“A welcome addition”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A welcome addition”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We have lived in Runcorn for over 30 years. Despite some fine architecture in and around (and even in the otherwise unpreposssessing Old Town) it has little to offer and certainly has never had a decent restaurant - until now. This family restauarant is a gem. It is warm, friendly, convivial and with good service. The food is of a high standard and the arrival of this place has been well worth the wait. It desreves our support.

3 Thank Alan J

Cheshire
“Fantastic food”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Went for husbands birthday with friends . Fantastic restaurant really nice food worth every penny. Will return and recommend to all.

1 Thank chloe0123
Dutton, United Kingdom
“Worth venturing into Runcorn for”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Runcorn is, unfortunately, one of those places that is best avoided unless absolutely necessary, particularly after nightfall. However, the lure of a new Italian restaurant found us there last Saturday night. There is a distinct dearth of decent Italians in our area, so we hoped that Gusto D'Oro would be a welcome addition. Booking was definitely necessary as the place was packed. We were seated near the kitchen at the back which didn't bother me, despite the previous reviewer's rather hysterical riposte that 'I couldn't stop thinking about the dreadful kitchen smell on my hair and clothes' (you need to get out a bit more).

Anyway, the starters, constituting spicy sausage (not particularly Italian, but it was delicious), and king prawns (a generous helping) went down a treat. Both of us had fillet steaks which at around £16-17 is not unreasonable. My only gripe was that you had to fork out extra for chips, which was mentioned when I requested chips instead of the customary veg and potatoes. Consequently, we ended up with both. The steak was done to my specifications (i.e. still alive) and the ensuing desserts (cheesecake and ice cream) were similarly enjoyable.

We'll definitely be returning, the service was friendly, they're eager to please and the prices are not at all unreasonable for the quality of food on offer. Makes a change to find a decent Italian as the closest we have prior to Gusto d'Oro's advent, was the dreadful and exorbitant Marco Marco in Acton Bridge.

3 Thank Adam-Gould
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Overrated and overpriced”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We booked here after reading reviews on tripadvisor. We booked for 5 and mentioned it was for a birthday. The little touches count and, sadly, no mention was made of the birthday. Shame.
We arrived and were taken to our table right in front of the kitchen. It is open plan and the smell is rather strong. Other than worrying about whether my back was being covered in the oil from the kitchen all I could think about was the smell. I had to shower as soon as I got home. anyway the food. The kids went for garlic bread which was good. Unfortunately my salmon starter was overcooked and was chewy. It is pretty hard to make salmon chewy. The 3 prawns that came for an other starter looked quite pitiful although it was ok. The mains came and I have to say they are a tad pricey for what you get. The pepperoni pizza went down well with one of the kids but the pepperoni was a bit lacking. The carbonara was fine as was the chicken on a skewer. The salmon main was cooked well and was not chewy as a result. My chicken, sadly, was overcooked and stringy chicken was invented. Just two puddings after quite a long wait to get the order in - ice cream (nothing to get wrong there!) and cheesecake - pretty plain to be honest. Then an interminable wait to get the bill and more time to be thinking about the kitchen smells in your hair and clothes. Not sure a return trip is on the cards as there are much nicer places nearby to eat at with better tasting food and more reasonable prices. Not such a 'golden taste' for us.

5 Thank lymtaci
“Delicious”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Me and my boyfriend went for a meal here tonight, food was amazingly nice I had gamberoni aglio for a starter, the sauce was full of flavour and delicious and then we both had spaghetti bolagnease which was very tasty and generous portion, we ordered a drink Inbetween starter and main course it took about 5 minutes to come an we got it on the house because of this. My favourite italian restraunt by far. Would recommend anyone.

2 Thank KayMx