“Most stress-free stay before a flight I have experienced”
Review of Meadow Cottage

Meadow Cottage
Ranked #3 of 5 Redhill B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2013

What a beautiful place! A lovely farm house but with a modern airy feel inside. The rooms had tea and coffee making facilities, TV, wi-fi, towels, en suite and small toiletries (no hair dryer). The room was very warm and the bed comfortable. It was set in a beautiful garden, I only wish I had stayed in the summer to make the most of it!

The owner very kindly made arrangements for me to leave my luggage at the guest house outside of checking-in hours (due to a bereavement she had limited staff) and when I checked-in the lady was very helpful, recommending nearby places to eat. She also booked a taxi for me (which didn't arrive although she did warn me it was a company they have never used before-TWILIGHT taxis, so do not use them!). In any case the lad gave me a business card with other taxi firm numbers on I could use if this taxi did not arrive. The journey was very quick (5 mins) and cost £10

I left so early that I cannot vouch for the breakfast (I just can't eat at 5 in the morning!), but cereals and fruit were left out for me. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any milk or juice though!

I have already recommended this place to my family, it just had a lovely atmosphere to the place and I have never had such a relaxing pre-flight nights sleep, thank you!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PastyPascoe99

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We wanted to stay in a convenient place to Bristol, Cheddar Gorge, Wells Cathedral and Bath! Meadow Cottage seemed the ideal place! We found it to be clean, comfortable and in a beautiful situation! The room was on the small size, but cozy! The two dogs were very welcoming!

I do think the place could do with the following for guests staying for longer than an overnight convenience for the airport!
1. A clear sign at the end of the road or a bigger sign near the cottage saying where it is!
2. A welcome pack in the rooms- informing guests about the total self-service breakfast!
3. Lights to be left on hallways and stairways in the evening!
4. Hair dryer in each room

We realise that our host unfortunately suffered a bereavement on the day of our arrival and Liz did do a grand job for us, informing us of local places to eat, and how to find an alternative way to get to the park and ride in Bristol! We enjoyed our stay here and we couldn't believe our luck with the weather in early Ocober! It is ideally situated for visiting the places we wanted!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We booked this place as it was close to the airport and we didn't want to have to get up too early. The place looks very nice and has obviously had a lot of money spent refurbishing it but perhaps could have been done better. The person who checked us in was obviously not the owner and a bit on the frosty side but we paid our money and were shown to our room, number 10, through the eating areas and up a steep, narrow, and unduly dark flight of stairs. The room was quite small and cramped but clean and tidy nevertheless. There was no information pack or fire safety instructions but a small drinks menu with prices but no indication of where or how to buy these drinks. we had brought our own food and drinks anyway as we had read other reviews about the location and with no transport we were stuck for the night.

The rooms could certainly do with a bit of soundproofing as we could hear other guests coming up the stairs and then talking and the sound of their TV when trying to sleep, although as this bed was the firmest, most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in, an experience made even worse by the super soft and flimsy pillow, sleeping that night was difficult and I spent most of the night tossing and turning with aching bones. The experience was even worse due to some low level electrical humming noise which may have been coming from the kitchen below or up in the roof. It wasn't loud but the sort of humming that once you notice it you can't block it out and didn't help me trying to sleep at all.

The self service breakfast is a disgrace with cereals still in their packets and it was a case of find what there is and get on with it with no staff around to guide you. Not sure what an environmental health inspector would make of this.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stluciafan62
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I booked this hotel for myself and boyfriend, after booking a last minute holiday we wouldn't land until the early hours so I thought it best to book a hotel as we don't live locally. I booked his hotel over the phone and explained our landing times and sent the flight numbers, the owner offered to book a local taxi firm as it would be cheaper and we would pay the cost on top pf the room bill, this seemed hassle free and I agreed. I never revived a confirmation email of our arrangements so phoned to confirm before we went away, she gave me the taxi firms number and name, so we would know who to look out for.

We landed at 2am and waited 30 minutes with no taxi, I phoned the taxi firm she booked the taxi for the day before!! The taxi firm informed me this was not the first time she had a mix up with days when landing early hours. The taxi firm luckily said they would pick us up straight away which was very nice of them.

On arrival to the hotel, we had previously agreed a self check-in. The driver said he would show us the front door and helped us look for a note and a key! I found this a bit unorganized and unprofessional. The note told us room 4, looking on the website before hand I was under he impression there was only 4 rooms so thought it would be easy to locate our room, how wrong was I!!

The room was apparently to the right through the front door, across the dining room and up the stairs. There are 2 dining rooms to the right so it was very confusing at 2am after a long flight lugging our cases around a creepy cottage. Felt like something our of a horror film. Whilst we were trying to find our room the owners dog was barking loudly so she was awake and didn't come out to help us locate our room.

After a 15 minute search we finally located our room where I was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean cosy and comfortable looking. My boyfriend being 6ft 2 did have to be careful not to hit his head when walking through the doorways. The bed was so comfortable! he bathroom was new and everything was immaculately clean. There was even a TV in the room which I wasn't expecting in a cottage type accommodation, however I always imagined cottages to be dark and dingy this one was very light. There was a note on the bed when we got in the room explaining breakfast times and checkout times, which I was surprised was 10am after a 2.30am arrival it was hard to get up in time for 10am breakfast.

We did arrive for breakfast 9.55am so understandably there was no cooked food left, although we could still help yourself to toast, cereal and fresh fruit. There were 4-5 tables which was bigger than I was expecting with a self serve kitchen. We met the owner in the morning who couldn't do enough for us. I asked about the taxi problem and she said she rang them to confirm and it was their mistake.

So we will never know who's fault it was but overall this hotel at £56 per night including breakfast it is really good value for money and I would use this B&B again. I would just book my own taxi;s from the airport here to avoid any confusion!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
ThatchedMeadow, Owner at Meadow Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

I am sorry if there was some confusion about the taxi transfer, the sompany monitor incomming flights, but guest need to call once they have cleared baggage collection.

We do clearly indicate on all our booking sites that a manned reception closes at 22.00, but we do try to accomodate check ins out side of this time, with door codes and instructions. We are only a smalll property and I am afraid I cannot be available at 2am and again at 7am for breakfast and other domestic needs.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We have stayed at Meadow Cottage three times this summer and couldn't be more pleased with it. We find it provides a terrific night's rest before an early check-in, and being only 5 minutes drive from the airport makes for a relaxed start to what can otherwise be a stressful checking-in experience. We have always stayed in the Deluxe Double - Room 13 I think - which is spacious, and very quiet and comfortable. I can't comment on the food as we have always taken our own sandwiches, so as not to be at the mercy of local pubs and catering - and left early before breakfast. Only negative would be very patchy (bordering on non-existent) wi-fi reception - but I know that all too often comes with a rural location and isn't directly their fault.

Room Tip: DeLuxe double is very spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Located very close to Bristol airport (£9 taxi there) it's one of many places offering B&B with parking, aimed at people flying out early the next morning. It's located down a narrow country lane and has a very awkward entrance into the small car park by the house. You park in the field below the house if you're there for longer - make sure you park in daylight as walking up in the dark would be tricky.

Very friendly welcome from the staff (not the owner), who was also helpful with local knowledge.

The room (number 3) was small and right next to the breakfast room so quite noisy early in the morning with people heading for the early flights. A minuscule shower room, but comfortable enough. Nearest pubs are about 5 miles away so probably worth eating before you check in. Breakfast at 7:30am was help yourself - enormous kitchen with toasters, fruit, cereal, coffee facilities, just dig in. Not sure whether they actually cater breakfast later on.

At £60 it wasn't the cheapest B&B in town but excellent location and very friendly.

Room Tip: Not room 3 - very noisy due to proximity to breakfast room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank BudeSeaPoolSue
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We booked this B&B for a night before travelling to Turkey at 7.30 the following morning. We were 3 adults, 2 children and a small dog! We booked the family room and a single room and paid a small additional charge for bringing the dog. I contacted the B&B prior to booking to check whether we could have breakfast that early in the morning and the room arrangements as we didn't want my mum to be staying too far from the family room. They replied quickly and said breakfast was self service and available at any time.

We arrived later than expected at 9pm and it was starting to get a little dark, but the directions to the property were good and it is very close to the main road, but appears quite rural in its outlook. We were easily able to park and were greeted by 2 Labradors who were very keen to meet our dog and wanted me to throw the rather moist tennis ball, being a doggy person, I happily obliged!

We were greeted at the door very warmly and told that although we had booked a single room, she had put mum into the double room next to ours so she was nearer to us. The rooms were lovely!!! The family suite consisted of a separate bathroom with a bath and very large shower over; a king-sized bed in a room and there was a small staircase leading up to the attic where there were 3 single beds.. it was gorgeous, the children (and the dog) loved it. The whole area was separated from the other rooms by a large door so they were free to walk around our whole suite without worry. Mums room was a small but adequate double with ensuite shower room.

There were tea and coffee making facilities in each room, although our kettle was missing, lovely towels and the bed linen was lovely. The beds were very comfortable too.

We were shown the breakfast facilities ready for the morning: there is a very large kitchen containing toast making section with lovely granary or white bread; hot drink making facilities and a fridge with yoghurts, fresh fruit, juices and milk/butter, in the dining room there was a large array of cereals and jams, marmalades, chocolate spreads, peanut butter, marmite (anything you could want to put on a piece of toast!).

They do serve drinks so we sat on the very large patio and had a drink before bed, while our dog played with the labradors in the very large garden!

The rooms were very nice and we were pleased with the stay and the breakfast - Self service was ideal for our needs.

The only negatives were:
It was in a semi-rural location and the farmers nearby had obviously sprayed the fields recently, the smell was a little horrid, but not a problem if, like us, you are used to being in the country!
They had recently cut the large lawns, but the grass hadn't been collected, so we were walking everywhere with clumps of cut grass on our shoes - again not too much of a problem, but we walked around without shoes to avoid messing up the carpets!

We would happily return if we needed accommodation in the area and will be recommending to all our friends that need to stay before flying from Bristol.

Room Tip: Family suite is superb if you have children, the attic room has a low ceiling height but is great fo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family