“A surprise”

London House
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Our approach to food is simple, flavoured and modern in presentation. We are a dining experience who care about the provenance and seasonality of our produce.Sourcing quality and unusual ingredients whether it is food or drink is the London House ethos
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I drive past London House regulary, and have always wondered what it was like.

Well, the food is great, the portions are just enough but not too much, and every dish we had we couldn't fault. I had the cornish cod and my wife had the goats cheese, mains were veal and hogget, and to finish we have triffle and the treacle.

The staff were interested, attentive and provided advice and knowledge of each dish - makes a change from most places. The wine list isn't draft just more french than everything else - but we had a house melot which was rather good for £6 a glass.

But, it's a bit stark and needs a drop more character to the interior, but don't let this put you off going, support your local restuarants.

2  Thank GillyTricks

Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I have had this charming restaurant recommended to us on more than one occasion. We tried a couple of times to book a table and each time it was fully booked. That alone made us believe that it must be pretty good. When finally we made it to the London House on a Tuesday evening we were not disappointed. It has good atmosphere and there were plenty of customers there too. I tried the Veal, a first for me and can honestly say it was first class. My husband chose Fillet of Beef with Ox Cheek. It melted in your mouth and the gravy was perfect. We chose the 3 courses, unusual for us, but we wanted to try a sample of each course. Again, we weren't disappointed. This restaurant is now well and truly on our radar. The staff were charming and attentive and Ben the chef and owner ran a very good operation. We will go back.

2  Thank Rita W
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Disappointing and I!m wondering if I have been to the same restaurant looking at the other reviews here. We went as people had said it was good. We must be more discerning. No atmosphere, stark and awful art on the walls (though I appreciate art is individual taste!) Food was mediocre. Between the four of us we covered most of the menu. Sausages very average, my husband prides himself on being a sausage connoisseur and was disappointed. My beef was over cooked for my taste, dry and came with no jus but the waiter disputed that but did get some more but tasteless. My tartlet as a starter was bland. The profiteroles sauce not even warm. Service was pedestrian. Can't imagine why it was all so slow as only 9 other covers there for the whole of lunch time. No ambience at all. When we were asked at the end whether we enjoyed our meal we mentioned a couple of things but didn't want to slam the whole experience as some of the dishes were ok, our friends enjoyed their fish dishes. We were told the chef had broken his foot so I suppose that could account for some of our disappointment. Would we go again, no. Will we recommend to friends, no. Shame as we always like to find special places, there is nothing special about this place. I eat a better standard of food at home most days!

1  Thank househols
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We had a 3 course lunch last Saturday Rilettes of duck, followed by a cod main (cod cooked very nicely, overall good) and a Toulouse saucisse (sausage OK not great), then salt caramel profiteroles and cheese...the food only came to £49 which was a great price for a 3 course meal for two. The food was of a good quality, and well presented but not inspirational, however when considering the cost it was good value for money.
We had a bottle of Morgan (Beaujolais) for £28.50 which was also a reasonable price and very drinkable...would we go again? Probably not. We enjoy the restaurants closer to home in Chobham more.
Service - the waitress was very considerate and served well; however the waiter who didn't know who hadn't taken the order for the wine, assumed my husband had, so showed him the bottle and poured it for him to taste it and didn't consider that I might have ordered it (it doesn't happen often, but when it does it is guaranteed to wind me up).

1  Thank cedar29
BenPiette, Owner at London House, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear customer,

We appreciated your comments about our restaurant and thank you for posting all of those.m We are sorry and dissapointed that it was not to your liking but one thing I will say is that perhaps all the other reviews are about the dinner service and altogether a complete different menu and operation... Perhaps a bit of research on your part would have been good, we have been trying something different at lunch times and will keep on trying and will keep on working at it.

Anyhow it does not make any excuses and will not use that at all, to say thet we are mediaocre I don't agree but likle I have mentionned we are a work in progree, it is the smae placve as the other reviews but every body is different and we cannot please everyone with what we do and how we do it.

I will take all our customers comment s on board and will carry on working at it until we get it right therefore we thank you for the helping hand.

Best regards

Ben, chef owner

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Having moved here from London we were quite disappointed to find a dearth of good affordable restaurants in the area. London House was a great " find " and we had a wonderful dining experience . The restaurant is unassuming and serene in decor. It is smaller within but the tables are not crammed together and one can dine in peace and converse quite normally. Despite having 2 members of front house staff ( as it is a new and upcoming establishment ) we were not kept waiting and well attended. The wine list is not extensive but what was offered (in my opinion) was a good selection to mirror the food. We had the Winter menu of pheasant to start , followed by the Rose Veal ( exquisite and meltingly tender ) and Guinea Fowl. I would have loved more morel sauce for the Veal and perhaps the Guinea Fowl could have done with an "aniseed-y" sauce as a side. However this is in no way detracted from our gastronomic pleasure. The citrus lemon curd meringues and the blackberry and apple trifle were delightful desserts. It was so nice to have the little extras of amuse bouche , the shot of taste cleansers and the lovely chocolate truffles. ( Very reminiscent of Chez Bruce and the Glasshouse ). We certainly intend to visit again very very soon.
To Ben and all the staff, many many thanks for a delightful evening and please do continue with the great work experimenting new dishes. F.P

1  Thank 1NONLY