“A pleasant local restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Rendezvous

Rendezvous
Ranked #10 of 35 Restaurants in Westerham
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Reigate, United Kingdom
“A pleasant local restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

We ate at the Rendezvous on Sunday, having stopped in Westerham on the way back from visiting Chartwell. The fixed price menu looked very good both in terms of price and food. I did look at the main menu and though the choices looked nice, I don’t like the habit of charging extra for vegetables (in this case £3 for potatoes and a further £3.50 for veg).

We didn’t have any starters but did notice that starters being delivered to other tables looked very appetizing. Our main courses were flavoursome and well cooked. My husband’s dessert was lovely but mine was very disappointing. The tropical fruit salad turned out to be tinned, something I simply would not expect in this type of restaurant in this day and age.

The permanent waiting staff were courteous and efficient, but I felt the Sunday help (school girls I suspect) could be better versed at customer service. Any remark or request by us, including requesting the bill was responded to with a “no problem”. Well I certainly hope there wouldn’t be a problem.

• Visited March 2014

Kingsdown
“good service and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Took a punt on this brasserie after reading the reviews. Yes we had a 7:30 reservation so were before the crowd. My partner had the rissotto to start which is very generous, so I had to assist finishing. Good texture and moisture so worth selecting. For main course we both had steak. Meat was good quality, cooked to order and enjoyable. Restaurant filled up during our dinner, so the two waitresses seemed rushed of their feet. So an early dinner wasa smart move. Wine list is reasonable, prices as expected. A good meal, not hurried but perfectly timed. Then across the road for coffee.

• Visited February 2014
Bromley, United Kingdom
“a country restaurant worht the few extra miles of travel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

have been coming to the rendezvous for many years as a couple and with the family. The cusine is consistently good and the service very polite and helpful. Contrasted with other restaurants we frequent, it is really good value.

jeffery family

• Visited January 2014
Westerham, United Kingdom
“Has the Rendezvous (with new Bistro) got the potential to regain its past glory?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Having known the Rendezvous for over 20 years (and I'll now publicly take full credit for it not being burnt to the ground ~15 years ago seeing as I was never even thanked for my swift actions! (Scroll down to see the story!)

Last time Himself and me dined here was about 5 years ago. We took out the Boss and her other half to impress (and we've been saving up to go again ever since). So, as the Rendezvous has now opened a fantastically cheap Bistro side, we thought we'd use our saved pennies to give it a a try with the (teenage) kids on board (yeah, no babysitters!).

Food: excellent, great proportions, really well cooked, really good choice, fantastic value.
Drinks : Best priced in town. Went for top priced red (£14:00) smooth, French and downed!
Service : Efficiently cool, waitress' only - no Maitre d' to be seen which is surely why the Rendezvous is empty night after night having been used to be full every night?!

Conclusion:
It really is just gagging for a bit of the personal touch again to get back to their old glory days when you had to be prepared to wait for a table and wouldn't dare to not book if you were more than 2 pple?!! Value for money NOW!!!! on the Bistro side is excellent and the teenagers can't believe it was and is always so empty - if you don't mind an empty restaurant but want great food at really knock-down price this is the place!!

...The downside is that there is a really sad lacking of ambience and atmosphere - that the Rendezvous used to exude!.

There was our table of 4, and anothers' table of 2, whilst we dined from 7 - 8:30pm.

Our coats weren't offered to be taken (so let's stuff them onto the back of chairs shall we - not the sort of thing that would impress the Boss and her spouse..) and I had to wait for one waitress to finish her funny convo with the other waitress) in order to ask for the bill.

Maitre D' take note.. bad management, bad returns (don't despair! There are other badly managed eateries in Westerham.. but they are also empty!!

Having said that, the service was good, non-invasive and efficient - just not the warmth you would get from Chow's, San Bas or Tulsi. You need to have the owners around to generate the warmth and get the punters to return and we all know this but ...?

Burning Down Story!
The Story!
The chef nipped down to the basement to grab some provisions, unfortunately having left a pan of fat a'smokin'. Being of an elfin-safety nature I spotted the potential, raised the alarm to the really sensible (female) manager (who promptly shut the chef into the then kitchen that really was no more than a cupboard) whilst shouting to him to "faites attention!"

I took the decision to evacuate the restaurant of customers and then strongly encouraged the chef out and fast..she merely continued to berate him in both French and English for everyone who was huddling outside's benefit... in those days you could only be French to work there..anyway back to my review..

• Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Jane E - 28th December 2013. Lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

An appauling experience of poor service. We were in the Bistro section and I had to go and attract attention - then we waited an unreasonable time to get our drinks which were incorrect followed by a looooog wait for our food - 2 fishcake dishes and a lasagne.
When the food finally came it was good.
When I complained to the Manager he became very unpleasant.
This restaurant is off my books.

• Visited December 2013