Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
$47
Agoda.com
$71
$69
Premier Inn Rochdale Hotel(Rochdale)(Great Value!)
$77
$53
Travelodge Bury(Bury)(Great Value!)
$40
1,183 results
All reviewssteam roomice roomthermal suiterelaxation roomchanging roomsduty managerleisure facilitiescourse dinnerreception staffbar priceswedding receptionwedding partyfood was lovelylots of choiceplenty of parkingfrom start to finishbuffet style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We booked the hotel as just somewhere to stay as we were visiting friends and wanted somewhere cheap and cheerful. Our room (323) was a good size and very clean. The bathroom was lovely and had a big shower and a bath and was spotless. The bed was very comfy.

We decided to use the pool for an hour before going out. When we got to the spa the girl working was apologetic as there were no lockers available in the ladies changing room. She did not offer a solution just apologised so I am not sure what the outcome would have been if I hadnt suggested my boyfriend lock my stuff away in the men's changing room. She was also apologising to another hotel guest who was being charged £5 for the use of a robe. I do agree that I have never been to a spa before where you pay for a robe. I do agree that a deposit is acceptable but not payment. The spa area was clean and well maintained and was a very relaxing experience. I agree with other reviews that if looking for a full spa day this might be a bit disappointing as we had tried everything in just over an hour however it was lovely and I could have stayed for a couple of hours.

The disappointing service was reception at night. I needed some painkillers in the middle of the night but didn't have any so rang reception in case they had some or a vending machine with them in. The man answering the phone said he would find out and call back. 40 minutes later we had not heard back so my boyfriend called down and simply got the response that they didn't think they had any. I went down to reception to ask for directions to a petrol station to buy some but there is just a phone on the desk. I called the phone and explained i was going out to buy some painkillers was told someone would be with me soon. I waited 10 minutes and still nobody came. Luckily for me a very helpful guest arrived back in the meantime and helped me.

Overall I appreciate this may have been an unusual request and I wasn't annoyed that the hotel didn't have any painkillers but I was annoyed at the lack of service. I wouldn't however let this put you off - for £62 for a Saturday night the hotel was very good value.

Room Tip: 323 was away from reception so not lots of people going past. You could hear the function room but it wasn't loud enough to stop us sleeping
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you encountered problems with the customer service within the hotel; I will be dealing with this as it’s clearly unacceptable. We pride ourselves on exceptional service and we normally have great comments regarding our staff.
It is pleasing to note that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us.

General Maanger

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We booked a 2 night romantic spa break through Spaseekers, and were really looking forward to it. The hotel looked nice on the web, and we were ready for a relaxing weekend.
On arrival, we missed the entrance as it was dark, and the sign wasn't lit up - when we managed to turn round on the busy road, the lights had come on, so we were there! The entrance road could do with better lighting, as it wasn't obvious where to go, and there is a bit of a hill, so can't see which way the road goes. Managed to park ok, and made our way to reception.
We were greeted nicely, and hotel check in was fairly simple, although there seemed to be a bit of confusion over the booking through Spaseekers. We, other guests have mentioned, didn't have the robes already in the room - but no problem, they were delivered to the room promptly.
The room was quite pleasant, but definitely in need of a spruce up! But acceptable.
Evening meal had been pre-booked, and restaurant was nice, staff very nice and chatty. Food was excellent, so no complaints at all on that front.
Following a reasonable nights sleep - Bed was a bit creaky! We had a lovely breakfast, and again staff were very nice.
We then went to the spa for pre-booked treatments. Staff in the therapy room were very friendly and made us feel at home. Sessions were very good, but I apparently talked too much - wife could hear me through the walls!!!
Off to the pools and steam rooms, which were a little underwhelming! Functional but no frills! Having been to Eden spa, Aqua sana spa and Bath's thermaspa before, this was a little disappointing - But still relaxing, which is what we were after.
The restaurant had been booked for Saturday night too, so went down for our meal. Was a lot busier that Friday night, and had to wait 5 mins for the table, but not a problem. Food was again very good, but our wine order took a while to come, but as they were obviously busy it was acceptable. Delay on food wasn't too bad, but a reorder of wine didn't arrive until we were ready to leave! But we took it to the bar to have a night cap. That's when we noticed there was some kind of party on in a function room - Went back to the room to rind we were right above the function room (207) and people had obviously opened the side doors to the patio, which made it very loud in our room! We shut the window, but still loud music above the sound of our TV.
Tried to block it out, but wife was getting a bit annoyed! Then it got a bit quieter - The outside doors had been shut. Made it better, so carried on watching some B movie on the TV.
Unfortunately the doors kept being opened during the night until after midnight when the music stopped, but that was followed with screaming, shouting, chanting - general drunken mischief until nearly 2am !! There were moments of quiet, but not for long! I know this hotel obviously needs to do functions to provide revenue - But when 'Romantic spa breaks' are being catered for (Which aren't cheap) at least room allocation should be considered for guests that have paid for relaxation!!
Anyway, we did get to sleep eventually, woke up feeling a bit groggy! Had a good breakfast and another spa treatment, then checked out.
I did mention to the reception staff about the noise, but apologies don't really sort it! We were also overcharged for drinks / food which did add insult to injury!
Overcharge was credited, but no offer of anything for our ruined night!
Anyway, sorry if this seems a bit of a rant - but it had to be said!

Room Tip: Ask about any parties that may be on - and try to be as far away from the function rooms as possible.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following on from your recent stay with us at Norton Grange. I am sorry to hear that you had encountered several problems during your stay especially with the noise.
Unfortunately from time to time we do have functions and events on and this does cause problems with noise travelling through to other rooms within the hotel. I do hope that this does not put you off staying with us in the future.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

The hotel is advertised as a 4 star hotel. I suspect that is because it has a new Spa and Pool area. I would have awarded it a 3 starr - wanna be 4 star hotel.
Internally the building is tired - not to 4 Star standards.

The bedroom - whilst small - (it was a double bed but for a single person booking) , was very nice, clean and had all the amenities ( no mini bar unless you ask for it I guess). The bed was very clean and comfortable.

The two disappointing parts of the services were (a) The reserved , not so friendly, staff and (b) the ridiculous price of the breakfast.

(a) Staff were not trained to 4 star standards in my opinion. They were curtious but curt. I ordered desert at the bar and I was over charged. I pointed out the oversight and it took at least 15 minutes to get ££ back from a not so friendly bar tender - who blamed it on her colleague.

I ordered a cappuccino at breakfast time and asked for an extra jug of cold milk with it, when I asked for the milk on the arrial of the coffee - the server looked at me as if I had two heads and said - "But there's milk already in the coffee".......... ahhhhhhhhh - I was so exasperated. What bad service and such ignorance.

I asked the receptionist for an early checkout ( the night before) so that I could leave quickly in the morning but that was not possible unless they put through the payment after midnight.... I told them that this was fine - but would they mind putting the bill under my door after midnight - which they promised to do , but never did.

When I asked for this bill again in the morning - having queued up again, I was told that the porter had it on his list but he didn't get around to it. I then asked for the bill - recieved it after a huge wait for the printer to kick into action, and when I opened the envellope in the lift it was the WRONG bill.

(b)I also mentionned to the receptionist that I thought the £15 ( yes £15) charge for breakfast was extortionate - she said - " I just work here" "Sorry" - what an excuse!!! She could have been trained to react a bit more loyally to her place of work.... she could have said " Ah , but our breakfast is renound or the best locally etc etc". this is not a 4 Star response.

Stay in the hotel but don't have expectations of great service. it's mediocre, however the rooms are clean and the bed is very comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments, its surprising to hear that you had problems with the service within the hotel I will ensure that these are addressed with the team as its clearly unacceptable. I do hope that this has not put you off staying with us in the future and thank you for your constructive comments.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

we had another lovely stay at the mecure norton grange. The spa was fab as always. The only downside for us was our cold and noisy room.I had emailed the hotel previous to our stay requesting a quiet room.Upon arrival the receptionist was lovely and said we were away from the function rooms.
But we were looking out over the busy road and was kept awake alot by traffic noise! Also we were very cold in the room even with the heating on full..Which is unusually for the hotel.We did mention this as we were leaving.The room is also facing the stairway so we were woken by rude guests coming in after midnight.( not the hotels fault)
We will be returning to the hotel as we love the spa and the staff were all lovely but we do not want to stay in room 314 again.
overall this is a great hotel lovely and clean fab spa and good location.

Room Tip: Eat out at the toby just 10mins up the road fab food lovely atmosphere
1  Thank hellcat1
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the hotel, it’s great to hear that you enjoyed the majority of your stay. I apologise for the noise you had to endure from one of the weddings we had on.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We have just returned from this hotel and i really could not fault it. We were in a privilege room and it was beautiful. Everything u would need is in your room and the bed has a lovely firm matress and a duvet you just don't want to get out from underneath.

We spent 2 days in the Spa which is great, the area of the jacuzzi where u can swim up and be out in the fresh air is great.

We did not eat in the bar but it did look nice and prices were reasonable.

There was a wedding on the Saturday night but we did not hear a thing and were not disturbed, both nights we got a very peaceful sleep.

We will be returning in the future.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel. It’s always nice to receive such great reviews; I will pass on your thoughts to the rest of the team and look forward in welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.