“Lovely Spa Break”

Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rochdale
“Lovely Spa Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

I booked a deal through spabreaks direct and was certainly not disappointed! When we arrived we were warmly greeted by whom i assume was the manager of the hotel, and then checked in with the friendly and helpful receptionist.

The room was lovely and spacious, with everything you need in a hotel room, and comfy beds, with an amazing bathroom - it made me wish we had booked more than one night! The only slight downside is the lack of air conditioning in the rooms, which i can imagine can be slightly problematic when it is really warm, as it has been recently.

Dinner was great, again very helpful staff who were more than happy with offer assistance when learning of my friend's gluten intolerance. The breakfast was also really nice.

The spa and spa treatments were fantastic - we felt very relaxed by the end of our stay. I was less than impressed however with the girl on reception at the Spa, we arrived at the Spa at approx 09:30 on 10/08/2013 and the girl wasn't friendly at all. When we left at about 1pm she was still there, again incredibly unfriendly which I pointed out to my friend, who agreed. Although this was a great hotel, I would have rated this hotel and spa 5* if it wasn't for the poor customer service offered by this member of staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent Spa break. It’s great to receive nice reviews especially about our food and service. I will ensure your thoughts are passed onto the rest of the team.

Damon Yoxall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Polish first
Dewsbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Visited for a one night spa break. The hotel appears to be an old castellated house which has been expanded with a more modern surround and leisure facilities. While this sounds odd, it does actually work quite well and gives the interior some interesting features in the bar and restaurant which were previously exterior walls/windows/archways of the old house. The hotel is not new but appears to be well maintained. All hotel staff were helpful and friendly. We were able to arrive early for spa treatments and check in later. Lunch was very nice (well filled sandwiches came with crisps and a small cup of soup) and excellent value. The hotel facilities were really good - the gym has excellent equipment, the pool was warm, the jacuzzi was large and with a really interesting open-air aspect, and there are 2 saunas, 2 steam rooms and an ice room. The best was saved for later, as we had a really lovely evening meal - the local fish was particularly good and perfectly cooked. Hotel breakfasts can be quite standard but this one was just a cut above the norm with eggs cooked to order and good quality sausages - we were again impressed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us, its great to see you enjoyed your time at the hotel and our great food. I will pass your comments onto the rest of the team and look forward in welcoming you back.

Newquay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Booked a adjoining family room for a 3 night stay .
Found the staff very friendly and they let us use the pool while the room was being readied .
The room was very tidy and well cleaned as was the kids room next door .
The spa facilities were very good and the large pool was very warm which was great for a gentle swim but too hot for training .
We had breakfast every day which was excellent with a large selection of cereals ,fruits ,English breakfast favourites as well as a extra breakfast menu with things like Eggs Benedict .
We ate once at the restaurant and had an excellent experience .The manager (Rama) was very attentive and made the whole evening very enjoyable . l would definitely stay again .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your kind words, it’s always nice to receive such fantastic reviews especially about our great staff. I will share your thoughts with the rest of the team.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for two nights. The hotel is beautifully located with picturesque surroundings. The staff on reception were very helpful and warned us that there was a wedding on for both of the nights we would be staying but explained that they had placed us in a room as far away from this as they could and that it shouldn't disturb us - it certainly didn't disturb us. The room was clean and comfortable and had black out curtains which were ideal for our stay. The bathroom was very clean. the food in the restaurant was delicious and very reasonably priced.

We went to the Ethiad Stadium to a gig on our second nights stay and returned quite late, there was a wedding on but we certainly couldn't hear it when we got back to our room.

Staff really shone in the early hours of the day we were due to check out. I unfortunately woke up to find my partner had taken ill, it became evident quite quickly that he needed an ambulance. I could not have asked the staff for anything more than they did. A soon as I rang reception, they rang an ambulance, the lady on reception then stayed on the phone to me whilst we waited for the ambulance to arrive and the manager then came to our room to stay with me whilst the ambulance arrived. He brought fresh water and I was very thankful to have him there in a very scary situation. When an ambulance arrived, I realised I didn't know where the key for our room was but the manager assured us he would let us back into our room when we returned, he was very understanding and said not to worry about our belongings being in the room after check in time. When we returned from the hospital we found out they had booked our room out for that evening for us 'just in case' we had needed it. The manager let us back into out room with no problems. I can not thank the staff enough for everything they did for me and my partner during our stay.

Would definitely stay again and not just because of the staff.

Room Tip: If there is an event on try and get a room at the other side of the hotel - you will not hear. Ting!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I spent a Friday and Saturday working and relaxing with colleagues. This was our second visit and once again we were welcomed by the friendly staff who looked after us very well..my only reservation was the food which had definitely declined from last year. My asparagus at dinner was so overcooked it had disintegrated. At breakfast there was no smoked haddock so I opted for the buffet full English which was lukewarm and all the eggs were overcooked. All other aspects of my stay met expectation.

Room Tip: In hot weather avoid rooms on the top floor as they get very hot and there is no air conditioning.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your kind words, it’s always nice to receive such fantastic reviews its great to see you enjoyed our meeting facilities. I will share your thoughts with the rest of the team.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel following a birthday party held at the hotel. Although a little dated in some of the public areas the views from the restaurant and reception is really beautiful and you would not believe you are only a few minutes from Rochdale or Middleton. The reception staff were very polite and check in was smooth. The main bar staff were excellent, very helpful and polite. The only slight issue was that as there was both a wedding and party some of the bar staff were very inexperienced which led to slow service at times but they were still friendly. The room was very warm as no air conditioning but as mentioned in another review a quick phone call brought a fan but it was clean and well equipped. We upgraded to a Prestige room which possibly is not worth the extra £20 but there is a mini bar with complimentary soft drinks and a Nespresso coffee maker and a nice treat. The staff definitely make this hotel and Rama deserves a special mention as he certainly went the extra mile. I spend over 150 nights a year in hotels on business and this would rate as one of the better ones I have stayed in over recent times not because the decor is perfect because it isn't but because the staff are some of the best I''ve experienced.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Whiston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We've stayed there in the last weekend of July. It was very relaxing: we took advantage of the warm pool water (there is also a heated outdoor pool which is not advertised on the official website), the saunas and the peaceful atmosphere surrounding the hotel. Everything is very clean. Very impressed by the job that the waitresses have done during a very busy weekend for them. The food was great and there is a good range of drinks at the bar, as well.
Definitely going back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your kind words, it’s always nice to receive such great reviews I will pass them onto the rest of the team.

Damon Yoxall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochdale
The Royal Toby Hotel
#1 of 1 in Heywood
The Victoria Hotel
The Victoria Hotel
#3 of 12 in Oldham

Been to Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!