This is a review only of the hospitality function the hotel hosted in conjunction with Oldham Athletic FC prior to their FA Cup fourth round match versus Liverpool on Sunday 27th January 2013.
Unless you're desperate for a ticket, based on the experience of last Sunday, Caveat Emptor should apply! Please let me explain why.
To begin with the cost was rather on the high side being as it was £100 + VAT or £125 per person. So what did my wife and me get for the money?
As perhaps you'd expect we each got a stand ticket priced at £25. In addition there was a match programme at £3 and a car parking pass at £5. So far that's £33 spent, meaning that the remaining £67 was used for transport to and from the ground/hotel, the host[s] fee and the three course meal.
However, when I tell you that the lunch consisted of soup and roll, followed by a tiny, overcooked chicken breast with mashed potato and a few carrots which in turn was followed by a small piece of cheescake for the sweet, you will hopefully agree with me that someone made a stinker of a profit! I /we did not receive value for money; indeed I would go as far as saying it was a rip-off!
I have no objection to any business making a profit but this borders on the indecent!
Clearly what I'll never know is whether it was the hotels' fault the meal was so poor i.e. were they given enough money per head by the Club or did they choose to provide only the most basic of lunches?
Whatever the truth may be, it's an absolute certainty that the mistake won't be repeated!!
So, for anyone else considering Oldham Athletic's hospitality in conjunction with the Norton Grange Hotel the advice should surely be, "let the buyer beware"!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in it's own beautiful grounds, the Mercure Norton Grange Hotel and Spa caters for the needs of each individual. Leisure facilities and car parking are complimentary to all of our guests. Please check with the hotel for dining availability as our restaurant can be closed at weekends for private functions. Please also note that child pool times apply. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, ACCOR, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Norton Grange Hotel Rochdale
- Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel And Spa Rochdale, Greater Manchester