“Attractive county hotel - slightly disappointing rooms and cold breakfast.”
Review of Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Woking
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night, booked through hotel's website for a reasonable price. Drive up to the hotel and building is very impressive and we received a warm welcome. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Slightly disappointed by the size of the room, which was very small- had to put the chair in the cupboard as not enough space for two people to get ready! Decor pleasant however. Breakfast also a disappointment, we went down at about 8am and were the only ones there, consequently hot food had clearly been sat there for a while and was cold; had to ask for it to be put in the microwave! Overall, we had a nice stay but could have been better, may stay again if could book at a reasonable price, but would probably look elsewhere first.

• Stayed: December 2012
Ben B, General Manager at Gorse Hill, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear BuonViaggo,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us, I am pleased to hear that on the whole you enjoyed your stay although concerned on some of the comments, rest assured I will investigate these with our Head Chef. We have a variety of bedrooms, with Mansion house and two separate annex buildings, all offering varying size of bedrooms.
I hope we can welcome you back again soon?

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed as part of a business meeting. Nice building, grounds, facilities for business meeting were basic but acceptable. Recently renovated room was good. Staff were friendly and helpful. The least impressive part was fodd & beverage. The bar is very small, service was confused (slow) and on the night we were there, was poorly stocked. Also at dinner the food was not quite good enough in quality & presentation. This is an attractive hotel, has real charm from its location & architecture, absolutely not a replicant chain hotel, but needs a bit more focus on quality to stand out.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Foxhill1970

Dear Michl-D,

Thanks for passing on your feedback regarding your stay with us early in January, although I am sorry to hear some of comments you raise. I have to say I am surprised to hear of your feedback relating to the food, we receive alot of praise for our fantastic brigade of chefs and pride ourselves on the quality of our buffets and dinner menu's.
I hope this has not deterred you from returning to stay with us and that we can welcome you back again soon?

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed here for one night in a superb, large room in the main house. Our room had a balcony and overlooked the beautiful gardens. Every member of staff we met was friendly and helpful. The evening meal was thoroughly enjoyable, as was the breakfast. The bacon was the nicest we have tasted for years. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel and plan to make a return trip next year.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank diamond2607
GorseHillGM, General Manager at Gorse Hill, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear Diamond 2607,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am very pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us in particular our delightful food. I will ensure this is shared with the team and hope we can welcome you back again soon?

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed here as part of a business trip. Accomodation was in the main house which was lovely. The ambience and decor was very pleasant indeed. My only complaint was the size of the room. Obviously best use of space was exercised to get as many rooms into the main house as possible, but the result was a compact but bijou room. All in all very pleasant Hotel with stunning grounds in a beautiful location.

Room Tip: The main house seems to have the better rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Jennyjcamp,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and i hope that being allocated in one of our few, slightly smaller bedrooms did not have a negative effect on your stay?

I will pass on your lovely comments regarding the mansion house to the team, as they do a great job to keep it looking its best.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future?

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed in hotel few days back , and last time stayed there in spring time . And must say it turn milions time better . I usually stay in 5 stars , but this time my one was busy so decided on gorse . Where do i start ? Food - absolutely 5 star , spoken to a chef who randomly walk by and was chating with customers , how cool is that . Never seen this before . I had a dinner there and had what chef recomended to me and it was outstanding . Very friendly , warm and welcoming place . Room , warm very clean and spacious . The manor house just great . Lots of space just for yourself . Definitelly gorse hill will be my 5 star home for next visit in the area . What a change ! Well done de vere

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Johnbmw
Ben B, General Manager at Gorse Hill, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Johnbmw,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, in particular the fantastic food our star chef is producing! He really is a credit to the venue and a big part of the work we are doing along with the rest of the team to drive Gorse Hill forward at all times.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future?

Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

I had the unfortunate experience of being booked in here for an over night stay on business this week. On my arrival the staff member was polite and first impressions were good, I had three heavy bags with me, I was directed across the courtyard and told I was in room 52. There are no lift facilities and I had to negotiate numerous flights of stairs with my bags before finding my room.
When I entered my room I found two single beds, not ideal! I expect a double at least as standard these days.

The worst part of the experience was the window, the heating was on full blast and the window wide open when I entered, I thought it was odd so I turned the heating off and went to close the window. The window would not close, the locking mechanism was broken and the holding bars broken! I called reception and a gentleman came up to have a look, after 5 mins or so he also came to the conclusion it wasn't going to close. I had to ask myself if I could move rooms. The response was "we are fully booked tonight, have you used the room"? I had already had a shower by this point, he informed me that they were still waiting on two guests to arrive so he would clean the room with the broken window up for them and move me to another room which was a considerable walk from the main hotel. I would not like to have been the people that ended up having to have that room with temperatures outside of 3 degrees.

When I came to order from the menus in the room, there were various 24 hour options, having had a long trip this seemed great, I called reception and was left waiting at the end of the phone whilst he said to a colegue we can't do the 24 hour menu can we, do you know how to make any of it? Very professional, it did eventually arrive to the room with a comment of I hope it will be ok for you, I'm no chef. The food was all cold and not ad described.
Overall a very disappointing stay.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Linzi84,

I am sorry to read of your disatisfaction following your recent stay with us. Unfortunately our delightful venue does not have a lift, although the property is only three floors throughout the different buildings. We have a mixture of room types, but very few twin rooms, I can only imagine we were fully booked on double rooms. I apologise for the problems with the window, I have instructed our Maintenance Manager to rectify this immediately.
I am somewhat surprised to hear of your feedback relating to our food, as you can see from a lot of our reports we receive a lot of praise for the food that we provide, I am sorry that on this occaision it did not match our normal high standards and should you return to stay with us, I would be happy to compensate you with dinner on me.
I hope this has not deterred you from returning and you will allow us the opportunity to prove that your experience was not reflective of our normal high standards.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Attended a wedding reception on 3rd November here. Everything about the wedding was very lovely, the sit down wedding breakfast was fantastic. Stayed overnight in the mews, no faults, comfy, and the included breakfast fantastic. Would definiately stay there again if I went to that area. Well done Gorse Hill.

Room Tip: I had a disabled mother with me in the next room, at the mews rooms 64, 65 and 66, I think we were l...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear Lesleyellen171,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us whilst attending a wedding. I am pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us in particular our delightful food. I will ensure this is shared with the team and hope we can welcome you back again soon?
Ben Bridgeman

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woking
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Woking
Premier Inn Woking Town Centre Hotel
Holiday Inn Guildford
Holiday Inn Guildford
#5 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Gorse Hill? Share your experiences!