“AWESOME PLACE”

Prime Berth Fishing Museum
Ranked #2 of 24 things to do in Twillingate
More attraction details
Owner description: Prime Berth Twillingate Fishery & Heritage Centre is a private interpretive fishing center and craft studio created by David Boyd as a tribute to his fisher forefathers.In honour of this tradition, and as a tribute to proud people so dear to his heart, David decided to call his heritage centre - "Prime Berth"- meaning literally -"the best spot!"
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is a must to see you'll find everything on display about fishing a really nice friendly place to visit we'ved learned so much,It's worth your time.

1  Thank suuezyq

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Dave Boyd, the owner, has done a fabulous job at recreating the fishing history of Newfoundland.
Dave brings fishing to life when he "splits a cod" for his visitors. My cousin and I were lucky when we got to spend a day on the water with Dave. We jigged for cod, pulled in and placed some nets and enjoyed the beautiful scenery that only Newfoundland can offer. Dave will take you back in time with his poetry, which is a beautiful experience when recided by him personally. We have encouraged him to record his work. Bill is a wonderful musician, I had a great time playing the "ugly stick" with him. If you are planning to visit leave a lot of time to explore every corner of Prime Berth. Well worth the visit. I am planning my return trip to Newfoundland one summer later and Prime Berth will be a repeat visit. This time I hope to stay in Dave's Heritage home. My inlaws have already booked their stay with Dave for this July. A must visit!!!!!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Prime Beth is so worth the trip to Twillingate.

Captain Dave and Christine are the best of the best when it comes to making you feel welcome. They take the time to delight you will tales of times gone by (Murmuring) and what their hopes are for the future of their beloved Newfoundland.

My husband and I stayed at “My Outpost Home” which is in Tizzard Harbour where Dave was born and raised. I referred to this place as a little bit of heaven because it was so lovely. The two bedroom house is situated on the side of a hill looking out over the bay, the view is amazing. Dave and Christine have done a great job of making this a relaxing and comfortable place to put you feet up or in my case rock in the rocking chair in the window with the coffee (that is supplied as well as other necessities) . Would highly recommend this as a destination for any traveler.

The Prime Berth Museum has so many interesting things which are displayed in way that was not only informative but entertaining. Dave's and Christine's collection of Newfoundland folk lore plus their history of the fishing industry past and present is done in such a manner that you do not wish the tour to end. Dave's associate will entertain you with great Newfoundland music as well as his stories of his growing up in the area.

The joys of this place never seemed to end.

We had a wonderful time going out fishing with Captain Dave. Being a person born and raised away from the water the thought of going out in a little skiff was not something I really wanted to do but was willing to try. It only took a few minutes on the water to realize that our captain knew his stuff, I truly did not want the fishing trip to end, getting to see a whale was something I will never forget. At the end of the boat trip Captain Dave gave us our catch for supper and he and Christine were kind enough to showed us how to cook the fish the fish for supper was the perfect end to a perfect day.

Twillingate has so much offer any one who wants the true Newfoundland experience.

The Cozy Tea Room is an absolute must!!

1  Thank TerryNewBrunswick
Reviewed October 31, 2012

If you get close to Twillingate, make a side trip to this museum. Beginning with the folk songs and explaination on the collapse of the cod fishery to the video on moving the family "stage" and the complete taking apart of each useful part of the cod, the tour was most informative. As a bonus we watched 3 locals remove fish from their nets and make repairs to the nets at the same time. To watch our guide cut out every useful piece from the cod was like watching a surgeon at work, he was so precise. The outer buildings provided a historical prespective of the industry through books, pictures, film and equipment.
The whole tour was an unvarnished history of the industry to the present time. Well worth the effort to get to Twillingate!!!

1  Thank jeter241
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I can not stop talking about the cod fishing trip with Dave Boyd, he is a One of a Kind. We had stopped at the gift shop and museum after the causeway on the way to Twillingate, good thing we did as woman inside (I think his wife) mentioned about the cod fishing. Once in the hotel I phoned and arranged it and Dave met us there in the morning to take us out. No credit card or cash up front, just a friendly guy to deal with. Once on the boat, before we went fishing we had to check his nets. Then out to the open water in a 22 foot open boat to jigg for cod at 153 feet deep, with a catch almost everytime. These are not small fish. We were in about 5 good spots and I think Dave said he knew 22 in the area. After fishing for a while in we go, but first we have to check the bilge in his big commercial fishing boat after the rain the night before. Needless to say we felt like real Newfoundlanders after a morning with Dave. Even after we were back he personally toured us through his most interesting museum and filleted the cod for us. I felt like I was robbing him at $50 dollars each so gave him a $15 dollar tip. Best bang for my tourist dollar I think I have ever had. Big mistake if you don't stop at Daves after you cross the causeway. Thanks Dave

3  Thank RayHill