“Issues dealt with by a manager who clearly cares about their guests”
Review of Campanile Runcorn

Campanile Runcorn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Runcorn
Reviewed June 6, 2014

This is a low budget hotel which I believe, and I'm certain the staff would agree, is overdue a refurbishment. The location is handy for Runcorn station, which is currently a main line station for the capital. I would not recommend this place for elderly or for families, but it is definitely a favourite for workmen and commuters.
A family member was booked to stay but didn't feel safe, so didn't end up staying. However our issues have been dealt with admirably and due credit to the manager, Sonia for that. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Sonia B, General Manager at Campanile Runcorn, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear Mark G,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not reach your expectations. I cannot stress enough the importance of guest safety in our hotel. I can assure you that we have never had an issue with guest safety. A member of the team is all the time available and in each rooms you have a phone number in order to contact him. Also, the hotel is covered with CCTV. However I am glad we have found an appropriate solution.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Before I launch into this review I should say that I stayed at the Campanile at Fenny Stratford, near Milton Keynes a few days ago and it was excellent in every way.

So, imagine my shock when I arrived at the Campanile at Runcorn after a very long day and drive to find a complete disaster!

The location is not good next to the railway station and near busy, noisy roads but I suppose you cannot blame Campanile for that, or can you???

As soon as you pull into the car park in daylight you can see how run down the whole place is. The exterior paintwork is peeling and in some areas and in others is virtually non existent.

You check in at the bar and are sent over to your room in the accommodation block (I am sure many UK prison blocks are more pleasant than this place).

Externally:
>All the corridors and stairs are open to the elements.
>There is no lift and I have a very severe spinal problem and had to clamber up to the top floor with a very heavy case as I am travelling in the UK for a month.

Inside the room:
>As soon as you walked in the smell was terrible.
>The decoration of the room was in a very poor state and the room was dirty.
>There was a TV which I could not get to work until I discovered it was not plugged in to the only socket in the room. When I did get TV on, navigating the channels was so slow and there was no channel list, asked reception who did not have a clue. Eventually arrived at BBC News which was not where it usually is on Freeview ie Channel 80.
>As there was only one socket where do they expect you to plug in your lap top to work as I needed to OR phone charger etc?
>Horrible chair at desk.
>Plugs etc. get jammed down back of desk which is fixed.
>Bathroom terrible, badly damaged bath with side panel not properly in place.
>Advertise free wifi but that was unusable.

Anyway, even one night there would be unbearable so I found another hotel and moved. However, I was to stay there for 8 nights so they lost a lot of business.

If Campanile choose to keep this place open then I would close and completely refit the place before reopening.

Room Tip: I doubt there are any good rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Sonia B, General Manager at Campanile Runcorn, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Dear Mike11232014,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor,
I want our customers to have a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us, so I am really sorry to learn of your disappointing experience. I expect our rooms to be warm and comfortable. I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not reach your expectations.
I am also sorry to hear of your difficulty in climbing the stairs, however, if you had made us aware of this we would have provided you with ground floor accommodation on arrival. We were troubled to hear that you had difficulty accessing our wireless network, we have contacted our wireless provider to resolve the issue. We were sorry to hear about the problems you had with the plugs, if you need more we are happy to provide you with complementary extension outlets.

Once again I do apologise.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We went to Runcorn to see Rhydian at the Brindley, brilliant as usual and stayed overnight at The Campanile. This hotel did the job it was supposed to do, provided a base. It needed a bit of TLC externally and the room could have done with a lift. It is a budget hotel so you got what you paid for. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfy. We had a cooked breakfast in the Restaurant which was lovely and set us up for the day. There were tea/coffee facilities in the room. The water was nice and hot, a bath with shower over it. I didn't have an compaints and the staff were very helpful and friendly too. Would I go back there, of course I would if I was going to a concert and just staying overnight.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sonia B, General Manager at Campanile Runcorn, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Vixenval 2014,

Thank you for your review of your stay at Campanile Runcorn. I appreciate you taking the time to leave detailed feedback of your visit, and I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us. I have shared your kind comments with the team.
Thank you once again, and hope to welcome you back to the Campanile Runcorn on your next visit to Runcorn.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

like the last poster kids running around all night above us doing a rain dance then the fire alarm going off at 3am twice .
3 inch of dust on the shelves no cups and no apology from the staff very poor

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Kenneth H

Dear Kenneth H,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor
It is regrettable to learn that you found the room to be unclean as I always expect my customers to have a room that has been cleaned to highest standards.
I am sorry to learn of the noise disruption you experienced during your stay with us and you did not have great nights sleep. It really matters to me that my guests have a comfortable nights sleep. I do sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. A member of the team is all the time available and in each rooms you have a phone number in order to contact him. Also, the hotel is covered with CCTV.
However despite these measures we cannot always prevent the noise.
Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

Well me and my partner visited on the 24th, first we saw what looked as if to be vet similar to a american motel and very run down, then during the night we had kids running up and the hall banging on peoples doors! Then they set the fire alarm off! Didn't get to sleep until 6am!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Kayleigh W,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor
However despite these measures we cannot always prevent the noise.
Thank you again for your feedback, and once again please accept my sincere apologies.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Check in was poor as the person checking in decided he was going to cash up the till half way during the check in until I asked him if he was going to count a big pile of 1 pence pieces or check me in. During the night I heard a loud bang. Checked around and thought not much of it. In the morning I realised that the light above the bed where I had been sleeping had fallen off the wall and was only being held by the power cable. It looks like this has happened before as a screw had been placed through the lamp shade and screwed to the wall to secure it. If the power cable had not held I would probably be dead and not posting this now as if the heavy lamp base had not got me the screw sticking out he lampshade probably would have. Very poor maintenance indeed. I value my life so will not be staying here again and it has also put me off staying at any other Campanile hotels in the future. Staff were unapologetic about this during check out.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Sonia B, General Manager at Campanile Runcorn, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I was horrified to learn that you had a poor experience with us. I expect all of our rooms to be in a good condition so it is regrettable to learn this was not the case. Similarly, all items and facilities, such as our lamps are regularly checked by our staff, and any items that are not fit for purpose should be replaced.
This is completely unacceptable, and please accepts my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this undoubtedly caused.
I can assure you that this does not reflect the standard of service which we deliver to our guests each and every day, and I am sorry that on this occasion, we failed to deliver that service to you.
I would like the opportunity to investigate further, please email your contact details to runcorn@campanile.com and I will be in contact directly.

Kind regards,

Sonia B.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

I have stayed at the Campanile on several occasions due to work commitments. I find the staff to be very friendly and always make sure I have the same room.
I take my Labrador dog with me and I am always made to feel very welcome.
The housekeepers deserve a special mention as they do an excellent job of cleaning the rooms.
Definitely recommend this hotel for the good service and friendly face.

Room Tip: I always ask for Room 3 as it is near the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Thunder064,

Thank you for your review of your stay at the Campanile Runcorn. We appreciate you taking the time to leave detailed feedback of your visit, and are very pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us. We are particularly delighted that you found our location and facilities well-suited to your needs, and I have forwarded your kind comments to the team.

We appreciate your loyalty to our Brand, and hope that you will visit us again in the not too distant future. Thanks once again.

Kind regards,
Sonia B.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runcorn
Holiday Inn Runcorn
The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes
Best Western Everglades Park Hotel
Premier Inn Widnes Hotel
Premier Inn Runcorn Hotel

Been to Campanile Runcorn? Share your experiences!