“Excellent”

Ranked #3 of 7 Westerham B&B and Inns
Kenley, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We checked in to escape the chaos of a rewire of our home and are so pleased we chose to stay here. We needed to be fairly close to home and weren't attracted to anywhere nearer, put off by bad reviews. The Grasshopper Inn drew our attention and at 10 miles distant it was convenient. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome. Two roaring fires and candles in the comfy bar, lovely staff, generous helpings of well prepared food served without a long wait and good beer, with charming staff , this was the perfect ambience for us to relax in and make the most of our break. The coffee prepared for us by Sam at breakfast was out of this world. Comfy chairs and sofas and old books to browse, just the thing in this blustery weather. Our recently decorated spacious en suite room was spotless, with a beautifully luxurious bed. This old coaching inn with its friendly welcome is a far cry from the reputation it had many years ago. We are so pleased we chose this place and will definitely be back, for family lunches and for a local getaway for ourselves!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed January 30, 2014

The good: the hotel looks lovely from the outside - and what I saw of the main building ie. the bar/restaurant area full of character and charm. The staff were also professional and helpful.

The bad: the Internet is painfully slow (albeit free) - unsuitable for business purposes.

The downright ugly: as to the Cottage room I stayed in - which is in an external building in the car-park - the room is reasonably equipped - with a great shower - but the bed is appalling - you can feel the springs in the mattress and they're noisy when you turn over. It reminded me of the cheapo beds I last slept in when I was a poor student! Definitely not worth the 85 GBP price tag.

I was promised that someone from the management team would ring me to apologise - I'm still waiting.

On a final more positive note - the cooked breakfast was really nice - but it would have been nice for service to have started before 8am!

Room Tip: Don't sleep in the Cottage room! Also recommend a room away from the road which is quite busy an...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The hotel itself looks nice from the outside. I stayed in the Cottage. I have to say I was very lucky I phoned before I showed up as I drove down from Birmingham after work and wasn't arriving until after midnight. Little did I know when they shut the pub at 11:00 the hotel closes as well. Luckily, I arranged it to call the manager when I was within 5 minutes. Never been at a hotel where they didn't have 24 hour staff for check in so be warned if showing up late.

I stayed in a room called the Cottage. The rooms are all separate building with two rooms per building it looks like. The room itself is ok but the interior design needs some work. Excellent shower though but the bed is dreadful. You can feel the springs and they making creaking noises when you move during the night. The ironing board is ridiculously small as well which is annoying as it made it difficult to iron my clothes for a business meeting. The ironing boards are the same through out the hotel.

I have to say I found the staff to be quite friendly and helpful at the hotel and restaurant.

I reviewed the restaurant as well which gets a far better rating. The hotel thought just has a few too many issues to get more than two stars unfortunately.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Cottage room. The bed is terrible. I can't speak for the other rooms but...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank james W
Oxted, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here for New Years Eve bash which was excellent. From the moment we arrived we checked straight into the Cleves Room. Pictures on the website do not do the room justice. It was a large family room, beds were very comfortable and the Power shower in the morning was perfect to get rid of my new year hangover. I enjoyed the vegetarian option off the set menu.
Afterwards, we had a fab evening with a casino and DJ. Nothing was too much bother for them. I will look forward to staying here again in the future. Well done to all for a fantastic celebration to bring in 2014

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TK922014
West Malling, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My son and his new bride held their Wedding at the Grasshopper In on 30th November, 2013. What a wonderful venue it was. The whole place was lit up with Christmas decorations which added to the ambiance of the wedding.
The food was very good and the service at all times was excellent.
The whole family stayed at the Inn that night and I was amazed how very modern the room we had was. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and the bathroom was stunning.
Well done The Grasshopper Inn for making a special day even more special.
The Butler Family

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Babiface
Westcliff-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We stayed for one night only on a visit to Kent.We were a bit apprehensive having read some of the negative and poor reviews on T.A.We were however more than pleased with our stay.
We had a very good and reasonably priced meal in the evening and the breakfast was also ample and again very nice indeed.
Our room was The Seymour at the rear and inside the main building and it was perfect.
Staff were very welcoming and helpful at all times
The location was excellent for us and the internal Tudor decor was beautiful .The only down side we have to say with the stay were the bar prices which we thought were quite expensive.
Even so we really enjoyed our stay and would recommend and certainly stay again.

Room Tip: We went for The Seymour a room at the rear of the main building rather than at the front facing the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kent
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My daughter arranged for her ceremony and reception to be held at the Grasshopper. We had a few changes of management during the period between our initial booking and the wedding day but the function team did a great job managing the transition and ensured the day went smoothly.

The setting and rooms are fantastic, specialist diets were catered for and the wedding breakfast was lovely with dishes both tasty, hot and well presented. In the evening the buffet was also well maintained by the staff with fresh dishes being brought out over the course of the night.

The Inn provides the perfect setting for a wedding with quiet areas for people to relax whilst others can dance the night away.

Our family spent a comfortable night in a variety of rooms and enjoyed a decent breakfast the following day.

All in all a great experience and great value.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westerham
Best Western Plus Donnington Manor Hotel
Days Inn Sevenoaks Clacket Lane
Best Western Plus Hever Hotel
Lingfield Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
De Vere Selsdon Estate
De Vere Selsdon Estate
#18 of 24 in Croydon

Been to Grasshopper Inn? Share your experiences!