“a real tea room with great food and service”

Healey Dell Heritage Centre and Tea Rooms
Ranked #3 of 35 things to do in Rochdale
More attraction details
Owner description: The Healey Dell Heritage Centre & Tearooms is set within the Healey Dell Nature Reserve. Step back in time and enjoy the Edwardian themed splendour of these fabulous, authentic tea rooms where speciality beverages and delicious food is served from the finest bon-china. The Healey Dell Heritage Centre & Tea Rooms offers wheelchair access & ground floor facilities, an all year round heritage display, guest exhibitions showcasing the work of photographers & artists, a Fairy Grotto available for private hire for children's parties. Free wifi - Dogs welcome in the ground floor Heritage Tea Room. We also have outdoor seating in the Fairy Tea Garden with full waitress service, - Horse Tethering - Secure cycle area and an abundance of free parking. Most weekends will find a guest pianist at the grand piano. Special social events throughout the year - room hire. These authentic vintage tea rooms (one on the first floor and one to the ground) serve traditional cream teas, full afternoon teas, snacks and a variety of quality loose-leaf teas served from fine bone-china. Probably the most unique venue you have ever visited! The centre & Tea Rooms are open every Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Bank Holidays from 9am. For full afternoon teas, please try to book two hours in advance as a great deal of preparation is invested into each serving. Table reservations welcome. All room available for private parties.
rochdale
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“a real tea room with great food and service”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Totally agree with the previous reviewer. I also had a voucher from Amazon local. Booked in for the kings High Tea. Staff had a table ready for us, and didn't need to check the bookings.
The room is beautifully done, a real traditional tea room. I remember this building when it just had a meeting room, with the plans for a tea room. Looks as if its never been anything else.

the staff are all volunteers, but it is extremely professional, speedy and friendly. the staff all know what they are doing (including the 2 13 year olds!).

And - being a bit of a fan of afternoon teas - I've had a few. this is one of the best. Beautifully presented, loads of finger sandwiches, with a good choice of fillings. We managed them all between us! A good sized scone and jam each. Finished off with tiny petit fours and chocolates.
Tea or coffee.

Unobtrusive music by piano or guitar. all the food being served looked good. the 3 layer Victoria sponge made the whole tea room say "OHHH" as a couple of slices were brought to a table!
We will definitely visit again, and perhaps go for a walk next time!

Rochdale, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A little gem”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a little gem. I'm hesitant to publicise it in case it becomes too popular, but on the other hand it cannot go unnoticed any longer...
I had an Amazon Local voucher and my wife and I decided to take my parents (both in their mid 80's) for an afternoon treat. Admittedly the road from the southern entrance is 4x4 material, but that is not the fault of the volunteers who run the place. My suggestion would be to approach the place from the northern end.
My parents declared that the last time they were in Healey Dell was when they were courting!!! So, to say it's been a while...
We had the High Tea and were absolutely delighted. The staff - ALL of whom are VOLUNTEERS - were exceptional. The sandwiches, scones, cakes and fancies all beautifully fresh and a lovely range of teas. If you want a quick high tea then maybe you should go somewhere else because the eats are made to order and this takes time. It might be a bit on the expensive side but hey, you're contributing to the re-development of a piece of history and a resource that Rochdale is desperately in need of to attract investment.
Absolutely fabulous afternoon and my parents were overjoyed.
I take the point about mobility and recommend that, if this applies to you, when you book ahead you advise the person taking the order that you need a downstairs table. There is a small, tabled garden area for those with muddy boots and there are accessible toilets downstairs too. All I can say to Janice and this hard working band of volunteers is a huge thank you for a wonderful afternoon, well done and more power to your cause.
I noticed there are a couple of other commercial developments in progress in the vicinity so good luck to them as well.
We'll be back, and soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Fabulous Victorian tea rooms and very welcoming staff”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Having not been to Healey Dell for a few decades I brought my daughter, grandson and dog for a walk to show them where I often went with my grandparents as a child. The walk along the viaduct, river and waterfalls was wonderful, but the highlight of the day was coming across the delightful heritage centre and tea rooms. We sat downstairs in the new heritage room which was grandly decorated with beautiful photos of Healey Dell on the walls and elaborate chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. We were attended to by a charming young volunteer and promptly brought our chosen teas and ploughmans all served on China. It was obvious the staff had been extremely busy on this lovely Sunday afternoon but they were still smiling and more than happy to have a chat with you. Two volunteers told us that some visitors are rude and wanted to complain if service wasn't as professional as they had hoped, so perhaps a note on the front of the menus telling customers that staff are volunteers would make these type of people appreciate just what a wonderful place they have come across and enjoy the experience of delightful teas and food at extremely reasonable prices. I certainly won't be waiting as long to go back again.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea Heaven!”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Recently visited the tea rooms as part of a group of friends celebrating my girlfriend's birthday. Not being from the area and having never heard of Healey Dell I stumbled across it on the internet and, after reading the reviews on TA, decided to book a table for a Sunday lunchtime. The tearooms are beautifully decorated - warm and welcoming on what was a dark, wet day. We'd prebooked the afternoon tea for each couple and it was simply superb - a great selections of sandwiches, lovely scones, cream, jam and a selection of mini cakes - all served on fine china. Portion sizes were good and, at £15 per couple, excellent value. Service from the young staff was professional and attentive. Healey Dell itself is a beautiful area with various woodland walks and viewpoints. Our visit to the tea rooms was a lovely treat and one we definitely intend repeating in the near future.

Visited September 2013
rochdale
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Great place!”
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Came here on a Sunday afternoon and had a really good experience.

Layout is fab and the staff are really friendly, especially the young volunteers who can't do enough for you.

Set in a beautiful location.

Food is really good, just slightly expensive for what you get.

A 10-10 experience!