day walking and sight seeing. It may have be my palate but I found that most items were over seasoned with either salt for if a potatoe dish, white pepper. Presentation was good as was the portion size. The wine selection is quite good and well priced. I did think that it was a little overpriced, however you are also paying for some wonderful views. Although when we went they are starting to wind down as it is towards the end of the season, the staff were very helpfull and friendly. Every day there was a "catch of the day" special

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
atcanad, Manager at The Black Spruce Restaurant, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that our seasoning wasn't to your taste and we would have been happy to prepare you another. I'm glad you enjoyed our setting, thank you for dining with us.
Toronto, Canada
“Tasty dinner in beautiful setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

The restaurant has a small menu. The dishes were very tasty and well presented. Rather pricey; however, if you compare to some other restaurants in the area, which are terribly over-priced, even by big city standards, then the Black Spruce doesn't seem unreasonable. The setting is stunning.

Visited August 2013
atcanad, Manager at The Black Spruce Restaurant, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your review and for dining with us. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your dinner and our setting, it is a beautiful space.
Hamilton
“Good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

It's a lovely place. But pricey... and small portions. Service is great.
Family of four (2 adults 2 children $200.00) FYI
There is better food and at a more reasonable cost in the area.

Visited July 2013
atcanad, Manager at The Black Spruce Restaurant, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to read that you felt our prices to be a little high, however an average of $50 per person is reasonable for fine dining. We are very comparable to similar restaurants in the area. I am happy to know that you were pleased with our service, thank you for dining with us.