“In need of many improvements.”
Review of Clarenville Inn

Clarenville Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Clarenville
Calgary, Canada
“In need of many improvements.”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

As a child I stayed in the Clarenville Inn (was Holiday Inn at the time) frequently. While visiting Newfoundland this summer I thought it would be a good idea to stay there again. Let me tell you, there will not be another trip to the Clarenville Inn unless I hear there are many changes. Firstly, we booked three rooms 6 months in advance as tourism in NL is crazy during the summer. We received a quote over the phone (they don't do email quotes) at the time of booking. When we paid, the bill was $100 more than expected. The front desk personnel said, it is subject to change. This was not stated at the time of booking. i can't help to think they put up the prices due to Kraft Hockeyville being in town. Also at the time of booking, we requested one cot. Upon arrive, they were all out. Finally, the breakfast buffet was constantly out of what they had on display. The things that were not on display had to be requested but the service was so terrible and slow, it was not worth the wait.

Room Tip: Second floor. Go to Irving for Breakfast.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank 2307Susan
Jennifer S, Group Sales Coordinator at Clarenville Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, it is very important to us. We apologize for the miscommunication with regard to email quotes as we do provide these. In addition, we now accept online reservations from our website. We have entirely renovated all of our guest rooms to enhance the overall experience for our guests while keeping our prices comparable with other establishments in the area. With regard to your dining room experience, we have reviewed your concerns with our Food & Beverage manager to ensure that such issues can be avoided for you and other guests in the future. If you would like to discuss any further details about your stay please feel free to contact me by email at jsmall@clarenvilleinn.ca.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on my way back to St. John's. The beds are so comfortable! There's been renovations made to the rooms since I last stayed here and the place looks really nice. I stayed on the front of the building and had a balcony. The view was of the highway but on a hot evening it would not matter to me as long as I could sit outside.

Room Tip: The rooms on the back of the building have a view of the water.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 835Dolores709
Markham, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here 1 night on our way back from St Pierre. Was pleasantly surprised at the renovated rooms and amenities. Very clean and updated. My only complaint would be the cost of the 1 night stay. As breakfast wasn't included, the cost of 1 night was more than any night we paid in St John's or Halifax. With the limited choice in the area, I'd come back anyway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Leicester, UK
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel is right on the Trans-Canada Highway and provides a useful stop-off for people heading to the W of the island or wanting to explore the Bonnavista peninsular. Rooms are a decent size and comfortable and service is OK.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the bay - not only is the view better but you will be spared the noise of truc...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ianewestt
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Clarenville Inn was formerly Holiday Inn. It's old, but clean and the rooms are large, with up to date large modern televisions.The staff is very friendly. My husband and I only stayed one night as a stop over, travelling further across the island. It's a comfortable hotel and certainly won't mind staying there again. The only draw back was the hotel is located near the highway and while it was quiet at night and you were able to sleep the highway traffic noise started early.

Room Tip: Perhaps you can ask for a room at the back for more quitness.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Newfoundland
Reviewed June 21, 2012

A group of us stayed at the Clarenville in on our way to St. Pierre. We arrived late at night and I was extremely surprised at the rennovations and the comfort of the beds. We had an early rise and much to my surprise, I actually slept in. Try to get a window seat in the restaurant as the view is lovely; and the food is good also.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the town, away from the highway.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Goulds, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I was referred to the Clarenville Inn by a co-worker and it was just as she said it was; a beautiful spot. I brought my wife and 7 yr old daughter to get away from the city for a few nights and we were not disappointed. The rooms were beautifully laid out and very clean. This was a big selling point as I am in the hospitality industry; with a few years as a housekeeping supervisor, so I am very picky about cleanliness. We ate in the restaurant a few times and they were very accommodating about the special diet requests I had and the staff paid special attention to my 7 yr old and made her feel important. The front desk staff was very friendly when we had requests, whether it was just a newspaper we needed or how to find certain places in the town. Overall we had a super time and my daughter is already asking when can we go back. I'm sure we will be back before the summer is over, maybe more than once!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clarenville
St. Jude Hotel
#4 of 4 in Clarenville
Kilmory Resort
Kilmory Resort
#1 of 1 in Swift Current

Been to Clarenville Inn? Share your experiences!