“Great delicious food!”

Dining options: Reservations
Oxted, United Kingdom
“Great delicious food!”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We chose the restaurant for dinner but didn't stay at the hotel, we were only after dinner not wanting to cook on a Friday night and the pub opposite the road looked like it was full of drunk people. You can choose whether you want to dine in the bar (left side) or the restaurant (right), we were after something a bit more filling so chose the restaurant. We were seated straight away and the service was friendly, the waitress came back quickly to take our orders which was good. I ordered the Deep fried Haloumi for starters which was lovely with a nice zesty salad and for mains I ordered the Pork belly with mash and greens and my partner ordered the chicken fajitas, both were very delicious and made our tummies very full and satisfied. I would definitely recommend the restaurant to family & friends in future and we will definitely be back!

London, United Kingdom
“very disappointing food... :-(”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

just had lunch in this place so didn't stay in the hotel. We visit Westerham throughout the year and have been meaning to try the place out for a while so thought we would give it a go. I've been to the bar before and that was quite nice, but never tried the food until today. I tried calling to make a reservation and each time I called nobody answered so I left a message and never got a call back. We went down anyway and there was a table available ... actually there were loads available which was a bit of a bad sign as you would think during a Sunday lunch service the place in the centre of Westerham would be packed. The girls serving were very polite and were probably the most pleasant part of the experience. Anyhow, we ordered starter and mains, then found out the starter was off, so opted for BBQ chicken wings to start. This was basically deep fried overcooked wings with some cheap BBQ dip, edible but only just. Then my wife and daughter had Turkey roast dinner. Veg was soggy, potatoes were overcooked, stuffing was solid as a rock and the Yorkshire pudding was soggy and reheated. The Turkey was OK but apart from that it was worse than average. My dish was just awful. I ordered a burger and asked to have salad instead of chips and asked for coleslaw instead of ketchup and Mayo. I was given a tiny ramekin of coleslaw and told I would be charged extra. The burger was soggy and I wasn't even asked how I wanted it cooked. The worst thing about it was the salad. It had brown edges and limp with soggy cucumber and soggy red onion which must have been chopped a few days before. It really put me off the whole dish and now I have a rather bad stomach ache! I wish I had never bothered to be honest. I did mention this and was given one of my drinks free of charge which was nice but I wish I had not bothered trying the place out.
This review is not of the hotel as I've never stayed overnight.
Not much else to say apart from I"ll never ever eat here again unless they make some drastic improvements.

Orpington
“Tasty, good value food”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Had dinner here on a Friday night, when there was a special offer of around £10.50 for two main courses. Food was really delicious and excellent value.

Really nicely decorated and furnished bar area to eat in. Was let down slightly by tables that hadn't been cleaned, and the atmosphere was a bit lacking and would have been so improved by some background music. Would have rated higher with these small improvements as then it would have been just about perfect. Nevertheless, a lovely meal.

Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“Alright - but nothing special”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stopped off in this lovely little town and decided to try The King’s Arms for lunch.

We were taken to a nice quiet room at the side, which had shelves full of old books lining the walls. It was good to have this option, as the main dining area was quite busy.

I had the jacket potato with cheese and beans, which was good, but they were quite stingy with the cheese and beans. Bakes beans really aren’t that expensive, so it always annoys me when you’re left with lots of potato and no topping to go with it. A bit of coleslaw on the side would have been a nice touch too.

My partner had the chicken burger, which was incredibly dry – he had to smother it in mayonnaise, though he said it tasted good once he’d done this. But to serve it without any sauce whatsoever seems a bit strange (there was a tomato salsa but you would have expected some sort of salad cream or something).

Service was fine – the waiter was obviously young and learning the ropes. But anyway this is just somewhere to stop off for a bite to eat. I wouldn’t come here for dinner, though.

• Visited January 2014
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Disappointing food”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I read some of the hotel reviews before deciding on coming here for lunch and although they were negative I felt that they probably related more to the hotel than the restaurant as I'd been a few years ago and had had a nice bar meal. The location was the perfect half way point for myself and some good friends.

I was pleasantly surprised by the refurbishment that had taken place since my last visit - the bar area really is lovely and we chose a raised seating area that felt quirky and cosy at the same time. The menu was quite extensive but we decided to choose the tapas option which included whitebait, haloumi and peppers, hoisin duck wraps and sausages. The whitebait were far bigger than I've ever seen and the oily flavour was unpleasant, there was no evidence of hoisin with the duck and the salad that had been put under most of the dishes was inedible, brown at the edges and limp. Out of all the dishes the prawns and the sausages were the best and we did let the barman know that we were unhappy with some of the dishes which he did relay to the chef. The chef said he would be taking the salad off the menu but we couldn't understand why it was served in the first place - surely whoever put it on the plate could clearly see it was past its best?

The barman worked really hard and seemed to be the only member of staff there, serving at the bar, waiting the tables and making teas and coffees - as a result service was slow.

I was so disappointed that the food did not live up to the fantastic new interior and what could be an absolute goldmine is being wasted.

My friends and I often meet in Westerham but I don't think we will be returning here when there are so many other top class restaurants in the town.

• Visited November 2013