“Poor Service and Food Below Average”
Review of By The Beach

By The Beach
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Finally...got to this over-rated restaurant...(to EAT... this time.)

Firstly, I will let you know what I liked about it.....which wasn't much.
The batter on the fish was very delicious and light...like in all the reviews.... But too bad the fish inside that batter wasn't so good.

My son and I each ordered a one piece fish and chips, it being early in the day and we each received, which looked like old fish....a tale piece and it was gray...not nice and fluffy white. The fries were hardly eatable. It was as if the food had been cooked in advance and reheated.

When we walked into the place...we were not seated and had to look on the wall to read the menu, then order and pay.

The seating area could have done with a little cleaning and repairs were needed.

After reading all the nice reviews and what I actually experienced and observed...I figured they must have a lot of family and friends visiting there and giving their opinions.

If you are looking for a nice classy restaurant.....you will not find it there....it seemed to me to be a kind of truckers stop...rough and ready.

Oh and I must mention...when the girl brought our meal...I said thank-you and she said NOTHING...just walked into the back room and stayed there. She did not come out even once, to ask how our meal was, or if we cared for anything else.

We ate only a portion, of the meal and left.

Needless to say......we will NOT be returning.

1  Thank Moneek M

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I've been to this restaurant many times and have yet to be disappointed. The fish is fresh and flaky with a batter that is very light and crispy. The fries are good too. Be careful when ordering, you may get too much food! A two piece and fries could easily feed two people. A three piece can feed three people. They have great burgers too. There is also a great view of Bell Island. Sit down eat your fish and watch the sea. Excellent.

1  Thank gatobob
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were so excited to finally visit this place to taste the Fish and chips everyone was talking about.
My son and I went there Monday night at 7:20 PM. We placed our order and my son went directly to the only seat left outside,so we could have a great view of the ocean.
But.....the disappointment.....when we went to pay by credit card ,for the meal,we ordered, I was advised we could not order unless we had cash, as the machines were down,for ALL cards.
I don't know if there was anything they could have done about that,but we travelled a distance to get there
We left and went to another restaurant down there.."Beachy Cove Restaurant"
The food was fantastic and will return.
I still want to visit" By The Beach Restaurant"...but will the same thing happen again?

3  Thank Moneek M
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Fabulous view, execellent food. Beer could have been a bit colder, but that is not the worst of it. The way they have it set up to order your food and then sit down is nothing but chaotic. And as a result there is nothing but pure confusion as to where to sit and how you are going to get your food. Presently they make you order your food at the counter, then go find a table, then they come out and yell your number and you hope they got your order right. In this confusion, it turned out they charged us twice for part of our bill.

They really need to seat people then take the orders, which would eliminate most of the confusion and the messy tables people fight for. Not sure I would go back just because of the mess and confusion and lack of a calm dining experience.

1  Thank wanderx2
Reviewed August 27, 2013

It's a fairly new restaurant but they have the best fish and chips around,large portions too.The place stays so busy during the summer that you can expect a wait of at least 30-45 minutes,but it is well worth it.