“Avoid!”

Brittany Inn's Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lewisporte
Brittany Inn's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Lewisporte B&B and Inns
Middleton, Canada
“Avoid!”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I seldom ever give this low rating on a review, but this was one of, if not the worst, motel I have ever had the misfortune to stay in. Originally I had been slated to stay for a week... I checked out at dawn the first morning (and only because motels in nearby communities were all booked up did I even stay the one night). The place was filthy. I was in an "efficiency" suite that still had avocado green appliances and they were so dirty and worn out I didn't want to touch them. The room hummed constantly as I believe it was over an electrical room, the Wifi constantly kicked out to the 3, yes 3, routers on site so connections would be lost and picked up on a different router constantly. The bedding was stained, as were the carpets (not including the rips) the toilet had a nasty yellow seat, there were bits of mouldy food on the baking sheet in the oven, there was more mouldy food in the heating unit, and the entire place had a smell to it. First thing I did (after finding there were no other motels available) was go and buy Febreeze for my room. The walls are paper thin, the TV next door was so loud that I couldn't hear my own. I slept in my clothes, on top of the sheets, for a few hours and then got out as soon as I could. I have never seen such a place (and it was 129 a night!) There is no point even mentioning things like this to management as they must be well aware of the state of their rooms, they obviously just don't care. Oh, and I was able to get in through the "conference room" secure door that didn't latch, go through a dark room and get upstairs that way, which was the staircase that had all the nesting chairs and tables stacked in it. I switched from my first room to a regular room as there was no way I was paying an extra 30 dollars a night for things I had no intention of using. Room was no better, just didn't have the nasty appliances. Stained carpets throughout and the smell lingered on. My view went from the mouldy rooftop to the overgrown tennis court.
Suggestion to travellers... stay in Gander or Grand Falls and make the commute. That's what I did after one night.

Room Tip: Find a different motel. That's your only option.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CrownVictoria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is a great place to stay if there are a lot of people in your party. Staff were very accommodating, and house keeping we're excellent, no complaints in our party. Hotel is very dated but you have to remember this is a small town and the rooms are not expensive. If the rooms were $200.00 per night then well you would expect more, but they are not. The rooms are being updated slowly with new comforters and beds from what I could see from other rooms that friends were staying in. TV's have been updated to widescreen, but really in such a beautiful area you really are not there to watch TV. Great location for touring the surrounding area.
The food at the hotel is great, home cooked style menu and big portions. Fast service in the restaurant, next time I will be having the fish & chips because everyone raved about it!
Charmaine at the hotel was great, she was very accommodating with our group and went above and beyond for us.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KenCPink
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Brittany Inn is a small ‘tired’ motel situated in the centre of Lewisporte. We stayed there one night in one of the two suites. The window looked out over the water. The suite was roomy with a small fridge and TV. The king sized bed had a very spongy mattress and lumpy pillows that threatened to engulf us in the middle of the night. The bathroom had a nice clean Jacuzzi bath/shower. The carpeting in both the suite and corridors was stained and looked dirty. However, the front desk and cleaning staff were friendly and helpful. We didn’t eat at the motel but locals told us the food was good. The room cost us over $150.

Room Tip: The two suites are reputedly better than the other rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I have used this hotel over 20 times in the last 20 years or more. There is very little choice in Lewisporte but that being said this hotel is clean but old and needs some work. The service is ok. The food is very good; I find the hotel restaurant the best place to eat in town.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 8, 2011

It seems that except for B&Bs this is the only place in Lewisporte to stay. Check-in was fairly quick, I was given my old-fashioned, metal key, and off to my room I went. The room itself was OK with two double beds. a small table with chair and a small desk with a chair. The TV was adequate but certainly not new.

The washroom was equipped with the usual towels and small bars of soap with a small bottle of shampoo. This hotel does not provide irons and boards in each room. It's obviously not set up for a business traveler. No access code was required for the wireless internet and speed seemed quite good.

The hotel does have a dining room but I didn't eat there so I can't really comment on it.

Check-out in the morning was fairly fast and efficient.

There is nothing special about this hotel based upon my stay but it was a clean place to stay overnight. I guess I'd stay again if ever in Lewisporte again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Gutch2

Been to Brittany Inn's Hotel? Share your experiences!