“Great improvement”
Review of Hall & Woodhouse

Hall & Woodhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Hall & Woodhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 43 Restaurants in Portishead
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
BRISTOL
“Great improvement”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Have visited several times (6) and had one lunch time bad experiance,last week booked for dinner upstairs,arrived on time 7.30pm shown to table and ordered drinks all arrived within 5 mins,ordered food both had steaks,food arrived by 7.50.
very pleasant and looked after despite being busy,finished the evening with desert and coffee.
Only comment was that the steak a little tough so maybe they should talk to their supplier.

Bristol
“A little disappointed”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I came here with a friend one lunch time. I ordered the steak and I'm afraid it just wasn't up to scratch. It wasn't very wide and tasted quite tough. I ordered the stilton sauce to go with it but it came in a little pot still cold. When I complained about it the waitress seemed quite pleasant, although she just made the excuse that they serve it cold because otherwise the stilton would be congealed. Well that's nonsense because I've had this before in a different restaurant and it came out lovely and warm. So not a good enough excuse for me, sorry.

Overall I think it's not a bad place. It seems quite friendly and clean.

• Visited November 2012
Bristol, England
“It's been better on previous visits”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is my 4th visit to H&W and I love the ambiance, its always busy and has a "hum" about it. You will see I reviewed it after my first visit and gave it high praise.

The food has always been a bit on the pricy side, but tasty so we come back, however, I am disappointed after our visit with family on Friday for a birthday treat.

The service was good - except a rather long wait for pudding but they apologised for this.

The food though, left something to be desired. I was disappointed with my pork which was overcooked and dry and my husband was disappointed with his mash which was also tasteless and dry. The puddings - we had the selection of 6 mini puds to share - were a great disappointment.

Whilst I'd like to say this will not put us off returning - we might consider somewhere else first before we do.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Stylish and great atmosphere, food fine but could be better”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This bar has been expertly furnished to create a stylish venue on the marina in Portishead. The service and atmosphere is warm and friendly and it's a great place for adults to meet and spend an evening with friends.

The food has the potential to be excellent but a few things let it down. The chicken tart in brine had a wonderful flavour and was tender but it had been spooned into an oversized, hard crust pastry case (surely not made on the premises). I could see the bottom of the pastry case! The toast in the toasted prawn and pepper starter was too hard, but the prawn/pepper combo was lovely. The chef must have a problem with bases. The monkfish wrapped in ham was great as was the lobster fish bisque. The wine list could be more adventurous too.

Service is friendly but it is the sort of place where three staff stop by your table during the meal to ask are you enjoying your food. Then after declining dessert another waitress stops by 5 minutes later to offer us the dessert menu. A small thing but one would expect service to be a little slicker in such a smart and stylish venue.

Overall I'd recommend it for a night out with friends and will eat there again without hesitation but I hope they iron out some of the small stuff that stops the place from being exceptional.

bristol
“Kid and dog friendly”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We always frequent the H&W in Portishead. Love the kid games, live music when available, choice of drinks and food, and welcome nature towards dogs. It is a great place to meet up with friends and their families, after work or for a great steak upstairs. Such diversity, keep up the good work

Visited July 2013