“Under new management? Standards have slipped”
Review of L'Aroma

L'Aroma
Ranked #11 of 209 Restaurants in Woking
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: NEW OPENING HOURS: MON/THU 12pm-2.30pm 5pm-10pm FRI/SAT 12pm till 10pm SUN and BHOLIDAYS Closed .Located 200yards from the woking mainline station and 5 min walk to victoria theatre, l'aroma is the right venue for you to chooseall our food is freshly made to order and fresh fish menu is also available as well as our extended a' la carte menu we also cater for large groups and business venues2 courses lunch time menu also available if you are in hurry to go bach to work
Woking, United Kingdom
“Under new management? Standards have slipped”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We used to love this place. My boyfriend claims that L'aroma is the only place that does bruschetta properly. We were always served by the same waiter, who was lovely and very attentive. But we went at the end of July and something has changed, we suspect that the restaurant may be under new management.

ATMOSPHERE
We like to sit in the back of the restaurant and, as it happens, those tables sit below a speaker. During our last visit, they began playing the most awful music from the 70s. Not restful, not what I want to listen to while I eat. It was blaring and abrasive, and another couple a few tables away also expressed their displeasure to us - 'It's it awful?!' We considered leaving before we'd even ordered but instead my boyfriend asked them to turn it off. They agreed to turn it down, but when our waitress came over she said 'You are right bellow the speaker, do you want to move?' Surely the music shouldn't be off-putting no matter where one sits in the restaurant.

Anyway, bad start to the meal.

FOOD
I don't remember what I had for a starter - enough said. My boyfriend had the bruschetta, as he always does, and he commented that the tomatoes didn't taste the same. He wonders if they've changed suppliers too.

I ordered the lasagne for main, which I have to say was disgusting. I would reiterate that we have had nice meals here before, so I'm sad writing this but I just don't know what's happened. Regards my lasagne, the pasta was so soft that I could mash it against the side of my plate like mashed potato. Not good. I ate two mouthfuls and it was just like biting through a flavourless mass with no texture. I suspect it has been pre-cooked and reheated in the microwave. It didn't make for pleasant eating and we didn't stay for dessert.

SERVICE
In all fairness, when I sent back the lasagne the staff were very apologetic and attentive. I had a pizza instead. I would mention that when we ordered some water with our meal, as we always do because my partner is teetotal, our waitress said 'Aaaawww, you don't want any wine?', 'No', 'Awww, okay.' I don't mind being up-sold to but this was weird and slightly patronising.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Great flavours and gluten free pasta available”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I came here with friends for a catch-up dinner.
Found parking right outside the restaurant which was free in the evening- excellent start!
The service was attentive throughout the meal, except for right at the end when we were trying to get the bill but we weren't too bothered.
I cannot eat wheat so I was pleasantly surprised to find that the restaurant had gluten free pasta and would do any pasta sauce on the menu for me. I had a seafoody sauce which was really well balanced and seasoned. And the gluten free pasta was a good one and cooked al dente (quite difficult to do!). My friends were very happy with their dishes as well.
For dessert I had zabaglione which is unusual to find in the average Italian restaurant in my area. It was smooth and tasty.

• Visited June 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Italian”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Following Woking theatre matinee a lovely relaxing meal. Outside is deceptive, inside is warm and welcoming. Food lovely and very well presented.

Woking, United Kingdom
“Good meal and good service”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Always good food and when we went they had a great value early bird menu which was under ten pounds for a starter and a decent sized pizza or other main course. Best Italian in Woking.

• Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Best Food & Services”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Loved the atmosphere, the food was superb, I had seafood plus lovely dessert, we both loved, defo best restaurant I ever been in surrey! I will defo get back alongside all my family - Thanks for being there!