“Grinds to a halt if a wedding is on”

Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rochdale
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I've waited a week to write this review, as for a number of reasons which i'll explain in a moment, i felt the need to complain to the receptionist upon checkout, and was told the duty manager would call me, well i've waiting a week and no call, so time for a honest review.
We booked into the Mercure as my husband had a meeting in Manchester on the Saturday early evening, but wanted something 'out of the city'. I'd had a lot of imput into choosing a spa hotel, as although we didn't know what time we'd arrive having driven up from Surrey so couldn't book any treatments in advance, as it had a pool & gym, plus onsite beauty salon, i was hopeful to be able to book something upon arrival.
We arrived at the same time as a wedding reception was arriving, reception was a little chaotic, but on the front desk it had a sign up from the Spa saying they were quiet on that day and had lots of appointments available. We checked in, put cases into the room, other half zoomed off to his meeting, and i wandered down to the spa, only to be told by the spa receptionist that they had nothing available for the day. I mentioned about the sign on the front desk, and she looked puzzled and explained that they'd been fully booked since early afternoon, and had asked for the sign to be taken down a while ago. Oh well i thought, perhaps a swim, but no, it was full of kids. So back to the room.
Hmmn, a nose around the room to see what we had available. Well i could have used one of the two old and frayed bathrobes, but upon inspection of the bathroom, the sight of someone elses pubes on the floor somewhat put me off having a relaxing bath.
What about room service. Having accepted that ok £5 tray charge is high, but would be nice to have afternoon tea, got no answer from reception when i rang down, but put this down to them checking in the rest of the wedding reception guests, so no afternoon tea for me then.
Time for a wander down to the bar. Hey its 4pm but i'm not going anywhere and the other half took the car, so why not a cheeky glass of wine. Well if the bar hadn't been jam packed with wedding guests, i may have gotten a drink, but i didn't fancy standing around for another 15 mins to by a rather expensive glass of wine, so back to the room i go.
Further investigation in the room i finally found a small black wooden box hidden in a cupboard, this i discovered contained the tea bags etc - so time for a self made cuppa. Fill kettle up, plug it in, fired up the laptop and logged onto the internet, 20 minutes later i realise the kettle hadn't boiled. Get up, check the kettle, its getting warm, so i leave it be to continue the slowest boil in the world. Another 20 minutes later and if final reaches a boil. And doesn't stop, boiling water going everywhere, all over the desk, so i just switch it off at the wall. Somewhat cautiouly i tap the handle - scorching hot. So i have my sensilble hat on and decide to get a flannel from the bathroom to use to lift it. Nope. A luxury room and no flannels provided. One SOCK later to lift the handle and i finally get a cup of tea (i guess its true the english will do anything for a cuppa). In the couple of hours i then spend in the room, i notice that one of the wardrobe mirrored doors is missing, and if you want to close a window, you risk your fingertips in the 'Thatcher-era' windows that are still in use (press this-pull that-wiggle the knob-all at the same time - suggest you get a octopus to help).
Other half returned later in the evening so we ventured down to investigate dinner. As the wedding was on the main restaurant was closed, but they were serving food in the bar. They seated us at a nice table, and the waiting staff were very good, but there was a hen party in one part of the bar and i've never heard 8 women cackle like witches on drugs like that before. Dinner was a bit of a non-entity. I had fresh pasta (the kind that takes at most 5 mins to cook) however it was undercooked and chewy. The other half had a burger but it was starting to go cold by the time we got it. Dessert was ok, but a lot of 'style over substance'. Ever heard of plates? A trifle does not need to be served on a wooden chopping board. We did mention the some underwealming aspect of our meal to our waitress, who did kindly provide a free baileys for me, but to be honest the meal itself was adding to the sense of dissappointment of the stay.
Time to turn in once we got back to the room (about 10.30pm) but sleep took a long time to come, as we were staying in a room opposite the function room/disco, and the music went on until midnight. Now i understand that weddings have discos', but surely it would make sense to put the wedding guests staying at the hotel in the rooms directly opposite the disco? It didn't help that the guests kept opening the fire doors onto the patio and were talking loudly whilst smoking, and also letting the sound out.
After ranting on for so long, i suppose i should say that breakfast was ok, but it was only after spotting the menus on the tables and asking if the items were available to order (porrides, eggs benedict, kippers etc), that they staff said yes. They'd originally just pointed us in the direction of the hot buffet and cereals.
Checked out and mentioned to a helpful reception the issues we'd had, but our moods reflected in the weather, we were both left a bit soggy and depressed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank welshiesgirl
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review following on from your stay with us. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and appreciate the comments you have made regarding the weddings we had on within the hotel during your stay. Unfortunately from time to time we do have events on that disrupt the normal service of the hotel due to these events taking up space that would normally be used and enjoyed by our other transient guests. However you have made some valid points that I will act on straight away to ensure future guests enjoy their stay.
If you would like to speak with me directly about your stay please do give me a call at the hotel.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions but visit last week was a real disappointment. THe taps and kettle in my room did not work, we had to repeatedly ask for our drinks at dinner and reception took at least 15 mins due to a rather disinterested receptionist. On the plus side the dinner was surprisingly good and the wine excellent and reasonably priced.
Despite the above, this is one of the better hotels in the Rochdale area.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SB01
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the hotel. I am sorry that it was not as good as your previous visit and I will ensure that the issues you raised are corrected.
Look forward in welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

My wife and i visited on a spa day with afternoon tean package. The spa facilities are very good and we enjoyed the open air jacuzzi and steam rooms etc.

We followed a couple of hours of lounging around in the spa with a back massage each and it was brilliant. The atmosphere was so pleasant and the staff where very professional at their jobs and we left feeling very relaxed. The treatments were the highlight of our visit.

We then finished with afternoon tea and although there was a nice variety of cakes on offer i was disappointed with the sandwiches which tasted very bland and seemed as though they had been kept refrigrated for some time. Its only a small thing but all sandwiches were on white bread only (brown should be included) and none of the crusts had been removed. That sounds pathetic but those details are what you expect when taking afternoon tea at a 4* hotel. There also seemed a shortage of staff and it took an eterninty standing at the bar in order to pay for our wine.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to the Spa & hotel. It’s great to see that you enjoyed your experience. I apologise for the wait you had whilst paying for your wine and will pass on your thoughts to the rest of the team.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Comfy beds, good location (for us at least, as our grandparents live in the road opposite and we were staying at the hotel as they didn't have enough room), friendly staff.
The breakfast was especially nice - full english options, toast, fruit, juice, pastries and also a menu you could order things like eggs benedict from.

The rooms were clean and the beds and duvet high quality. Bathroom was clean and modern and you got little biscuits every day as well.

I only wish I'd brought my swimming costume as the spa facilities looked amazing.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. It’s nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Hard to know where to begin. I had 5 rooms before I was given one where everything worked and was clean, safe and of a normal acceptable standard. Room 215 right next to noises room, light bulb broken. Room 218 disabled room, dirty, awful bathroom. Room 313 jelly mattress as it was completely collapsed, no pressure in shower (as reported by another reviewer). Room 326 bulb broken, towel rail electrical connection hanging off held on by black electricians tape. Room 326 (upgrade) all ok.
Dinner 3 people - ordered bottle of white wine, got red. Waitress went to get correct wine, didn't have it. Ordered different white wine, waitress came back, didn't have it. Offered alternative that was disgusting. Gave up the will to live and had another G & T. Guests soup was tepid. Belly pork served with POP CORN and TOMATO KETCHUP!!!
Hotel bill - tried to OVERCHARGE me by £200+ nearly doubling my bill. Absolutely shocking experience.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Tavuk

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel. I was extremely disappointed to hear that you had encountered several problems with your stay, it’s unusual to have so many issues and I am dealing with them to ensure none of our future guests suffer from them.
We have checks in place to ensure that the hotel exceeds our customers’ expectations during their stay which obviously did not take place during your visit.
I would like to apologise for the lack of standards, if you would like to speak with me direct regarding the issues you faced please do not hesitate in contacting me.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

stopped here on yet another business trip, the rooms are a decent size, and there is plenty of car parking, its also got some nice views over the country, and is well placed for Manchester etc. food in the restaurant was good, but a bit pricey, breakfast was great and staff were all friendly and helpful. the only minor complaint is that whilst the beds are fine, they are not of the best quality, and the mattresses probably need replacing, as they are clearly well worn. but I would still stop there again

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tangsoored_11

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I will pass them onto the rest of the team.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hotel is beautifully set and the pool and spa area and gym are wonderful and included in the price. We did not stay for the evening meal but did stay for breakfast which is a 10/10 and the staff are all wonderful and so friendly and helpful, the rooms are spotless and spacious. I was in room 216 and this was a large family room and was at the rear of the hotel and very quite whereas I did have family members in rooms 301 and 306 and they did complain to me about no sleep due to road noise and being above the entertainment where two weddings were taking place. If you are staying here and not part of a wedding or celebration and not likely to be up until the early hours ask for a room away from the noise of the entertainment. I would definitely stay here again and it is priced really well and nice to see a hotel that does not charge extra for children :) Also location is hard to guide because it depends where you want to be. We had a tournament in Manchester but even though this is 20 minutes away it was much nicer, cheaper and family friendly and if I ever had another tournament in Manchester I will still stay here rather than in Manchester centre itself. The only downside is that we did not get there until tea time and the pool area is closed at 7pm at the weekend but 10pm during the week. A little suggestion is open the pool area later at the weekend but still all in all a wonderful stay

Room Tip: if your not with a party taking place there ask for a quiet room away from the entertainment. Large...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for your great review. I will share your thoughts with the rest of the team and look forward in welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Damon Yoxall

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochdale
Best Western Hotel Smokies Park
Birch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Heywood
Best Western Broadfield Park Hotel
Village Hotel Manchester Bury

Been to Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!