“Disappointed at the lack of attention to details” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rochdale
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointed at the lack of attention to details”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2010

I booked on late rooms and got a good price for a romantic escape ,However that shouldn't effect my experience of the stay. At check in the receptionist said out loud the rate i was paying infront of my guest which was a little embarrassing,
Then i was told the meal for 2 wasnt available on the sat night in the restaurant as there was 3 wedding engagements , so we have to eat in the htl bar, which again was disappointing , we then had to walk up 3 flights of stairs as the lift was out of order down a musty smelling dark lit corridor to reveal a room over looking the bar area ,
I immediately complained to reception, told her my thoughts on the package i was sold and how it didnt meet upto expectation and the htl manger was very nice and upgraded us to the suite, which was at the Spa end of the HTL and smelt alot better in the corridors and much lighter and better decorated area of the HTL.

The room only had one towel , which i had to call down for another
I had to wait an hour for an ice bucket in the end i had to walk down to the bar to get it myself.
The chamber maids didnt change the soiled bed sheets where there was a major visible spillage.
The Only saving grace of this Hotel was its Day Spa , which is the reason i booked it as it looked nice in the photos , , however there were mosaic tiles missing in the steam room and a collection of them in the corner .

Overall I would say i would not want my wedding reception here , as i wouldnt even want to return myself to stay a night , i think there are much nicer hotels for the same money.

Im disappointed with the Mercure Chain of HTLs as i have stayed in many around the world , I dont like to complain , but if its not right regardless of what price you have paid its a 4 star rating is more like a 3star

The Staff were friendly but were inexperienced in customer relations

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Norton Grange Hotel in early September and I wanted to write a review for the hotel, because we had such a lovely experience and were made to feel welcome by the staff.

We stayed over on one Friday night and all the staff we encountered were friendly and professional and nothing felt like too much trouble. Our room was particularly decent - it was comfortable, had a lovely colour scheme and the bathroom was great - I love black and white floor tiles!

We were celebrating our anniversary and it felt really special eating in the restaurant with the warm atmosphere - dimmed lighting and candles. My boyfriend ordered steak and I had a burger and it was exactly what we expected from a 4 star hotel.

The highlight of the stay was using the spa and being able to relax together - in particular the 'outdoor pool' and the 'ice igloo' - very impressed!!

We agreed that we would definitely stay here again and we have recommended it to our friends.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Rochdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2010

all aspects of the hotel suited the needs of a large group conference, service, accommodation, facilities and food were excellent

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2010

We were booked in for a mid week mini break (3 nights) I felt the reception staff were polite, but not welcoming or friendly.
Our room was ok.. bit dissapointed there was no mini bar. Although the bathroom was clean, the corners of the shower had black mould ingrained into them and could have done with some steam cleaning & anti mould treatment.
The swimming pool and spa facilities were good, but again some tlc/maintenance work needed to chipped tiles and ingrained black mould. Beware of the wet floor between spa and pool.. I slipped and fell - it was lucky I didnt hurt myself badly. I wasnt the only one to slip!
I booked in for an indian head massage, and was told (when I arrived, not at the time of booking) that they didnt have a massage chair. I was told to lie face down on my front for a leg, arm then head massage. Since when does a HEAD massage involve legs and arms? I wasnt comfortable on my front, so the girl ended up giving me a facial as I lay on my back. I thought the head massage would follow .. no such luck. I reported my dissapointment to the spa reception afterwards - no remorse/no sympathy/no apology. NOT impressed. My husband had a back and shoulder massage.. he said it was mediocre and that the girl did not respond to his comments about the bits of his back he wanted doing most.
Last moan! (sorry but its best to be honest) neither of us are exactly skinny, and we found our bed very soft. We woke up with sore backs and necks, and after two nights of that we packed our bags and went home.
We explained to the main reception why we were leaving early, again no remorse/apology/empathy although a mumble about "could have seen about swapping your room" was heard.
Its a shame how the bad things stick in your head. We enjoyed the pool, and the sauna etc, and breakfast was lovely and the breakfast staff were nice too, but thats not enough to make me ever ever want to go back again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mrshappyanna237
Mr_Lynch, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2010
Thankyou for taking the time to comment on your stay. I am sorry that your visit was not to your satisfaction and must say that the troubles you have highlighted come as a great concern. Rest assured I will be taking action in these areas. In particular, the leisure and beaty department. I must also apologise that your issues were not dealt with in the proper manner. Please contact me should you wish to discuss these matters personally.
Kind Regards,
Surrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

I stayed in this hotel last night. The room was booked the previous evening via the Mercure Reservation system. When I arrived they knew nothing about my reservation. My room was very noisy, next to fans on the roof, facing the motor way. Room service poor. Food cold. Breakfast terrible.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I would like to apologise for the problems you had on arrival at the hotel. We have had some trouble with the online reservations system, which have now been corrected. Should you wish to discuss your dissatisfaction of your room and breakfast further, I would be more than willing to take you call.
Kind Regards,
Ivan Lynch

Travelers are raving about these Rochdale hotels

Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

We had a really great stay here and were very impressed with the service we received. It was fab to be able to kick back, relax and be taken care of. The staff are very friendly with nothing appearing to be any trouble. The facilities are of a very high standard with lovely rooms, lovely food and high cleaning standards.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
On hearing that you had such a pleasant stay at the Mercure Norton Grange, I was delighted. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback. I hope that your next stay will be equally as enjoyable.
Kind Regards
Stoke on Trent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

Staying here for business I had high hopes for a 4* Mercure, unfortunately, the hotel only half delivered.

Room cleanliness was no better than you'd expect, my first room had the remnants of a previous guests' satsuma in the bedside table, and the glass had not been cleaned to remove splashes of what we'll say is hair gel for this purpose. Reception arranged a new room immediately, and were apologetic. Room number two was much better, aside from filthy grout in the bathroom. The rooms are large, with a comfortable bed, plenty of work space and a decent Philips tv, and a trouser press.

The restaurant serves reasonable food at a good 20% more than it should be priced.

When a hotel is charging more than 100 per night, or calling itself 4* (or both) you should get the feeling the the hotel team is really trying. I didn't

• Stayed September 2010
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochdale
The Royal Toby Hotel
Birch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Heywood
BEST WESTERN Broadfield Park Hotel
Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa

Been to Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!