“Fabulous staff, great food and have already recommended to family and friends!”
Review of Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Woking
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was a last minute 3 night booking due to having to travel to Surrey for unwelcome circumstances and We can honestly say it was a pleasure to stay there.
The staff across the board were ALL very pleasant, friendly and extremely helpful - without exception.
The food well what can we say ..... Breakfast was offered in abundance and great tasting. The evening meal was great AND they provided very well for our 13 month old baby who thoroughly enjoyed his freshly cooked pasta and big boy breakfasts!
The bar food was just as nice. Absolutely no complaints.
Being mid week and with baby in tow we only ventured into the bar once during the day but were well attended to.
Most importantly we, and our son, were always made to feel welcome and pampered. A cot was set up and made up on our arrival and a highchair was always offered and brought out as soon as we walked into the dining room and staff attention was never lacking!
True that it is an old building and when Snowing and freezing outside the room can be a bit chilly BUT speak up and ask for a portable heater and its there immediately - no dramas!
The only thing that we missed out on was better weather as the grounds and outdoor seating looked lovely!
Big Thank You to all at Gorse Hill - hope to return one day :-)

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Cahill-Knight-Family
Ben B, General Manager at Gorse Hill, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Cahill-Knight -Family,

Thank you so much for passing on your feedback following your recent stay with us, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and hope that we can welcome you back again soon?

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Just returned from a weekend break at Gorse Hill which we enjoyed.Hotel in a nice peaceful setting with helpful attentive staff.Dinner was good although choice a bit limited but very reasonably priced and you could chose a "Deli Option"
Staff were very helpful and eager to please,some small things were missing such as being offered to taste the wine but with training this will be rectified.
Would stay again and would recommend a room in the main building as opposed to the courtyard annexe,slightly more expensive but worth it.
The hotel had a comfortable,relaxed feel about it which I liked.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building and at the rear of the hotel would afford the best views
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear 57JonB,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure this is shared with the team and hope that we can welcome you back again soon?

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Late check in as my flight was delayed from Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. Even at 11pm the hotel staff was very helpful. He assisted me to carry my luggage up to my second floor room. As I didnt have my dinner and was rather hungry he also gave me 2 packets of crisps and two gonola bars free. There was also the free complementry glass of wine to my surprice. Breakfast was also very good. I paid under GBP70 for the room. Only complain was hotel location was a bit far from Woking town but not a big issue if you are driving. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Theres no lift facilities in hotel. If you need lower floor please request when you book hotel
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank fizal
Ben B, General Manager at Gorse Hill, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear fizal,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your views, I am pleased to hear the team looked after you so well, particularly as a late arrival. I will ensure the this is shared with the team members involved. I hope we can welcome you back again in the future?

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We held our Christmas Party at Gorse Hill in December. The dining room looked very pretty complete with christmas tree and decorations. The party menu and ambience were superb, friendly, helpful staff who were happy to make our experience the best! Complete with glowing log fire, the comfy bar was open til we sloped off to bed in the early hours! Our beautiful en-suite bedroom overlooked the extensive immaculate gardens. We had the most comfortable bed and enjoyed the best nights sleep in ages. The toaster at breakfast the following morning took forever, but other than that we give our stay, dinner and breakfast 10/10!

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the balcony!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Wernons

Dear Wernons,

Thank you for leaving such a lovely review, I am delighted to read you experienced such a good stay and party, and enjoyed the views of our beautiful gardens. I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team. I hope that we can welcome you back again soon?

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed here with my fiance and 5 month old baby on the weekend of 11th-13th Jan 2013. We asked to move rooms to be closer to the bar, as the room we were initially allocated was in a separate building. We were told that this would be possible for only the first night, but they later rearranged this so that we could stay in the room for both nights. This was the first incident of several in which the staff went out of their way to meet our wishes.

The restaurant was closed so we ate in the bar, and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. I had steak and chips. The steak was cooked in a really tasty sauce and I'd certainly say it was restaurant quality. By the time we came to order dessert, the chef had gone home (we arrived pretty late). However, the bar man went out of his way to sort something for us and went out in the kitchens himself, managing to find us some ice cream.

On the second night in the bar, there was a wedding on and so the bar was very busy. I wanted a cup of tea, but there was no hot drinks machine in the bar. However, the bar man arranged for the receptionist to bring me a cup of tea. I was feeling a bit peckish so he also went and found some biscuits for me! All in all, the staff were so friendly that I felt quite at home.

The breakfast choice was excellent, including everything that you would usually expect of a hotel breakfast. We arrived at breakfast quite late, only 15 mins before it finished, and so were expecting that some things would have run out. However, we found that the full selection was still available and the chef was careful to quickly replace anything that ran out.

Overall, I would say that the staff here were fantastic and made our stay run very smoothly. My only complaints would be that the rooms are a little small (ours had only a shower, not a bath), and there is limited parking. I'm guessing that this is not usually a problem, but as there was a wedding on the night we stayed we did have trouble finding a space.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Emma G

Dear Emma G,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that the team demonstrated some great hospitality. Its lovely to hear of such great service, we work hard to try and exceed our guests expectations. I hope we can welcome you back again soon?

Reviewed January 16, 2013

If you are looking for somewhere that is aesthetically pleasing to the eye but not far from town then this is it. I have travelled quite a lot and have stayed in back packer style accomadation, B&B, hotels and resorts. It all comes down to what sort of experience you are after.

If you want a nice environment, fantastic food and a bed to sleep in after business or sightseeing that isn't just another hotel then this is it.

My partner and I married at Gorse Hill December 8th 2012.

We loved the gardens, creating a country feel and knowing that we had the best of both worlds. Town and access to buses to heathrow or trains to london (25 min) was only a 5 minute drive.
This was perfect for our wedding as our number of guests were around fifty for the night. We were able to have the marriage ceremony and reception in the one place. It also was fantastic for domestic and international guests to be able to stay the night and have a lovely buffet breakfast included in the morning.
It was very appealing being able to have a lot of options for dietery requirements (even with a la carte for 45 guests) and that people could mingle in the lounge and bar both with fire places, or enjoy the dance floor.

So whether you are planning a wedding or would like to have somewhere to stay that has a little more character and charm then I would recommend staying a night at Gorse Hill.

My husband and I are going back for some more dinners.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TarshyA

Dear TarshyA,

Thank you for leaving such a lovely review, I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that Gorse Hill delivered your wedding to such a high standard, the team and I work hard to ensure all our guests are treated to the best hospitality throughout the property.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future?

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice now for business and i believe you'll get a better experience as well as a good night sleep at a holiday inn, premier inn, ibis or at an other similar mid budget chain hotel

On both occasions the restaurant has not been open even though it was not being used. Because of its location, you can't walk anywhere to eat so you are left with the bar.
The bar has a decent menu but the service is slow and the food is below average.

You get poor TV signal in the rooms (it says on a card next to tv that they are aware of it and are dealing with it but it's been 4 months between my stay) so you can't really watch tv.

I didn't get a good night sleep because it was too cold. They don't have a climate system in the room. Instead they have a small wall radiator which doesn't keep the room warm.

The only thing i enjoyed or i believe to be good is the breakfast.

Overall I would say its a below average hotel and don't be fooled by the location of the hotel or how it looks from the outside.

I won't be staying again.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear shabby79,

I am sorry to read of your disatisfaction following your stay with us, we are working hard to resolve the TV signal issue that we have been experiencing, and as often the case its not a quick fix, but I am confident significant progress will be made in the coming weeks! I am surprised to hear your feedback relating to the food we offer, our restaurant receives a lot of praise for the food and service.
Whilst we have had a cold spell recently as a regaulr guest in my own venue I have always found the heating and hot water to be in plentiful supply?
Whilst I appreciate your experience was not to your standard I would kindly request you give us another go, notifying me directly enabling me to ensure your stay is a much better experience.
Thanks you once again for your feedback.
Ben Bridgeman

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woking
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Woking
#2 of 2 in Worplesdon
Barnett Hill Hotel
Barnett Hill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wonersh

Been to Gorse Hill? Share your experiences!