“Awful”

Campanile Runcorn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Runcorn
“Awful”
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Booked here last minute visiting family, trying to find our room walking up dirty concrete steps something out of a horror film! I instantly felt unsafe walking next to people hanging outside our room, music blaring, walked in our room and wanted to leave (but had nowhere else to go). Bed was comfy that's about i..paid £90 for two nights not including breakfast! Feel completely ripped off for the hell hole we stayed in! would never stay here again! only upside is that there's a pub next door and next to the train station! x ps: staff could try smiling x

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Jodenalex
Sonia B, General Manager at Campanile Runcorn, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Jodenalex,

I was really sorry to read of your disappointment following your stay with us and I am especially sorry not to have known of the elements of disappointment during your time with us. It really matters to me that my guests have a comfortable night’s sleep and I cannot stress enough the importance of guest safety in our hotel.
A member of the team is all the time available and in each room you have a phone number in order to contact him if you do have an issue. Also, the hotel is covered with CCTV. Thank you again for your feedback and once again please accept my apologies.

Sonia.B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2014

The hotel was visibly lacking a coat of exterior paint,deco was shabby and indoors was exactly the same,very dirty looking,dated and very enclosed,window barely opens and very Hot in the room with no air con,but the price at £29 p room you can't beat in this very busy area,plenty of car park facility ,with food available and breakfast,although not the best we have sampled,beer was flat and very costly

Room Tip: bring sleeping tabs very noisy
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Caron R
Dear Caron R,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us, I am sorry to read that you were not completely satisfied with your stay with us and for this please accept my apologies. I was surprised by your comments regarding the breakfast as this is not indicative of the usual feedback we receive from Tripadvisor reviewers. The hotel prides itself on delivering quality in all areas of service. On this occasion I am sorry that the breakfast did not meet your expectations.
Once again, please accept my apologies.

Sonia.B

Travelers are raving about these Runcorn hotels

Brechin, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We checked in on Saturday 5/July/2014 , and directed to our room on the first floor , I asked if there was any ground floor rooms as I can find stairs difficult at times and was informed that they didn't as they were full , I accept that was my own fault as I should have requested this when booking .
On reaching the room we found that there was only one towel , I went to reception and informed them that there was only one towel the receptionist told me they had just finished drying them and would get some more , as he was telling me this a girl (Rosie) shouted from the other end of the bar " have you checked the wardrobe" I replied yes she then shouted again "yes but have you looked in the wardrobe" , the other receptionist then gave me ONE more towel , I would suggest Rosie needs a course in customer relations .
As we had just driven over 300 miles we had a nap and later started to get ready to go to a family reunion.
That is when we noticed more problems - the riser rail on the shower was broken so couldn't be used which didn't matter as it was then I noticed the tiles where filthy and obviously hadn't been cleaned in some time so I wouldn't be using the shower anyway . Oh well I thought , I would just get a good wash down using the basin - What a joke ,whoever fitted the tap was useless , the angle of the tap meant most of the water went straight down the overflow . A sign in the bathroom asked people to conserve water ? .
We had earlier been told they were full so requesting a room change was useless , had we noticed the problems earlier we would have tried to find another hotel .At least the bed was clean and comfortable . And maybe a little money spent on decorating would not go amiss .
Our first and last stay at a Campanile . NEVER AGAIN .

Room Tip: Goto another hotel .
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Keith L
Sonia B, General Manager at Campanile Runcorn, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Keith L,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was not what you expected.

I will certainly share your feedback directly with the Front office team for immediate consideration.
What you have outlined does not reflect the training given to our team or the level of service they are trained to extend. I will need to look further into these matters.

Once again thank you for your constructive feedback which enables us monitor and improve our service.

leicester
Reviewed June 22, 2014

A one night stay was quite enjoyable. Staff in reception friendly and helpful. Room clean and more than adequate for a one night stay. Situation acceptable and convenient for an evenings entertainment in Widnes. Ok, the first impressions don't bode well. Looking tired and well worn with need of ' brightening up' . Breakfast ok and sufficient to put you on. Overall good value for money for a one nighter. Would think twice before booking for anything longer.

Room Tip: Rooms on front give view of reception and car park. No picture postcard setting that's for sure.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank elloello
Sonia B, General Manager at Campanile Runcorn, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Elloello,

Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to share with us your feedback.
I am glad that you found the location suitable for you and that you enjoyed the breakfast.
It was also great to hear that you found the room to be comfortable and the team helpful.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Stayed last night as in the area for cricket. All I can say is at least it was clean. Heard everything from adjoining rooms and outside. Bath was half size so glad I'm small!
All I will say is you get what you pay for.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Sonia B, General Manager at Campanile Runcorn, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear IanWarne_12,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.
I am sorry to learn of the noise disruption you experienced during your stay. It really matters to me that my guests have a comfortable night’s sleep. A member of the team is all the time available and in each rooms you have a phone number in order to contact him if you do have an issue. Still, despite these measures we cannot always prevent the noise.
However I am glad you appreciated the cleanness of the room.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2014

This is a low budget hotel which I believe, and I'm certain the staff would agree, is overdue a refurbishment. The location is handy for Runcorn station, which is currently a main line station for the capital. I would not recommend this place for elderly or for families, but it is definitely a favourite for workmen and commuters.
A family member was booked to stay but didn't feel safe, so didn't end up staying. However our issues have been dealt with admirably and due credit to the manager, Sonia for that. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Sonia B, General Manager at Campanile Runcorn, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Mark G,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not reach your expectations. I cannot stress enough the importance of guest safety in our hotel. I can assure you that we have never had an issue with guest safety. A member of the team is all the time available and in each rooms you have a phone number in order to contact him. Also, the hotel is covered with CCTV. However I am glad we have found an appropriate solution.

Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Before I launch into this review I should say that I stayed at the Campanile at Fenny Stratford, near Milton Keynes a few days ago and it was excellent in every way.

So, imagine my shock when I arrived at the Campanile at Runcorn after a very long day and drive to find a complete disaster!

The location is not good next to the railway station and near busy, noisy roads but I suppose you cannot blame Campanile for that, or can you???

As soon as you pull into the car park in daylight you can see how run down the whole place is. The exterior paintwork is peeling and in some areas and in others is virtually non existent.

You check in at the bar and are sent over to your room in the accommodation block (I am sure many UK prison blocks are more pleasant than this place).

Externally:
>All the corridors and stairs are open to the elements.
>There is no lift and I have a very severe spinal problem and had to clamber up to the top floor with a very heavy case as I am travelling in the UK for a month.

Inside the room:
>As soon as you walked in the smell was terrible.
>The decoration of the room was in a very poor state and the room was dirty.
>There was a TV which I could not get to work until I discovered it was not plugged in to the only socket in the room. When I did get TV on, navigating the channels was so slow and there was no channel list, asked reception who did not have a clue. Eventually arrived at BBC News which was not where it usually is on Freeview ie Channel 80.
>As there was only one socket where do they expect you to plug in your lap top to work as I needed to OR phone charger etc?
>Horrible chair at desk.
>Plugs etc. get jammed down back of desk which is fixed.
>Bathroom terrible, badly damaged bath with side panel not properly in place.
>Advertise free wifi but that was unusable.

Anyway, even one night there would be unbearable so I found another hotel and moved. However, I was to stay there for 8 nights so they lost a lot of business.

If Campanile choose to keep this place open then I would close and completely refit the place before reopening.

Room Tip: I doubt there are any good rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Sonia B, General Manager at Campanile Runcorn, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear Mike11232014,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor,
I want our customers to have a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us, so I am really sorry to learn of your disappointing experience. I expect our rooms to be warm and comfortable. I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not reach your expectations.
I am also sorry to hear of your difficulty in climbing the stairs, however, if you had made us aware of this we would have provided you with ground floor accommodation on arrival. We were troubled to hear that you had difficulty accessing our wireless network, we have contacted our wireless provider to resolve the issue. We were sorry to hear about the problems you had with the plugs, if you need more we are happy to provide you with complementary extension outlets.

Once again I do apologise.

Best regards,
Sonia.B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runcorn
Holiday Inn Runcorn
Best Western Forest Hills Hotel
The Old Hall Hotel
The Old Hall Hotel
#2 of 3 in Frodsham

Been to Campanile Runcorn? Share your experiences!