“A disappointing experience” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Atlantica Restaurant - CLOSED

Atlantica Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Route 1
Newfoundland, Canada
“A disappointing experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Five family members and I decided to dine together on the evening of August 24th. Having never been to the acclaimed Atlantica, we decided we would give it a try. The first issue was parking...space was very limited. The welcome at reception was lukewarm and a little awkward. The restaurant room and atmosphere were pleasant, and as we had requested a window table, we had a lovely view. We then commenced a series of successive waits that became almost laughable. Furthermore, the food portions were inadequate, the flavours and presentation were unremarkable, and my entree had to be returned for reheating. (It came back to me warmer but still not warm enough for my preference; rather than endure further delay, I ate it.) The wait staff were gracious and pleasant, but not sufficiently attentive. (For example, we were never offered more bread, wine or coffee.) I was left with the impression of a formulaic approach that was not sensitive to diners' hunger or adaptable to their preferences. At the end of it all, we paid far, far too much for a surprisingly mediocre dining experience. Consequently, I will not be returning to Atlantica.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank France2007

St. John's, Canada
“A Great Night with Friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I found the service and food to be first rate.
The view and sunset were unforgettable.
I would highly recommend this marvelous eatery
for a super meal.
Make reservations before the sunsets to take in the view.

• Visited July 2013
St. John's, Canada
“Great view, nice people, bad food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

The view from the dining room is spectacular. If it hadn't been for that view, our dinner would have been intolerable. It took almost 3 hours to get an appetizer and entrée. We both thought our appetizers were pretty good, but not fabulous. Our entrees were a major disappointment. I had beef tenderloin. The meat itself was cooked well but the rest of the plate was just awful. It was cold (as was my date's meal). It was all served in some kind of grey paste that had no taste so I couldn't tell what it was supposed to be. The "veggies" were exactly 8 kernels of corn and 3 julienne slices of carrot, soggily overcooked. There was also part of a cooked tomato, which when I cut it, blended with the grey paste to make the most visually disgusting plate I've ever seen. That plate of beef cost $45. The portions are tiny, which would be fine if they were really delicious, but they weren't. Our whole meal, which included only 1 glass of wine for my date and water for me, was $184 before tax and tip. It just wasn't worth the money. They did try to add a couple of nice touches, including an amuse bouche and an intermezzo, but somehow it came off as pretentious because the quality just wasn't there. The place doesn't have much ambience but is clean. There were several waitresses, and all were friendly and helpful, other than the fact that our food arrived cold. I wanted to like this place, I really did, but it's way, way overpriced for the quality.

St. John's, Canada
“Disappointing - poor value for your money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I wanted to have a nice romantic anniversary dinner; our usual spot is Raymond's, but we wanted to try somewhere new so we gave Atlantica a shot... bad idea. The atmosphere is that of a hotel conference room (albeit with a spectacular view), and the acoustics were such that the ambient noise in the room was quite loud. My wife inquired about a wine pairing, at which point our waiter said "oh, I have something in mind for you" - no offence, but at these prices I expect a sommelier to select a pairing, bring it to the table and provide a brief history of the selection and why it was chosen - you know, like they do at Raymonds, and most every other fine dining establishment.

Moving on to the food, the portions are tiny - and I mean even by fine dining standards. My risotto appetizer was about two tablespoons spread so thin on the bottom of a bowl that it was room temperature by the time it got to the table; my "fried chicken" entrée consisted of two pieces of chicken each about the size of a D cell battery, with about two tablespoons of pureed fennel potato and one tablespoon of vegetables. Presentation was mediocre at best, unless the sight of an empty plate impresses you.

Miscellaneous other items we noted included water spots on the glasses, a chip out of the frame of the mirror we were seated next to (which was odd in itself), a wobbly leg on another patron's chair, and inadequate parking on a roadside gravel strip.

You guessed it - we won't be back. Our dining dollar goes much, much further at Raymond's :)

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank David B
St. John's, NL
“Classy yet not pretentious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Organized a function and meal here. Found the chef and staff to be very professinoal, attentive and took good care of our needs, and promptly offered alternatives to accommodate one of our group with allergies. Dining area was intimate and cosy, with a stunning sunset view toward Bell Island. Will definitely be back.

Visited September 2012