“Beautiful restaurant, fresh food, great service”
Review of Canvas Cove Bistro

Canvas Cove Bistro
Ranked #3 of 19 Restaurants in Twillingate
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Canvas Cove Bistro, offers a panoramic view of Twillingate harbour: fishing flakes, sail boats, fishing schooners and Greenland icebergs in season! Our licensed bistro offers the finer side of dining. Relaxed ambience. Gourmet, local seafood dishes. Elegant soups and salads. Extensive wine selection. Sit back and savour the view while enjoying our signature drinks or locally brewed Quidi Vidi Iceberg beer. Free WiFi. Fresh. Local. Delicious.
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had dinner here after arriving in Twillingate as it was just down the road from our B&B and our host suggested it to us. I was disappointed that they had lobster on the menu but we were told that nothing with lobster is available anymore as the season is over. Not a big deal that I couldn't order lobster since I was aware the season was over, but they should probably change their menu.

I had the chowder and the curry shrimp and my husband had the chowder and cod. The chowder was delicious and my husband was super happy with his cod as it was very fresh. I was slightly disappointed with my curry shrimp as the shrimp looked like they were the frozen packaged kind (very small) and slightly over cooked. The dish still tasted good but I expected the shrimp to be the main focus of the dish, rather than just a part of a curry and rice dish. We finished off with a banana flambe and that was delicious.

Food was a bit pricey but about the same as what I'd expect back home in Calgary. So even though it seemed expensive for Twillingate, it was no surprise to me when the bill came.

The restaurant decor is simple and nice, and our server was friendly and even wrote down a few recommendations for places to visit when we go to Gros Morne. We were well taken care of. Overall, a very nice dining experience and well worth the visit. Great for a romantic or casual dinner. We went at night so can't comment on the view, but based on the location I'd expect the view from the restaurant to be excellent!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Excellent pan seared local cod, the shrimp salad was also amazing. Very fresh and flavourful. Friendly, attentive service. We truly enjoyed our experience.

1  Thank Sw217
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The meal was okay, although the seared cod was already lukewarm when it arrived. My main criticism is the small amount o food on each plate. The amount of cod was almost adequate but very few potato wedges and few vegetables. It would have cost very little for them to make the portions larger and had some bread or buns.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food at this little bistro. Twillingate is such a tiny little community, we were expecting to be served just fish and chips. But this bistro puts out legitimately gourmet food. We fully enjoyed!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed in Twillingate for four days this past August and ate three of our four dinners at this warm inviting bistro. Once we found it, we didn't eat anywhere else. The food is fresh, beautifully presented and delicious. The chef is amazing! The coffee is excellent. The staff are friendly and efficient and the price is reasonable. The location right on the water allows a beautiful view and their deck is inviting. A bonus is that it is only a few steps away from the Newfoundland Chocolate Company store at the end of the dock! This bistro is well worth a visit. You can also book your Iceberg Quest Boat Tour at the restaurant and catch the boat right at the dock there.