“Long Weekend Break”
Review of Emlyn Hotel

Emlyn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newcastle Emlyn
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Stayed over the Jubilee Weekend with my Husband & my 83 year old Dad. I had requested a room with a walk in shower for my father & was delighted to see they had given my dad a disabled room which was perfect for him due to his age & health conditions. Our room was nice & decorated to a very high standard & with a lovely bathroom, the only gripe was that the phone in the room was broke, the room was very dark with a very small window & overlooked the garden centre next door! We had lunch in the Hotel on our first afternoon which was nice although I had ordered a toasted sandwich & did not realise it would be fried bread which was very greasy! My dad asked for his sandwich on bread & butter & his came on fried bread but he just ate it as you dont like to moan!! We ate in the Italian Restaurant at the back of the Hotel on Saturday Evening which was nice but there was only one waiter on who was running around like a headless chicken so the service was very slow! Breakfast was a huge disappointment, it was self service which included making your own tea or coffee etc out of a hot flask & to get to the cooked breakfast options, you had to walk up a slope, through the back dining room, along a small dark corridor that had another upward slope & then you arrived at the cooked breakfast bar! You were served with a choice of cooked breakfast, but it was not very hot at all and the toast was like cold cardboard.
We ate in the Hotel Restaurant on Sunday Eve which was lovely but again it was not without a few minor problems! Firstly, they got my dad's order wrong but we just left it, & secondly we ordered wine with our meal & when it came we had to ask for wine glasses. It was clear that the problems were arising because there just did not seem to be enough staff on. Service in the drinks bar was another understaffed problem, over the weekend we heard so many people moan & complain about having to wait etc etc!
This is all such a shame, as the Hotel is really beautiful, it's tastefully decorated, with very hard working staff, and the managment are lovely lovely people who go out of there way to make you feel welcome.
Please dont let me put you off staying here as it is well worth a visit as it really is a lovely modern beautifully refurbished Hotel & despite our few minor issues we did enjoy our time here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Booked this hotel in the morning for a late afternoon arrival. Very good standard, room very comfortable, large modern bathroom with good sized walk in shower. Lot of care appears to have been taken with the decor, there are two small bars a very nice restaurant and the staff were very welcoming. Meals were very well presented and tasty. The location is ideal for touring around the local area which we did taking in a couple of small beaches and some very pretty countryside but the town itself doesn't appear to have anything to offer visitors.

Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel.We are so glad you enjoyed your break with us and hope to see you in the near future,
Keith Eaton GM.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

Wonderful hotel reflecting 5 star service usually only found in large, corporate style hotels! It was a last minute booking which was at an amazing reduction! Exceptional personal service & our son was delighted to hear he could be accomodated for with wi-fi, flat screen TV & a rather 'flash'LED bathroom mirror! We choose to dine in the Pizzeria - again to our sons delight! Again, excellent service, cleanliness & food amount/quality could nit be faulted. The town itself is a beautiful and quaint part of Wales close enough to enjoy Cenarth Falls or perfect Pembrokeshire!
We cannot wait to return to join in October for a family wedding which, we are confidently told, will be held in 'The Nest'........

Room Tip: All the rooms looked of very high spec!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I have visited the "Emlyn Arms hotel" many times over the years and have seen the standards rise and fall (although the restaurants has been consisitently very good.) This most recent refurbishment, coupled with a staff who want to look after you,has made the hotel a superb place to stay; If you are visiting this area of Wales I would look away from some of the larger towns and use Newcastle Emlyn as a quiet relaxing base to explore the area. This hotel would perfectly complement your visit. If you're a golfer you'll find the manager very useful and enthusiatic !

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I booked less than 24 hours before looking for a discount and was pleased by the generous reduction on offer. We could not fault our stay, the staff were welcoming and friendly, i myself work weekends and Bank holidays and know what a drag it can be but not a sign of it,. The carvery was excellent and a convivial afternoon was spent in the bar watching football with other guests and off duty staff. Our room was excellent the one and only issue was that we had a fire escape door (room 20 ) and no window to keep open at night as we like to so felt a little stuffy but did not detract from an excellent stay - we will be back

Reviewed May 6, 2012

I booked the hotel as we were attending a wedding reception at the premises. We had a warm welcome and an efficient check in. When we got to the room it was very clean and the decor was fine. However, I had booked a double room and was given a twin. Unfortunately, the hotel was full and so there was no option but to stay in that room. The staff seemed to be trying to sort something out but their only solution was to move another guest out of their double room into our twin, but of course I would not have done this. The rest of the stay was lovely and the hotel staff were friendly. I would say I think it was a tad overpriced but this may have been down to the fact we were there on a wedding weekend. I do think a reduction in our rate should have been given as we did not get the room I booked but we still enjoyed our stay.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Having read the various reviews, I must say I was very impressed.....I had a lovely large room (Room 2 in the Coach House). Problems with the TV signal/reception were sorted out by the helpful receptionist promptly. The room was lovely and refurbished to a very high level indeed. The bathroom was also lovely, and I couldn't really fault the room or facilities at all. The food was superb and service I found generally to be very good. However, I did find that smokers stood in the rear doorway, opposite the Coach House, where their voices echoed loudly up to the first floor and I found that a bit disturbing, especially as they got louder as they drank more and I was trying to sleep. However, the worst part was the metal sign swinging immediately outside the bedroom window; on a normal day/night this is not a problem. But during the night a ferocious storm whipped up and the swinging sign sounded like someone clomping up a set of metal fire escape steps. It went on for hours until the storm subsided. In the morning, after I had paid my bill, I reported this fact to one of the two ladies on reception (not the one who handled my reservation the previous evening), who seemed to be in complete denial that there had been a problem and tried to tell me that the storm woke me, not the metal sign. She then went on to say that she had been woken by the storm and it doesn't happen often, so dismissed the fact that I was a paying guest at £110 per night and that as it may not happen often then it can't be a problem. I must say this left a sour taste in my mouth after what had been a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
#1 of 1 in Lampeter
Spilman Hotel
Spilman Hotel
#1 of 7 in Carmarthen

Been to Emlyn Hotel? Share your experiences!