1,423 results
All reviews ice room steam room thermal suite relaxation room privilege room wedding party duty manager leisure facilities reception staff tea and coffee full english hayley robes manchester motorway
Reviewed February 14, 2010

I stayed 2 years ago and had mixed feelings... I thought I would give a second chance to this hotel. Well I was not disappointed.

They have refurbished the Bar with light colours, which makes it very welcoming. We had dinner on Friday night. The young waiter in the bar was very nice and attentive. He asked what we were thinking about the food, when we asked for glasses of wine, gave us the choice between at least 10 different wines. The lamb was delicious. My partner had the risoto which was very nice as well.
Bedroom and bathroom were large enough.
Saturday, we went for a massage: full body massage, 1 hour, £45 per head worth every penny! We took also the opportunity to discover the termal suite... What a relaxing moment: sauna, aroma room, steam room, igloo, jacuzzi... If you are brave enough, they also have a great fitness room.
Breakfast room is gorgeous as it has plenty of light.

Well, if you want to relax in Rochdale, definitly the place to stay!

Date of stay: February 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Mr_Lynch, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2010

Thank you for your extremely kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves at the Mercure Norton Grange Hotel & Spa.
I look forward to welcoming you back at a later date
Kind regards,

Ivan Lynch

Reviewed February 5, 2010

Stopped here for 1 night with my other half in January 2010.
First impressions weren't bad; our room wasn't ready but not holding that against them as we were early. Receptionist was fairly friendly and suggested we wait......it was us who suggested maybe we could wait in the bar and relax....otherwise we'd have been sitting there for a while.
Went for a drink only to find that no-one was serving at the bar. However, a quick call from the receptionist found someone who served us fairly quickly once she had found a slice of lemon to go with our G&T's.
When room was ready (still in time), we made our way up - lift was still broken from previous reviews and NOT impressed by decor and general 'feeling' of the hotel from the walk up to our room. Room in general was ok, nice and clean with all the basics you would expect and a lovely big bathroom; everything.apart from a mini-fridge really.
Made our way to the spa and although it was amazing, we had to figure it all out for ourselves. We were given 'brief' directions to it but nothing else.....had to work out that I needed to go back to our room for the robes as all they provided in the spa were the robes for those who had purchased the 'pamper day'; not those who had gone to the expense of booking an ENTIRE hotel stay !!.....this was confirmed by the receptionist in the spa after she'd watched me wander around for about 20 minutes looking for a robe.
Like I said, the spa was pretty good but some parts looked as if they could do with an update. The inside/outside jacuzzi was brilliant, as was the igloo and the lovely calm swimming pool......only downside was the relaxing chairs were full but we didn't go there just to use them really. The spa treatments include in the price were ok....my facial was nothing special with the beautician only being there for 10 out of the 30 minutes; however, my husband had the back scrub/massage and is still raving at how good it was so it depends on what you have I suppose.
We booked the deal with evening meal and breakfast. Evening meal was the tops; cooked to perfection and presented beautifully.......if only the same could be said for breakfast. Only slight 'dent' on the evening meal was the wine - we sent ours back as our first choice wasn't available then watched in disbelief as a young waiter unscrewed a bottle right in front of us which they were going to charge us £23 for.......and tasted like it was worth less than £3.00; no thanks....we sent it right back and reluctantly settled for another red which was a tad more inexpensive and had been allowed to breath a little after being opened (hey, it was worth it !!).
The room that night was lovely and quiet....I had paid extra for a 'superior' room and it was definitely worth the peaceful nights' sleep there.
Finally, breakfast was a big disappointment after the lovely dinner we had...shame really. Checkout was easy, even though they'd overcharged us for the wine....quickly remedied and sorted, along with an apology (of sorts......ie, 'no-one told me you'd had a different bottle of wine'....but hey, these things do happen !!)
Would I recommend it? Probably......if the spa staff improve their customer service techniques and the breakfast chef improves his cooking then yes, most definitely!!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit to the Mercure Norton Grange Hotel & Spa. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about breakfast and the customer service in the Spa, which we are addressing.
Kind regards,

Ivan Lynch,
Multi-Site Manager
Mercure Norton Grange Hotel & Spa
Mercure Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa

Reviewed January 13, 2010

beautiful hotel, excellent food, waiting staff very helpful and professional.
Sunday 10th Jan reception staff a real let down, didnt take my comments on board, kept my change, had to ask for it. bill was incorrect to my advantage and when i drew attention to the receptionist i owed money, she didnt thank me for my honesty.
i had booked the spa break for my husbands birthday, we werent shown round the facilities, we had to find them ourself. the free gift which was part of the package, i had to go back and ask for. there were no gifts for men. real feeling of being rushed rather than relaxed (could be because we had booked last booking of the day) a disappointing experience

Reviewed January 12, 2010

This hotel was an excellent find, not too far from manchester, but not too close that it's surrounded by a wall of noise either.
The breakfast selection was great, with lots to choose from, whether it was the full English or Continental.
Didn't eat dinner at the hotel, but from what we saw it looked good.
The spa at the hotel was a nice treat for a lazy Sunday morning, and was fairly quiet. The ice igloo was a nice touch, which we'd never seen before.

Would definitely recommend!

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2009

I booked a 2 night spa break package at the Norton Grange through hotel and spa break which included dinner, bed and breakfast on both nights and 2 treatments per person. Initially I was apprehensive because the deal seemed to good to be true, the reviews on this site were far from a ringing endorsement and the experience of booking a reservation by phone did not leave me reassured. I was pleasantly surprised then that despite arriving a few hours early we were given a room straight away, the staff were polite and friendly throughout our stay and the room was clean, spatious and comfortable. The food was good to and we had dinner in the Grange restaurant on both nights, an inclusive allowance of £25 each was ample given the size of the portions. The spa facilities were extensive with a large hydrotherapy pool that also extended outdoors, a swimming pool and a number of different saunas and steam rooms. The only disappointment were the treatments, as mentioned by a previous reviwer they seemed rushed and my body polish took about 15 mins. There were also minor problems such as the door to our ensuite needing a good shove each time to open it and a hen party cramming into the room above us and waking us up at 1.30am in the morning. We complained after about 20 mins thinking it would calm down and it duly went quiet again after another 20 or so mins.

Date of stay: November 2009