“A brilliant wedding venue”
Review of Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Woking
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We got married at Gorse Hill last year and can't recommend the place highly enough. The food was stunning - particularly impressive given the numbers being catered for - and the grounds looked stunning - the perfect place for reception drinks and photos. Rooms were comfortable and spacious, staff were friendly and as helpful as can be.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DulwichUK
Ben B, General Manager at Gorse Hill, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear DulwichUK,

I am delighted to read your review following your wedding with us last year, we pride ourselves on delivering that special day for our bride and grooms. I hope we can welcome you back again soon for a less formal occaision maybe?

There are newer reviews for Gorse Hill

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was my second stay, the first stay was in the main building and I had an excellent room with a large bathroom. This time was in an annexe the room was in the attic area good size room and largish bathroom, standard de vere facilites. I think the room could be hot in summer and cold in winter but fine for a short stay. the staff were helpful and friendly. I stayed on a deal so could not fault for the price.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building seem nicer
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank LondonFrancesca

Dear LondonFrancesca,

Thank you for your recent review, we have a variety of bedrooms due to the nature of being an old house with additions over the years. I hope we can welcome you back again soon for stay number 3?

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our visit this month was for three days on an excellent value bed & breakfast basis. The hotel is beautifully situated and has very pleasant gardens and the staff were generally pleasant and efficient however it did not match our expectations in a few ways.
The bedroom was of a poor standard in desperate need of a makeover - it lacked warmth and comfort. The successful operation of the shower was challenging and the temperature varied considerably. As if to underline the lack of 'luxury' only two cheap plastic tumblers were provided.
Breakfast was good but 'out of date' butter appeared on our table two days running despite us lodging a complaint with the receptionist.
I guess these matters may not be important to resident conference delegates however to us ...........

Dear APHAR,

Thank you for passing on your feedback, I am pleased that overall you were pleased, although concerned to hear your feedback regarding your bedroom. As a venue with 3 different buildings our rooms vary somewhat in style and decor with the majority of our rooms having received a refurbishment in the last year.
I hope that we can welcome you back again soon?

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here one night after managing to secure a room as part of the spring sale deal. The hotel itself is in a fine location and the reception staff were welcoming.

Downsides - The restaurant was extremely noisy as a result of noise coming from the wedding disco. I understand that normally the restaurant is closed during weddings. The food however was pretty good, we had chicken pate and lamb chops and enjoyed both meals.

It seemed that the wedding party had run of the main part of the hotel with no real clear areas for hotel guests to go besides the bar area which was spoiled a bit due to sound blasting out from the disco.

The breakfast buffet was ok for value.

Dear dan20rhino,

Thank you for your recent review, I appreciate your feedback relating to the restaurant and noise from the wedding, in most cases our wedding take place in the restaurant therefore this is not normally an issue. I hope this has not deterred you from returning?

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed here on the 7th June for just the one night. The hotel is situated just outside Woking in a lovely peaceful location.
On arrival no problems parking at all , plenty of car parking spaces. On to reception , greeted by a very friendly , smiling receptionist, perfect start. Had a few drinks on the lovely outside patio facing the beautiful gardens. Spent the evening in the bar ALL the staff we encountered were friendly , helpful and polite an absolute credit to the hotel , well done .
After a fine nights sleep we were again greeted at breakfast by a friendly member of staff and had a perfect buffet style breakfast. If you ever need to stay in or around the Woking area i highly recommend Gorse Hill , you wont be disappointed .

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house , lovely rooms
1  Thank dave e

Dear Dave e,
Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will return soon?

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed here last Saturday 1st June for a friends wedding and what a little gem!!
You come out of the busy town centre of Woking into what seems like the middle of nowhere and suddenly there is a magnificent mansion house which was a lovely surprise.
Everything from the check in to check out was very good although the bed was tiny for a double but comfortable nonetheless, we had Room 20 on the second floor.
I had some food from the bar menu which was OK but maybe I made the wrong choice..........
All the staff were polite and courteous despite being very busy, we just regret not getting up in time for breakfast!!

Room Tip: If there is a Devere sale on by all means book but ring the hotel to check you haven't been give...
2  Thank Dave M
Ben B, General Manager at Gorse Hill, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear Dave M,

Delighted to read that you enjoyed staying with us recently for a friends wedding, hopefully we can welcome you back again soon?

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Well what can I say? Totally faultless!

I have stayed in many hotels in the UK both on business and pleasure over a period of 20 years and this hotel is the best one ever!

I have used many chains over the years and without doubt De Vere are the runaway leaders by a very long way. To date I have stayed at Greenwich twice and Dorking once (once before when it was owned by a different company).

Our reservation was made directly with Chloe Smith, Operations Manager at Gorse Hill.

I have included below some exerts from the emails I sent to Chloe since our 2 night stay on Friday 24th May.

'Hi Chloe, well what can we say?

We absolutely loved your hotel. The room was superb. Cannot fault anything. Clean, well presented, light and airy.

Food excellent. Service first class.

Beautiful building and setting.

Stand out members of staff were the young girl with straight hair that checked us in around 4pm on Friday.

The young girl with curly hair who waited on our table on Friday night. We sat at the table in the corner by the window.

The bar staff on Friday and Saturday night too.

And finally the young guy who I believe was called Mark who fetched us a bucket of ice in the bar on Saturday night.

I am sure that we will be returning and will ask for the same room.

I have stayed in many hotels around the UK both on business and for pleasure. Gorse Hill is certainly the best hotel I have ever stayed in only surpassed by the concierge suite I stayed in at the 5 star Disney Yacht and Beach Club, Florida.

Will soon be booking for Davenport Greenwich on **** July. I have stayed there twice before.

De Vere has 2 very loyal and extremely happy customers!'

I cannot praise this hotel enough.

Superb and a very happy weekend of which the memory of our stay will be with us forever.

Congratulations to Chloe, her staff and De Vere.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shaun C

Dear Shaun C,

Wow, what a lovely review, I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, the team and I work hard to deliver consistent quality hospitality, so its great to receive recognition to this affect. I hope we can welcome you back again soon for another great relaxing stay?
Ben Bridgeman

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woking
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Woking
#1 of 1 in Wonersh
Worplesdon Place
Worplesdon Place
#2 of 2 in Worplesdon

Been to Gorse Hill? Share your experiences!