“Great Value and Friendly service”

Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rochdale
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great Value and Friendly service”
Reviewed July 12, 2009

Just stayed at this hotel for one night for a wedding. The receptionist was very welcoming, no hassle to check in, and booked a taxi for us when asked.

The room was clean and tidy with a really comfy bed, very quiet too.

The breakfast was a buffet style with hot and cold options and was very fresh and tasty. Coffee was decent (my yardstick for a lot of places!)

Spa was good, although could do with a touch up here and there in the Thermal Suite.

All in all no problems, all the staff were extremely friendly, even the cleaners asked if we were okay. It was £15 more to stay here than the Premier Inn, and is definitely worth it. I like the way you don't have to check out until 12pm, so you can make use of the Spa if only staying 1 night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Polish first
Bradford
Reviewed June 15, 2009

The hotel could be a 4 star but just falls short.
The food is very nice, with service a bit on the slow side.
The Spa is excellent, one of the best i've been in, very nice open air feature.
The room is where the hotel is let down. My room had has a 'lick of paint' but no more. The furniture and appliances were from the 80's. The little things that make it a bit special were just not there. Also there is no AC and the room got very warm.
I would give it a 3 star, and would only go there again if it were a very good deal!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
manchester
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Stayed here with my husband and a number of members of my extended family in order to attend a wedding. The hotel staff were pleasant and polite on check-in and the room that we had been given was very pleasant, if a little dark. The bathroom was large and well appointed, however I felt that the overall standard of cleanliness was not as good as it could've been.
We ate a meal in the retaurant that evening but there were a number of issues that needed ironing out. The first was that 6 pounds is a little steep for a basic sandwich, even by hotel standards, especially as the chips ordered to accompany it didn't arrive. This was made worse by the fact that my husband waited half an hour at the bar to order a round of drinks (the bar and hotel was not especially busy) and that we had to ask for the coffee's that we ordered 3 times before they arrived. This was made worse by the fact that no apology was made for this poor service.
The breakfast was generally good but the staff seemed inexperienced and uncertain. Also they seemed to be doing rather a lot of standing around chatting, which never appears professional.
Overall the hotel was nice and the leisure facilities and decor were very pleasant. I would stay here again but I would not eat in the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed March 10, 2009

We booked a one night stay and got a pretty good rate..65 pounds, but no breakfast (15.95 each if we wanted it in the room, we didn't). Room was ok, bed a bit lumpy and traffic noise from the adjacent main road. Staff were friendly. Ate in the main restaurant, pretty average and for the price no tablecloths, paper napkins and ordinary service. Food was ok but not exceptional. Location is good for motorways and at this price decent value but we wouldn't have wanted to pay much more.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Hartlepool
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I had to stay over night due to business in the area. I found this hotel by chance on last minute. I decided to book via the website for Mercure and found a fantastic rate.
I arrived at the hotel and the check-in was quick and easy. I enjoyed the Spa facilities and relaxed and forgot about work for a change. Dinner in the restaurant was very nice. The menu had just been changed and the quality of the food was fantastic along with service. Breakfast was very nice and very quick. I will definately inform any of my other colleagues to stay here from now on.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
everton
Reviewed February 24, 2009

My family and I stayed here overnight in August 2008 and had a fabulous time.We had coffee outside (upon arrival) whilst our children were busy discovering the hidden "cave" from a lit footpath at the main entrance.Staff had told us that every bride and groom married at the hotel had their names on plaques inside the cave- this, I thought, was a lovely personal touch and looked great too!!
Our rooms looked brand new and the decor was stylish and elegant- nothing fussy! very clean with an amazing power shower in a marble bathroom. The food was fantastic and catered for children -a full menu to suit all tastes. Breakfast was amazing- eat as much as you can - cereals continental and cooked - we had everything! We had use of the spa facilities (as a guest) and all I can say is WOW - children are allowed into the pool but not the spa- this is for adults only and we had never seen such facilities in a hotel in the UK-there are steam rooms, saunas, plunge pools and even a waterfall pool room which has no external walls at one end so is open aired! Even with children, we just took it in turns to experience this luxury! I rounded my stay with a treatment in the beauty parlour whilst my family sat in the bar and watched the footie on sky!!. We had a wonderful time here and were made to feel welcome by the friendly staff . We would recommend this place to anyone young or old! Take care not to drive past it though, the hotel is set back from the road and the signs were hard to see.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Manchester, UK
Reviewed February 17, 2009

I booked the hotel as a last minute surprise for my boyfriend when our Valentine's weekend plans fell through, and found a great deal at only £60 for both of us including breakfast and use of the spa the following day.

The hotel is a strange mix of styles (modern/traditional/with some leftover 70s touches!) but the bedroom was obviously newly decorated to a high standard (we could still smell the paint) and the bathroom was lovely, clean and spacious.

We ate in the restaurant and the food was absolutely gorgeous. The portion sizes were much larger than we envisaged, and my partner's starter was large enough to be a main! The food and the wine were both divine, and I wouldn't hesitate on recommending it. Breakfast was also lovely (part self-service buffet, part table service).

The bar was very quiet (but it was the night before Valentines day) by 11pm we were the only 2 people in there; the barman started to clear up so we felt awkward asking for more drinks and ended up taking our remaining drinks to our bedroom.

Overall the staff were polite and courteous, and even went to the trouble of printing out directions for us the next day.

The best part about this hotel was the spa. You can utilise the facilities for the whole day after your stay if you wish - large swimming pool, sauna, steam room, aroma-shower, aroma-room, and bio-sauna, and the best bit - the heated jacuzzi pool with the indoor and outdoor areas was lovely, the outdoor area looks out over the grounds and is really peaceful and romantic, it even has a waterfall.

For the price it was a great weekend and I would definitely return, but it's probably not one for a group of friends, unless you are partying locally.

• Liked — The food and the spa
  • Disliked — The quiet bar
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochdale
Best Western Hotel Smokies Park
Birch Hotel
Birch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Heywood
Comfort Inn Manchester North

Been to Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!