“Review of the restaurant”

Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rochdale
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Norton Grange is a lovely building on the outskirts of Middleton and we chose to go there for our Christmas lunch this year.

I have to say first off that the service was very attentive and very smiley which I was not expecting from staff having to work Christmas day. Unfortunately our experience of the meal was less satisfactory.

We opted for the "Gourmet" lunch at £55 each.

The starters were adequate but nothing special.

The main course I chose was the roast turkey dinner which consisted of turkey, roast potatoes, carrots, a slice of stuffing, a pig in blanket and 2 sprouts. Now I am not a big fan of sprouts but looking round at the rest of the diners at my table, everyone else seemed to have a good portion with the exception of me, then hubby pointed out that he didn't have a pig in blanket.

Hubby had Christmas pud for desert which he said was nice, but the crumble was extremely dry and tasteless, not what you would expect from a gourmet lunch.

Next the coffee turned up without the cups and the mince pies that were on the menu and included in the price didn't turn up at all.

All in all, the meal was edible at best but certainly not gourmet standard and at £55, I certainly won't be booking for next Christmas.

Well done to the hardworking waiting staff - kitchen - you can do a lot better.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SunshineSoozy
Donald_Stewart, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Sue

Thank you for your comments regarding your family Christmas day lunch. Your feedback has been noted and there will be changes made to the Christmas Day lunch menu for 2013 which will include 2 extra courses and a review of standards. I am sorry that you had encountered problems and would hope that you would give us another opportunity next year, if you would like to speak with me directly about this then please do not hesitate in contacting me.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Stayed at Norton Grange for one night at beginning of December 2012 to attend annual BDB get together. Always very cold weather that time of year!!!

Hotel gave us a good dinner with a variety of choices and served in a very efficient way.

Also had a good breakfast and a comfortable room.

Staff have always been helpful and obliging but even more so this year.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Donald_Stewart, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review following on from your stay with us at Norton Grange. It’s always nice to receive great comments about the staff; we look forward in welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We found a dirty pair of male underwear in our room on arrival, unfortunately my fiancée had the misfortune of picking these up obviously never expecting…

We were offered an alternative room due to this & the unacceptable noise from a Christmas Party but the room was exactly the same in design & standard despite being told we had been ‘upgraded’

Also we were advised to use room service to dine as long delays were expected in the restaurant due to the Christmas Parties at the venue, despite this we were still charged a £5 room charge

Hugely disappointing as the hotel & reception staff were very pleasant & helpful

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent nights stay with us. There is no excuse for sub standard cleaning and I have addressed this with my housekeeping company to ensure corrective coaching takes place.
Regarding the noise unfortunately during weekend in December we do have Christmas festivities taking place, we do the best to minimise noise and allocate rooms in quiet areas but on some occasions we do have to allocate rooms near the function suites. I am sorry that you had encountered problems and thank you for your comments.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Well I put a review on tripadvisor after a stay in Sept 2012, The review I posted was a true reflection at that time, However after being contacted by the "Correct" Manager and not the one that caused the problem (The Desk Manager) I can fully endorse what Mr Yoxall, has put in place after my complaints, He is trying to improve the image of the hotel and it's staff, I would back his vision and attention to customer satisfaction
The review is based on his attempts to correct our initial impression, which has succeded

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for updating your review following on from your stay in the summer. I have dealt with the problems that you encountered to ensure that no one has to go through similar circumstances. I appreciate your comments and I am glad that we have come to some arrangement regarding the issues you faced.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

My friend and I bought a spa experience from a daily deals site. We were impressed. The young man on reception was pleaant and helpful. The pool was a tad too cold for our liking. There was a good selection of facilities, a steam room, three different saunas, an ice room and great hydrotherapy pool. We loved standing under a hot waterfall whilst open to the elements in December. There was a nice view from it over fields. Bits of the spa looked a little tired but we noticed its having a refurb later this month. We finished off the spa day with a manicure in the beauty suite. The staff were lovely, did a great job, and it was nice that complimentary refreshments were available. Liked it so much we are going back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following on from your Spa day at the hotel. I will pass on your comments to the team in the Spa and look forward in welcoming you back in the future.

General manager

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Enjoyable stay, staff were friendly and helpful, rooms were tidy and clean, although a lack of refrigerator and some toweling such as face washers detracted slightly, the restaurant was excellent with good food and friendly staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Donald_Stewart, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review, I am glad that you found the hotel to be homely and friendly. It’s always nice to receive great comments about the staff and I will ensure your thoughts are passed on.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed here with my girlfriend. I found the staff to be very helpful and attentive. The rooms were very clean and spacious. The facilities are excellent with a hydrotherapy pool and gym. Best of all was the food. I had the rib eye steak which was cooked to perfection congratulations to the chef. Breakfast was excellent also. The waitress who worked in the bar the evening before was extremely polite and helpful towards us. We had spa treatments that were expensive but overall My girlfriend enjoyed the experience.

Room Tip: try the ribeye steak medium..........mmmmmm