“Community-run hotel with good atmosphere”

Gigha Hotel Restaurant
Cuisines: British, Scottish
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bellshill, United Kingdom
“Community-run hotel with good atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Although I did not stay at the hotel i had a meal every evening there. The food is average and can be on the expensive side, depending on what you choose. The soup however was disappointing and the soup of the day could change without hardly any notice.
The pub and lounge have a very good friendly atmosphere with a mix of locals and visitors. This is a community run hotel and deserves to do well - with a bit of tweaking it could be very good indeed.

• Visited August 2013

“Slightly let down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I have been in Gigha for the few days and it was a lovely trip away. Went to this Hotel for drinks on Saturday night and the staff (Luke I think?) And the punters were very friendly and welcoming. A great night was had by all. Went in today for lunch with friends who had travelled over for the day. The prices were fair priced. Unfortunatly there was a slight mistake with our ordet which didnt bother us (iv worked in hotels and know how easy it is to make a mistake). It was the attitude of one of the ladies (small woman with glasses) that we were all taken by suprise with. We ordered 3 toasties (which were very poor) a sandwich and 4 portions of chips (chips were good). When food was on its way out we were 1 portion of chips short and one of the sandwiches were not toasted in which my friend pointed out. This lady had an attitude from this point and actually said to my friend 'well yous didnt write it on the order' (either she meant the waitress hadnt or we hadnt. Eithet way the response was very inappropriate and unprofessional). On her way out I politley asked if there was another portion of chips to come in which she replied 'no'. I explained all 4 of us had ordered chips and my response was absolutely nothing. She just looked at my like I was causing hassle amd walked away. When the remaining toastie amd chips finally appeared it was still wrong as my friend had ordered cheese amd pickle! So once again my friend said 'excuse me but I ordered pickle' to another member of staff and the original waitress quickly said 'oh im sorry we are out of pickle'. (continue to next review please)

• Visited August 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great location, great food, slightly let down by the under-staffing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

My family and I (2 adults, 2 teenagers) stayed two nights, lovely food, rooms very comfortable, cosy bar full of hearty sailing types on their way up and down the west coast, great views from the garden across the bay to the mainland. Only niggle was the rather erratic service in the evening (the single friendly waitress was run off her feet) and at breakfast, where a rather-inefficient waitress struggled to deliver breakfast in time for us to catch the ferry back to Tayinloan.

NB While on Gigha you should hire bikes from the hut near where the ferry comes in (book in advance) and cycle up to the north end of the island where there is a lovely beach.

• Visited July 2013
Lochgilphead, United Kingdom
“Great food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Ate at the hotel as we were at a wedding. Food was wonderful - buffet style spread with lots of seafood. Staff very friendly. Would definitely recommend. Noticed visitors to the bar having fish and chips which looked amazing - shame we didn't get to try it - will just have to go back ourselves - great excuse!

Visited June 2013
Walsall, United Kingdom
“Excellent break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Spent 3 nights at the Gigha hotel with our dog while on a break to Kintyre. Extremely welcoming - a real home from home feel. The staff were all really helpful and welcoming. Food was excellent freshly cooked with local produce. Made us feel really welcome including the dog. The island is beautiful and wouldn't hesitate to return. Highly recommended. Thanks for a fantastic break.

Visited May 2013