“Dinner with a View” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Black Spruce Restaurant

The Black Spruce Restaurant
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Brooklin, Canada
“Dinner with a View”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stopped here for dinner, service was friendly and helpful. Food was exceptional. We all had beef tenderloin which was very good. They had very good appetizers and desserts. The one drawback was that they were out of scallops, which we had seen earlier in the day as a special. Would recommend for the ambiance and the view.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
atcanad, Manager at The Black Spruce Restaurant, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I'm so happy that you had the opportunity to dine with us and that you enjoyed your experience. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get to try the scallops, I'm sure they would have been delicious! Thank you for dining with us.

“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We had dinner tonite at the Black Spruce and the atmosphere was great! Great wine list also. I had the roasted chicken and it was to die for! My husband had the halibut cheek special and it also was delicious. The service was excellent, very very clean! We will definitely go back on our next trip to Newfoundland.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
atcanad, Manager at The Black Spruce Restaurant, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. It's so good to get feedback from our guests, especially good feedback! The chicken dish is amazing and I'm really glad your husband had the opportunity to try the halibut cheeks, it's not something we can get all the time. Thank you for dining with us and I hope you do get the opportunity to return.
Windsor
“Nice Experience Overall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

The breakfasts had a nice variety and had new hot cooked choices each morning along with fresh baked bread and homemade jams. It was always a satisfying meal before starting the day. The dinner menu was good but a little pricey. Overall it was a nice experience.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
atcanad, Manager at The Black Spruce Restaurant, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your breakfast, I agree that a good breakfast is so important, especially for a day of hiking and exploring. We do try to keep our prices comparable with similar restaurants in the area and of course we all struggle with the cost of goods and supply in a rural areas. Thank you so much for dining with us.
Vancouver, Canada
“Big city meal at out-country price.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We are from Vancouver BC and hence are used to outstanding restaurant food. The dishes we had tonight would rival pretty much anything we've eaten. We shared Moroccan scallops, a fascinating salad with grated apple and parsnip, a pasta, and the halibut special. Each was marked by one or more local touches--the scallops themselves, sea buckthorn ice cream. In each case the dishes were marked by the perfect balance between complexity and simplicity which provides interest without excessive muddying of flavours. For dessert, we we risked the figgy duff, a dish I normally dislike, but in this case we loved it. We found the prices for food and wine very reasonable for the quality. This was a big city meal, at out-country prices. The service was also superb, and the view, on this longest day of the year, divine.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
atcanad, Manager at The Black Spruce Restaurant, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your detailed and descriptive review, I got hungry reading it! I am so happy to know that you enjoyed your dinner, we are very proud of our restaurant and it is wonderful to get such a wonderful review. Thank you for dining with us.
Toronto, Canada
“Inventive food in a magical setting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

I was visiting for a meeting and stayed an extra night so dined alone. The service was cheerful and friendly, so I didn't at all feel lonely, indeed quite welcomed. I sat by the window and took in the amazing views of Norris Point - they literally change minute by minute as the sun sets. The food had an international flare that I hadn't expected in Newfoundland and the chef carried it out beautifully. Every dish I had I would recommend. I ordered 3 starters and a dessert, accompanied by a an Australian Riesling-Sauvignon Blanc (and delicious homemade bread and bread sticks). Moroccan heirloom carrot soup Finished with coconut milk and cilantro; Apple and Parsnip Salad With dried cranberries, Sea Buckthorn gastrique and toasted hazelnuts; Mussels Steamed in white wine and finished with a roasted garlic and parsley sauce; Figgy Duff Served with molasses sauce and Sea Buckthorn ice cream. Oh, and I almost forgot the amuse bouche: a Moroccan seasoned scallop on a bed of greens. All in all, an enjoyable meal in an unforgettable setting!

Visited June 2013
atcanad, Manager at The Black Spruce Restaurant, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and such a detailed description of your dining experience with us! I am so happy to know you had a relaxing and enjoyable meal. Thank you for dining with us.