“Ok food but service good”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Wine Press

The Wine Press
Ranked #28 of 294 Restaurants in Rochdale
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Ok food but service good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Had lunch here she panini me fish and chips, great chips just like chip shop chips batter crispy but fish tasted bit soggy like from frozen, no complaints about panini .
Drinks I settled for simple water she lime soda no complaints only a query " what tap water ?" Strange retort as many kinds of water available . Maybe being a bit picky but the waiters not sure what country they are from Italy possibly are very friendly and helpful always buzzing around. Young female staff seem less so chatting stood at bar but it was quiet but male waiters continued to busy themselves no doubt owners possibly
Would go again just not order the fish

1 Thank BangkokBill786

Middleton, United Kingdom
“Brilliant in every respect!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

This was our first visit to the Wine Press and it couldn't have been better the staff were very pleasant and helpful we got shown to our seats with a view over the lake!. Drinks served quickly, nice starter, great Vegi meal for me and a nice choice of Vegi meals overall which makes a change and the special sweet was delicious. They even brought extra plates as we shared both starter and sweet.
This place is a little gem!
The waiter even opened my wifes sparking water and poured it!! Something that hasnt happened for a long while.
Colin and Julie on their 40th wedding Anniversary

Manchester, United Kingdom
“What a let down.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

I'd had high expectations of the Wine Press, as the Bellavista is spot on with everything. However it was a real let down.
The tables were scratched and dirty on the floors, with peeling paint dropping off above the windows. Taking our food orders was incredibly slow. I went to the bar to ask if we actually had to order there as nobody was taking our order despite staff milling about. The Italian waiter originally from the Bellavista was friendly and professional and it's this was gave the service an extra mark on the review.

After ordering our food came quickly, was presented nicely, and fair portions for the price. However my food - goats cheese in parcels was underdone, but wasn't terrible on the taste, the side order of mash incredibly lumpy. With large pieces of mash and very hard. My partner enjoyed his mussels and thought the portion was good value for money. My son had burger.

However the real let down was an incident we had whilst paying.
My boss gave me a voucher in 2011 - as he does all the staff on birthdays. It was only partly used on our first visit, so the staff had given us a receipt for the extra, and after checking the voucher, nothing was on about expiry so told us it was an open date.
We visited again in 2014 and handed the voucher in on payment, only to be told it was too old and she had to telephone through. The lady was nice enough but I felt unprofessional in her dealing with this matter. Everyone at the bar was looking on as she rang, not the best of feelings - made even worse when the lady came back to say no-one was answering and the voucher wasn't valid, then the phone rang and after speaking to who I presume was the boss, she said she'd honour it. But said next time we had to use the full voucher. I felt this was something she needed to raise with any staff who might have given us the extra voucher as change - not us - the customers - and in front of a bar of people.
I then asked what the expiry date was on them, and she told me I was misunderstanding and again, kept telling me I'd have to use the full voucher, I had to repeat my question a few times explaining I'd have to pass the info on to my boss so he knows to inform the recipients of the vouchers. "when is the time limit in which to use them". Eventually she said: 'about a year' - to which she showed me a bundle of original vouchers - which was proven to have no time limit on. (she said she couldn't read the writing on them as it was too small).
I gave up at that stage and was glad to pay and leave.

I won't be returning soon. And honestly, I wish I'd gone to the Bellavista instead.

2 Thank mysonjohn
Slaithwaite, United Kingdom
“Very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

Visited a few weeks back with my husband and enjoyed it so today brought my parents for lunch.We all enjoyed our lunch,service was good our waitress friendly and helpful and it was a lovely sunny day .Only downside is the parking with elderly parents that can't walk far .

“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

My daughter decides she wanted to have her 19th birthday meal here for a change, so I rang up and booked for the 9 of us, they seemed busy. We say sat at our table and wait he's a long time for our order to be taken, food didn't seen to take to long average I'd say, i'd say table service wasn't that good and the staff need to be more confident , I had to break up a conversation between 3 staff for a some desserts, we asked for the bill and I was astounded that they had already put on a 10%service charge( not a chance I was paying that ) after I had to wave a few times for drinks , we resigned to the bar area for a final drink, I found the going waitress long blonde hair wavy very rude, miserable , and unprofessional , but as the evening ended the whole team seemed that way , after waiting 40 mins for aTaxi not one of the 4 staff spoke to us , I was horrified by the whole encounter tonight and will not be returning back , we waited over an hr for a taxi and not one team member spine to is as they did the close down, I found the whole team unprofessional inexperienced and a lack of customer service ! Don't think I'll be in a hurry to return !!!

3 Thank Xamoore