“A very special evening”

London House
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our approach to food is simple, flavoured and modern in presentation. We are a dining experience who care about the provenance and seasonality of our produce.Sourcing quality and unusual ingredients whether it is food or drink is the London House ethos
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I'm not sure I really want to spread the word about this wonderful little restaurant - I always want to be able to get a table! We were celebrating our wedding anniversary with our son and daughter in law and decided to give London House a go. I remember Ben from his Professional Masterchef appearances and was really looking forward to it. We were not disappointed. A warm friendly welcome from the lovely staff immediately put us at our ease. Decent sized table sensibly spaced. A wonderful seasonal, short menu. Fixed pricing at it's very best - competitively priced and all combinations covered and no hidden surprises. Lovely wine list - again very reasonble. Had a lovely bottle of Fleurie which complemented everyone's main courses. My husband and son discovered a Moroccan beer they had never tried! And then the food. Well, I cannot praise this high enough. Beautiful presentation, top notch ingredients served with flair and imagination. The rabbit burger was devine, scallops beautifully coooked. 3 of the party had the fillet steak which was melt in the mouth tender and I had the Moroccan lamb which was fab. It was served with a really fiery chilli dipping sauce which really hit the spot! Puds were spot on as well. A previous reviewer had been a little disappointed with the ambience but we found it warm and buzzy. Ben is introducing his autumn menu shortly - will be booking a table for that asap.

2  Thank MarianW123

Reviewed September 16, 2012

We regularly visit the london house and we always come away thinking what a wonderful
evening we have had. Lornette is delightful and all the staff so friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Ben does wonderful magic in the kitchen and I have never had food look and taste
so good. Time and time again it is 5 star. We are very lucky to have this wonderful restaurant
on our doorstep.

1  Thank kim p
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Although open for 18 months we had only recently been recommended to it.It lived up to the billing and exceeded our expectations.Minimalist decor,34 covers and plenty of space between tables for privacy but stiill had a cosy feel.Full on a Wednesday,no round tables but set up a King table for us which is ideal for 6.Small menu,which changes each season, but good and unusual choice.Prix fixe £26 for 2 courses was excellent value for great quality food.Good basic wine list,around £25 for a decent bottle.Fine wines also available at finer prices.Service excellent even though a staff absentee this night.A welcome new addition in this area at sensible prices.French chef owner who is charming and informative on food and wines.Definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank michael g
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Excellent food and service at sensible prices. Very good wine list. Already popular with locals who know their food.

1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Quite how this restaurant has escaped my attention so close to home is beyond me, found by Tripadvisor reviews alone!

If you don't want to read the full review, just note that this is quite simply the best food I've had in the UK both in terms of taste and presentation - it's all you need to know.

The menu is relatively compact, but some delicious and unexpected combinations means it will take at least 3 visits for me to try all the dishes I liked the sound of.

I went for the full 4 course menu, starter, fish, main and dessert.

My starter of tien of lobster, with a watercress soup was exquisite, the lobster meat firm and tasty, to follow I had trout - cooked to perfection, crispy skin and moist meat on top of very fresh mange tout.

We then took a break of 30 minutes or so before our main courses - the table was ours for the evening, so we were in no hurry.

When we asked for our main dishes to be served, my steak was cooked as requested and perfectly seasoned (fillet can often be quite bland), whilst the black pudding wasn't to my normal taste - it set the dish off perfectly.

My dessert - a praline tart, with caramelised bananas was again fantastic and not too sickly.

My wives choices were reported as being equally delicious (although I wasn't allowed to try any of them!).

Before, during and after the meal there are some nice touches - a little appetiser just after ordering, a palette cleanser just after the main course and handmade chocolates with the bill

In addition to the food there is a nice looking wine list as well as a wine tasting "flight" to match the courses. There is also a very nice champagne (I had a glass) available for < £40 a bottle - exceptional value.

The staff were friendly, knowledgable about the food and not at all intrusive. The restaurant is quite noisy when full, but that aside - the perfect restaurant.

Having recently eaten at the Maze in London - this fantastic restaurant has perfectly comparible service and food.

Located around 5 minutes cab ride from Woking station or 10 minutes from Guildford station, there is no reason not to visit from further afield.

I am looking forward to an excuse to return.

1  Thank KrisSurrey