“Disappointed.”

Ranked #16 of 211 Restaurants in Woking
Cuisines: British, Healthy
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Pub and restaurant with twelve boutique rooms located on the A322 just 3 miles from J3 of the M3 in the Guildford direction. It is open from 7 am for breakfast, midday for lunch and 6pm for dinner. The bar is open 11am to 11pm daily. The twelve beautiful rooms were opened in 2015 and are fantastic value starting at £125 for the standard rooms to £150 per night for the larger rooms. The pub and restaurant has been completely refurbished by Gerry and Ann Price who have owned the property for seventeen years. The food is all fresh, modern British and the sauces are homemade and very good. Game is from Windsor Great Park, fish mainly from Cornwall. There are always two and often three beers on handpump and the wine list if fantastic. Breakfast is served from from 7 am, lunch from 12 midday and dinner from 6pm.
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I had dinner here on Saturday night to celebrate our wedding anniversary and were very much looking forward to it, both having eaten here previously.

We arrived on time, to take a table booked for 8.15pm and were asked if we'd like a drink in the bar first. We said we'd prefer to go through to the dining area, only to be told that we might as well have a drink as suggested, since they would not be able to take our order for some time anyway. No reason was given for this.

Only at 9pm were we finally taken to our table (we had to ask for menus after a 20 minute wait, and ordered in the bar) but our starter did not arrive for a further 15mins. Again no explanation for the delay.

Our starters were adequate but small (particularly as we were by then very hungry - no bread was brought to our table in the interim), and our main course did not arrive until just before 10pm. Once again, no apology was offered.

The restaurant seemed understaffed as, I presume, was the kitchen that night. While we both really enjoyed our main courses they were not, I'm afraid, worth the extensive and unexplained hold up. It was obvious that other diners were as disgruntled as ourselves.

Overall we were very disappointed with our experience, not least considering the price.

Dinerouter01, Owner at The Inn West End, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

I am so sorry that things were not up to standard on Saturday. I understand your annoyance and am pretty frustrated myself. We have five chefs, one of whom was away on holiday last week. Unfortunately another was off sick for three days, including Saturday and so, yes, we were short of staff in the kitchen. We try to have a backup system for such eventualities but clearly we weren't able to find someone that night.
I am really sorry that we didn't live up to your or our expectations and would be pleased to make amends if you would call me on my mobile 07767 802241.

Thankyou for giving your side of the Saturday night story.

Best Wishes

Gerry Price

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

the reviews on trip advisor promised so much so rather let down. we arrived early told them we had arrived. settled in the bar for a drink. People came ordered food moved to tables and we didn't even get menus. the pub bit got busy so eventually asked for our table. placed our order and were warned the kitchen was busy. 40 mins later cold starters arrived. we waited over 30 mins more for mains and finally saw pudding nearly three hours after arrival. for the price it would have been good if the salad leaves laddled on my food had some flavour and if the risotto had been seasoned. I under stand the pork was very good. wine and beer were both superb. puddings saved the evening. bill was inaccurate but we had been so worn down by the glacial speed of service we gave up and overpaid. we just wanted to go home. waitress was friendly but rarely seen.
This place has too many tables for the kitchen and needs scaling back a bit. food very good but overpriced really. for the price I expected the base ingredients to be better quality. priced 15% less with timely service the inn would be very good. reality is underwhelming

Dinerouter01, Owner at The Inn West End, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Katrina,

I am so sorry that we let ourselves and you down. I am away for the weekend so not sure what happened but will make sure we check this out. I would also like to offer you at least a refund or better still a free meal if you will give us another chance. It would help if I know when you came - lunch or dinner and the day, I assume Saturday 2nd.

We have been in the business a longtime and are here to give you a good time, so we are as disappointed as you when this sort of thing happens. Please accept my apologies and feel free to contact me to sort out a mutually agreed solution.

Best Wishes

Gerry Price
Owner

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have moved to the area and went to the inn for the first time the other night to celebrate my birthday. We loved the menu and found it varied and interesting with a great choice of specials. The wine list is enormous and although we only opted for a house wine it did not disappoint. Despite being a monday the restaurant was quite busy but the service was friendly and attentive (it was nice to go to a restaurant where you were not either rushed or ignored!). We only booked on the day but the staff still went to the effort to put birthday decorations on the table and a candle in my dessert and the waiter even sang happy birthday! The inn certainly lived up to expectations and we are looking forward to returning. Thank you!

1  Thank lucie d
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We live nearby and wish we could go every day! It's a bit expensive but the food never disappoints. The wine selection is also very good as they have a wine shop next door.

1  Thank HulaLulaNYC
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We visited The Inn @ West End recently, after a family funeral as we needed somewhere to sit and talk, with something to eat whilst we spent some time together.
It was late morning and not yet lunchtime, seeing the Inn we pulled in in convoy and quickly made our way in as it was briskly cold that day. Despite the fact they were not yet officially serving food, the chef had arrived and they made us up a platter of sandwiches to go with lots of cups of tea. They were very accommodating of the fact two of us are vegetarian and the sandwiches were all very interesting. The staff were welcoming and made sure we had everything we needed, whilst letting us have the time and space to talk.
The atmosphere was very good, the interior was well laid out and we loved the wooden tables near the fire, which was where we headed for to warm up nicely. We will definitely be returning, a massive thankyou to all the staff for accommodating us that day, it was very much appreciated.

1  Thank Melissa A
Dinerouter01, Owner at The Inn West End, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Many thanks for this review, it shows the hospitality feelings of my wife and I carried through when neither of us were there. Thankyou!