“Best carvery in the area, young staff need proper training in customer service.”

The Grasshopper Inn Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 37 Restaurants in Westerham
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Post code TN16 2EUTelephone : 01959 563136Fax : 01959 564823E Maile : info@grasshopperinn.co.uk
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We have been visiting the Grasshopper on and off for the last 13 years and can honestly say that we have never been disappointed with the food we have eaten. We only ever visit for the carvery and after a couple of years without eating there we decided to give it a go and see if it was still as good as we remember. It's always been a lovely pub to visit when you don't fancy cooking a roast yourself and it has always provided better fare than some rubbery reheated roasts in various Surrey pubs. We were pleased to find that the roast is just as good, if not even better than before. However...the staff are the issue or more to the point the younger, inexperienced staff. Everyone makes mistakes but after visiting 2 weekends in a row it has become clear that the management need to invest in training their younger staff who forget drinks orders, don't understand what you have asked for in terms of brands of drink, remove plates but forget to bring desert menus, sugar, spoons and so on. I have heard other customers complaining about similar issues and it's a real shame. Younger staff need to be taught to use more initiative by those older and more experienced. It gets really busy in there but waiting for ages for a simple order of drinks gets tedious. Employ the young but show them how to do the job properly!

2  Thank cle0uk

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was looking forward to visiting the Grasshopper Inn Restaurant as it had been a very long time since we had last visited. We used to visit on a fairly regular basis even attending for Christmas Day luncheons and the carvery was held at that time in a beautiful large dining hall and the food was always of a decent quality. The Tudor buildings that make up the Grasshopper are attractive and when we arrived it was great to see them still looking fabulous as ever. We have also had a roast dinner too in the bar area in the past which was fine at that time too.
Sadly though this time our dining experience left a lot to be desired, the carvery is no longer in the large dining room but in the same building where the bar is located, the restaurant part we visited on this occasion was ok but lacked any impact, we had not made a booking as had phoned them prior to our visit to make a reservation and was told by a male member of staff that it was not necessary and although not rude they gave me the impression that they were really busy and that we were lucky at being able to be fitted in to dine, this clearly was not the case as the restaurant did'nt seemed full at all during our visit. We were shown to our table and then forgotten about, caught a surly lady member of staffs attention and told them that we wished to have the carvery. Had to ask a member of staff where to go for the carvery and once located the carvery looked delicious and we had a choice of meats and vegetables.
Our meals were fine but the atmosphere and great customer service seemed lacking on this visit. Maybe we were unlucky when we visited but to be honest I don't feel any inclination to revisit again in a hurry........... a real shame as I used to enjoy our visits there.

2  Thank Flicks12
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I eat out a lot and we used to go to the Grasshopper over 30 years ago. Having moved back into the area we thought we would revisit. The carvery seemed like the best option and so we went up and had our meet carved by the kind chef and helped ourselves to vegetables.

A young friendly waiter came up and took a drinks order and all seemed lovely. That was until we witnessed the belittling of a man like I have never seen in 45 years of dining out. The man who carved our meet had not taken a piece of paper for us and was subjected to a torrent of abuse for the smallest of errors. I actually presumed our waiter was the manager as he had a tie on but was informed that the lady who had been into the room shouting was in fact the manager. It was disbelief amongst us all in the room. We left him a kind tip as we felt partially to blame but it put us of our meal completely.

Everyone has their own idea on how to run a business but if that is yours then I and my friends and family will certainly not be returning. Although the waiter did apologise you could see on his face that HE felt uncomfortable aswell and although he did explain that the system was new and the manager could have been stressed I would not expect that kind of thing to happen in staff quarters, let alone in a restaurant environment

2  Thank Derek J
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Never before have I felt so at home in a pub. I'm supposed to be working from home but after dropping the kids off at school decided on a change of scenery. I am sitting in here now and this is just what a pub should be. There are two chaps playing backgammon next to the fire, a couple of walkers opposite them enjoying a hot chocolate with a cute little dog, The barman is joking with a couple who are paying their bill and the smell of a particular dish filling the room, I'm told it's wood pigeon with a chocolate and red wine sauce? Smells delicious. I've only had a 'posh fish finger' sandwich this afternoon (which was great) but I will definitely be back. This is exactly the sort of place where I could waste a day enjoying the world go by.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We live not more than 5 minutes from the Grasshopper so it's the obvious choice when you don't want to cook. We have being going on and off for a few years and the meat was good but the veg let it down badly so last week beginning feb 2013 we thought we would give them another chance. Food was lovely, lots of variety attentive staff. Because it was so good we went back!!! this week we had our carvery meal, again the meat was lovely and plenty choice of veg, our drinks were late coming but we did get them, then we sat.....and we sat....etc I finally go up to find someone and asked her for a dessert menu, and we sat....and we sat....then I said enough lets go. We got to the bar to pay our bill, they were unsure what table we were at although I told them several times. Just outside the door my husband said that was expensive, on checking the bill it was evident that we had paid the wrong bill (double). Although we were told they were sorry, \I felt that the least they could do was offer to pay for our drinks (1 coke and 1 shandy). We will not go again.

1  Thank JJQ1965