“Excellent food, good atmosphere”

The Charlotte Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Onancock
Cuisines: American, European, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The award-winning restaurant features cuisine that is prepared using many Eastern Shore products. It is with great pride that we support local watermen, farmers, and area businesses. Because much of our fare is made from locally available ingredients, the menu changes frequently, often daily. Everything is house-made, including the ice cream! Our bar is well stocked, and the extensive wine list offers selections from around the world.
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at The Charlotte Hotel for two nights, so for Saturday dinner we decided to make a reservation at the restaurant, having heard good things about it.

For 7pm dinner, the dining room was about half full, which was nice. But I would have preferred a little more liveliness to enhance the atmosphere.

That takes nothing away from the food though, which was quite a treat. Everything was well prepared and presented, and could have fetched higher prices if this were back in DC, where we're from. The staff were friendly and attentive.

We split the mussels appetizer and a bottle of wine. The wine list is fairly large. For our main dish, my girlfriend got the scallops, which were perfectly cooked and quite delicious, possibly the best we've had. I got the crab cakes, which were also delightful in that they were all crab meat without too much seasoning that might be used to hide the flavor of lesser quality meat (which this was not).

Definitely recommended if you're in the area.

There are newer reviews for The Charlotte Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed June 22, 2013

very spacious , food was very good , the waitress attentive to or needs.but to me and my wife the price of the food was on the high side.

Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

We have dined here several times and never had a bad meal. The food is well prepared and presented. The menu is creative. The wine list s very good and the owner is a great resource for advice on pairings. The service is attentive. The surroundings have an interesting artistic flair. All in all this experience is a warm culinary embrace.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Recently, my wife and I spent two nights in Onancock, Virginia to celebrate her birthday! While there, we had the pleasure one evening to dine at The Charlotte Hotel. This restaurant was recommended to us by the innkeepers at The Inn at Onancock.

We were able to walk to this restaurant from our inn, and found the restaurant to be nicely furnished with dark wood and beautifully framed botanical illustrations, that were masterfully drawn by Charlotte, the owner of this restaurant/inn.

The ambience was warm and inviting, and we found the wait staff to be attentive, engaging, and professional. The dinner entrees were creatively presented on large plates and were cooked to perfection. We finished the meal with the much recommended homemade ice cream, that is made on the premises. We chose the pistachio ice cream, that was loaded with flavorful bits of this wonderful nut! It was a nice dining experience!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Went for dinner Saturday night and I am so impressed with the food at this place. Finally a wonderful restaurant on the Shore. We started with blue cheese pear salad $9. Scallop appetizer was done perfectly - some kind of light cream sauce on top was the perfect touch $12. My mom and sister both had the Steak au Poivre $31. Served with a duchess potato and hericot verts. The steak was cooked perfect to the temperature ordered and seemed to be a very good quality cut of beef. They both said the pepper was a little spicy but that's what you get with really fresh pepper so I think that's a good sign :-). They had a special New Years weekend menu and didn't have fried oysters on it like the regular menu I had read had. So I asked and the waitress was super accomodating and checked with the chef and they accomodated. Perfectly breaded oysters served with fingerling potatos and baby asparagus for $24. We had an orange chambord creme brulee and homeade vanilla icecream for dessert. I can't wait to go back.

We plan on going there for my Dad's 75th birthday in January. I asked what time they opened the owner said 5:00. When I said that was a little late as I'd have a 4 hour drive home after dinner the owner (well I assume the owner but not certain) said that if we could definitely commit, he'd open early. Very impressive that he would make that accomodation too.